Bora ultra 50

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That’s good, but it’s really odd that they were shot in such a short period of use. These are the freehub bearings right? Do they spin rough even after removed? Just wondering if maybe they may heave been pressed in a bit askew from the factory. Any idea of the mileage on them, but even still, no matter how much you rode during two dry summers, I don’t think it would have been enough to destroy the freehub bearings unless something was amiss from the start. Which, of course, can certainly happen.
As an aside, on my first ever set of Boras I just had to pull the hubs apart for no reason other than to see how everything works inside. I was lucky I did, because I found a loose piece of aluminum floating around next to the CULT bearings. So, stuff happens for sure, but it’s pretty rare.
Last edited by Calnago on Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markyboy

by markyboy

Yes its rough when out the freehub,but it was only the outer one.
Not high mileage thou, so i was surprised.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

markyboy wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:33 pm
Bearings in and the wheel made up,thanks guys the wheel is now buttery smooth. :D :thumbup:
Good to hear. I'm glad you got it all sorted out.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Had mine die pretty fast too. Home made wheel with Record hub. After about 3500Km I noticed the cassette had a very noticeable play/wobble. Had a spare freehub so I replaced it rather than trying to replace the bearings but I guess I could try now. Wheel didn't see winter or more than a couple showers. On the other hand, a 3000Km Bora is still tight.

KotP

by KotP

Calnago wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:04 pm
but it’s really odd that they were shot in such a short period of use. These are the freehub bearings right?
It's a regular enough issue with with Campagnolo/Fulcrum freehubs, the cartridge bearings don't last (especially compared to the cup and cone in the hubs) but everyone's mileage may vary.

The upside is the cartridge bearings are inexpensive and easy enough to replace. Although Campagnolo could make it easier considering the crapness of the factory bearings, that damn circlip/c-clip.

Besides, it's only the freehub. If they start to feel gritty when riding, just don't freewheel :D

alcatraz

by alcatraz

KotP wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:03 am
The upside is the cartridge bearings are inexpensive and easy enough to replace. Although Campagnolo could make it easier considering the crapness of the factory bearings, that damn circlip/c-clip.
I just learned a new word "crapness" :lol:

markyboy

by markyboy

Yes that c clip was a nightmare to remvove
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I initially bought a Park C clip plier but the tips were too thin and they broke. Then I bought a professional grade plier with the correct size tips (much thicker than the Park's but small enough to fit through the holes on the C clip) and it made it very easy. You just need the right tool for the job. Here’s the tool that I use.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Calnago wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:04 pm
That’s good, but it’s really odd that they were shot in such a short period of use. These are the freehub bearings right? Do they spin rough even after removed? Just wondering if maybe they may heave been pressed in a bit askew from the factory. Any idea of the mileage on them, but even still, no matter how much you rode during two dry summers, I don’t think it would have been enough to destroy the freehub bearings unless something was amiss from the start. Which, of course, can certainly happen.
As an aside, on my first ever set of Boras I just had to pull the hubs apart for no reason other than to see how everything works inside. I was lucky I did, because I found a loose piece of aluminum floating around next to the CULT bearings. So, stuff happens for sure, but it’s pretty rare.

I have three Campagnolo wheelset and on last service i remove the freehub on all of them to check and regrease...

1. Campagnolo Shamal Ultra - Freehub bearings smooth and i have 13000 km on them (since i bought Bora, this is my bad weather wheelsets)

2. Campagnolo Bora One 35 Tubs - Freehub bearings smooth after 6000 km on them....

3. Campagnolo Bora One 50 Tubs - Freehub bearings gritty and not smooth after less then 4000 km. I bought this wheelset in May so they are like 5-6 months old and got a new freehub replacament. Hope wont have problems on this freehub bearings..

KotP

by KotP

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:58 am

I just learned a new word "crapness" :lol:
It's a good one, use it wisely :D

I sometimes forget that although everyone on this board speaks English, not everyone speaks my brand of English :lol:

One more thing to add, I came across this discussion after I swapped out my freehub bearings for better ones:

https://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewto ... t=12807001

It's a decent resource on the subject for what you'll need and tips if you get stuck if anyone needs to reference it one day.