Giant Defy vs TCR vs Propel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

Jfkma wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:27 pm
Yo, do you guys know what bottom bracket the TCR Advanced SL uses? I think it's bb86 but I'm not sure as the website doesn't specify. I've also looked on here but didn't find any definitive answers.
This is what I found on the Japan website, hope it helps

https://www.giant.co.jp/giant19/bike_da ... ifications

SHIMANO BB72-41B Press Fit (BB86)
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jfkma

by Jfkma

Ah, thank you!

parleez1

by parleez1

Ordered a 2019 TCR Advanced SL 0, Black/Gray/Red frame with Red etap! Anyone have one? Hope to have it next week.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Great choice, hope we´ll see pictures.
I´ve had Advanced SL ISP few years ago and it was great bike.

parleez1

by parleez1

Roadrocket wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:14 am
Great choice, hope we´ll see pictures.
I´ve had Advanced SL ISP few years ago and it was great bike.
Road rocket, thanks, I will certainly post pix after I receive and get set up. Only change I see right now is the saddle and possibly a shorter stem. Been reading about tubeless tires v. Tubeless ready tires. Depending how I like the stock Giant tubeless tires I might try something else, perhaps Hutchinson tubeless ready or ...?

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

parleez1: Will be a perfect bike for sure. What size are you buying? Stock wheelset won´t you change?

parleez1

by parleez1

Roadrocket wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:22 pm
parleez1: Will be a perfect bike for sure. What size are you buying? Stock wheelset won´t you change?
Roadrocket, I’m getting a M/L frame. Planning to ride the newer stock SLR-0 wheels, they are now 42mm deep rims, reviews I have read were good. Any thoughts on them? I’m coming from Enve 3.4 tubular wheels, so they will be different. Not sure about tubeless and the Giant Gavia AC 0 tires. I can always replace wheels, but for now I will ride stocky, I am not racing.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

I am 6ft and I was riding M size and fits great. I didn´t ride those wheels, sorry. But according to reviews I think they will be very good even on racing, if you will in future.

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

I have the older (2017) SLR1 wheels which are 30mm deep. They are quite good. I'd imagine the SLR0 wheels, especially in 42mm, would be even better. The stock tires, though, suck. Just slap on a pair of Vittoria Corsas (or your fav tires) and tubes from the get go.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

parleez1

by parleez1

Roadrocket wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:19 am
I am 6ft and I was riding M size and fits great. I didn´t ride those wheels, sorry. But according to reviews I think they will be very good even on racing, if you will in future.
Surprised at 6' you are able to fit on a size M, perhaps you have shorter legs and a longer torso than I, but a size M with its shorter head tube would never work for me at 5'11".

parleez1

by parleez1

LiquidCooled wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:28 am
I have the older (2017) SLR1 wheels which are 30mm deep. They are quite good. I'd imagine the SLR0 wheels, especially in 42mm, would be even better. The stock tires, though, suck. Just slap on a pair of Vittoria Corsas (or your fav tires) and tubes from the get go.
Been looking nto the Hutchinson Fusion 5 Tubeless Ready tires, not sure I'll run tubeless or with tubes. Do you run yours only with tubes? Are you able to fut 28mm tires on the frame? I have a set of tubulrs running Vittoria Corsa Elite tires, very nice! I'll read some further reviews on tires, have plenty of time to make a change.

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

I only run with tubes. I can't be bothered with dealing with tubeless, especially since I don't get a lot of flats (knock on wood). I run a 28mm Vittoria Corsa on the rear without a problem. There's plenty of room for it. That tire measures 28mm wide on the SLR1's rim. In the front, I run a 25mm Corsa, which measures 27mm wide. I really don't need a 28 on the front, but there's easily room for it.

Edit: By the way, I have a TCR disc. I reread your posts and I think you're getting the rim brake version. I believe the frames are essentially identical and so the wheel clearance should be the same. But I do not have direct experience with the rim-brake version, so I'm not 100% certain.
Last edited by LiquidCooled on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

parleez1

by parleez1

LiquidCooled wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:37 pm
I only run with tubes. I can't be bothered with dealing with tubeless, especially since I don't get a lot of flats (knock on wood). I run a 28mm Vittoria Corsa on the rear without a problem. There's plenty of room for it. That tire measures 28mm wide on the SLR1's rim. In the front, I run a 25mm Corsa, which measures 27mm wide. I really don't need a 28 on the front, but there's easily room for it.
I'll probably give tubeless a try, can always switch back to a tube/tire set up. I'd like to try a 28mm tire, at least in the rear for added comfort.

Thanks!

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

parleez1 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:05 pm
Roadrocket wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:19 am
Surprised at 6' you are able to fit on a size M, perhaps you have shorter legs and a longer torso than I, but a size M with its shorter head tube would never work for me at 5'11".
Maybe I am not good example, because I really like racing body position and you´re right too, my legs aren´t very long(33.5´´ inseam). I think M/L would fit me too, but with higher stack and I´d have to cut seatpost more too.