Assos apparel questions

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

biwa wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:01 am
Can anyone that has experience with their evo7 leg warmers comment on their quality and functionality? For colder weather rides, I'm debating getting the leg warmers or another full tights.
Yes, I have a couple pairs of these. They are very good. The key is to make sure that both they and the bibs that go over them are tight fitting. If anything is loose they may not stay in place. When everything fits properly they are perfect. They flap that extends up the thigh is brilliant. It allows one to wear regular bibs intead of thermal bibs on colder days. As for temperature range I'd say down to the freezing point if you are riding hard. Otherwise down to about 5 celcius. Over 10 - 12 celcius and I prefer knee warmers. Again it depends just how hard you are riding.

As to sizing, I am 183 cm and 79 kg with decent quads and size 1 works perfectly.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

RTW wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:53 pm
ryanw wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:13 pm
L.BONKATIGHTS_S7 - Ultimate freezing weather bib tights, super expensive.

LL.MILLETIGHTS_S7 AKA LL.bonkaTightsMille_S7 - Bloody freezing conditions like the above, but less technical garment (cheaper).

HABUTIGHTSMILLE S7 - Cold conditions.

LL.HABUTIGHTS_S7 - Same as above but more technical garment hence the big price increase.
Would you like a job?
How about really simplifying the labeling? Summer - Spring/Fall - Winter as the base for labeling nomenclature and leave it at that?

TonyM

by TonyM

velomane wrote:
TonyM wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:23 am

I meanwhile ride with front and rear flashing lights in the winter and the summer since I live in Canada (that was not necessary where I previously lived in Germany and in Switzerland)
Hey Tony,

Is this a comment about the local motorists? I've been riding with a rear flashing light for a few years now. Can't trust the locals to pay attention to what's going on ahead of them i.e. me on a bike.
Yes better safe than sorry...

TonyM

by TonyM

@RTW: Thanks for listening to the customers!
Many brands don’t do that anymore and that explains why they slowly lose market shares...

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

RTW wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:53 pm

Would you like a job?
Lol, I'm good thanks mate! Just dumbing it down for all (myslelf included).

Still loving my Equipe Evo bibs but definitely looking to purchase some 3/4s and some full winter tights.

Just bought a pair of your Bonka socks to see how they compare to Woolie Boolies etc.

Your Bonka gloves are they best I've ever used. Nearly £100 here in the UK but worth every penny!
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

GaBa

by GaBa

I would simply naming e.g. jackets like this (and the same would got for tights):
- spring/fall jacket
- early winter jacket
- winter jacket

Can’t understand why complicating woth any other names is necessary. I got the naming before mille line showed up. Understand it somewhat now as well but would really simplify it even further.

In terms of fit and technical development you guys are in a league of your own though :)

c60rider

by c60rider

GaBa wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:22 pm
I would simply naming e.g. jackets like this (and the same would got for tights):
- spring/fall jacket
- early winter jacket
- winter jacket

Can’t understand why complicating woth any other names is necessary. I got the naming before mille line showed up. Understand it somewhat now as well but would really simplify it even further.

In terms of fit and technical development you guys are in a league of your own though :)
I suspect winter in some areas is arctic compared with much milder winters in other climes. I think a simple temperature range and how to layer up would also be suitable to add to a simple description making it easy to find the range of garments that you're looking for.

TonyM

by TonyM

c60rider wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:26 pm
GaBa wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:22 pm
- spring/fall jacket
- early winter jacket
- winter jacket

I suspect winter in some areas is arctic compared with much milder winters in other climes. I think a simple temperature range and how to layer up would also be suitable to add to a simple description making it easy to find the range of garments that you're looking for.

Castelli gives the temperature range for their products.
It is anyway just an indication as everybody is different when it comes to feeling cold (ask the women/ wifes...LOL)

TonyM

by TonyM

BTW, do you guys spin your Assos bibs etc.... in the washing machine?

I never did but I am wondering if I could.....

c60rider

by c60rider

TonyM wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 pm

I've always machine washed mine and have 3 pairs of some near 10 year old s5 bibs that I still wear regularly. I do a 30 degree delicates wash so it's the slowest spin the machine does. I always turn the jerseys inside out and zip up so that prevents possible catching. Never had a problem at all. I recall the s5's came with a little bag that you were supposed to pop them into when you did wash but I was never convinced it would get them thoroughly clean so I didn't bother using that after a while.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

c60rider wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:31 pm
TonyM wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 pm

I've always machine washed mine and have 3 pairs of some near 10 year old s5 bibs that I still wear regularly. I do a 30 degree delicates wash so it's the slowest spin the machine does. I always turn the jerseys inside out and zip up so that prevents possible catching. Never had a problem at all. I recall the s5's came with a little bag that you were supposed to pop them into when you did wash but I was never convinced it would get them thoroughly clean so I didn't bother using that after a while.
Those bags were very small for a pair of bib shorts. You almost had to ball them up as tight as you could before they would fit in the bag. I never saw how they would get cleaned well that way.

I throw my bibs along with my gloves, helmet pads (in a smaller bag - the ones Assos supplied with the S5 bibs, funnily enough) and my HR belt in a laundry bag to keep them together but it is big enough to allow them to move around. The bag goes into the laundry with everything else and I even run an extra spin cycle so that things are extra dry when they come out of the washer. Modern gear, especially Assos, is well made and can definitely withstand a standard washing machine. Nobody should worry too much about this.

muti

by muti

As said above,I wash them in the washing machine at 30 degrees and relatively low spin,turned inside out with the zippers closed inside a washing bag(bigger than that of the s5).I have some 15 years old bibs which I retired just because I got bored of them,they are still perfect(pad,stitches,colour,no fabric stretch).

kytyree

by kytyree

I wash them in the washing machine using a normal sized laundry bag. That’s to protect them from other clothes/zippers. I wash everything on cold and I don’t put any of my cycling clothes in the dryer.

robertbb

by robertbb

kytyree wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:57 am
I wash them in the washing machine using a normal sized laundry bag. That’s to protect them from other clothes/zippers. I wash everything on cold and I don’t put any of my cycling clothes in the dryer.
+1
And the lightest spin possible.. don't mind if they come out quite damp. Then carefully put them on a clothes rack to dry fully.

decade

by decade

[quote=RTW post_id=1435260 time=1539168298 user_id=2330]

Wow - you guys are merciless. :shock: :D :D The good news is that we are changing it.

New naming convention

1.3 Summer
2.3 Spring / Fall
3.3 Winter [i]and[/i] Winter Ultraz as a heavier winter category.

The ranges are:

Mille GT - Comfort Fit, pad slightly further forward for a more upright position. Consider this every day kit.
Equipe RS - Racing Fit, more compressive / aero. Pad slightly further forward for a lower position on the bike. Consider this 'fast', 'race' or 'special day' kit.
[i]Cento[/i] 113 - Comfort Fit, pad slightly further forward. More tech than Equipe and Mille. Luxury, cosetting kit for those who want or need more.

@Lionelb @TomyM @Mag - on the subject of colours - yes we want to do more BUT black sells in greater numbers than any other colour. We launched 3 new jackets this winter (which is a lot) and we cannot do the membranes in lots of different colours because the MOQ of material makes that prohibitive. Other brands manage it because they are buying off the peg materials, and / or are using tech they are borrowing from their outdoor business. That isn't to say that colours wont ever come, but is an explanation for the colours available at launch.

I pass on the feedback from this thread though, and thanks to all for your contributions. Honestly, it is great that you care enough to tell us!

Edited - I got it wrong! :oops:
[/quote]

RTW it is great that you are engaging with your users. I for too long sent emails to Assos and got mealy mouthed corporate platitudes back.

Are the new ranges Mille GT, Equipe RS and [i]Cento[/i] 113 fundamentally price point driven?

Profblack is my go to choice. Please don't stop doing it as I for one only ever wear plain colours. Happy for you to contemplate ProfRED as a future item.

What I don't understand is how some of the Assos prices got to be stratospheric. $700AU for a Bonka Profblack really tests the multi-decade love affair.

Please consider specifying your Winter 3/4 knickers with the best chamois possible as I spend all winter in them as I'm sure other do.

Assos should look at providing better care instructions. I have a RS.sturmPrinz jacket that after less than 10 wears lets the water through like a sieve.

thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com