Which new frameset I choose Trek Émonda SLR/ Orca/ Addict/ Sworks Tarmac/Tarmac Pro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mendiz

by mendiz

I have liked the frameset Trek Émonda SLR, but horror stories about BB90, 9I think Dura ace 9100 mechanical complete except cassette Ultegra 11-32 and thinking about chainrings 46-34.
The rest, I think
Stem= Specialized Sworks SL , I don't know 9 or 10 cms yet
Handlebar= Ax -Lightness 4200 42 cms width
I have Ax-Lightness Endurance, my favourite saddle, never I will use another saddle
Bottle cages= CarbonWorks 8 grs
Bar tape= Lizard Skins DSP 1.8 mm, I want the grippiest and thinnest possible, I ask another options, not decided completely
Wheelset= Lightweight Meilenstein T 24 E
Tubulars not decided, FMB Service Course 25 silk
Pedals= Time Xpro 15
Saddlebag, not decided, options Lezyne Microroad, I think I will put inside a phone , I don't like anything in jersey .
Last edited by mendiz on Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

How about an adventure crank like 46-30.. and an 11-28t cassette.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stitchking

by Stitchking

Why such a small chainset?
If you're going to run a front light bontrager ion 100 daytime running light only weighs 26g

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mendiz

by mendiz

Hi, in the Scott I had 50x12 and 46x11 is 3 cm more. Normally I ride 50x15 at 90 cadence in flat, and 4-5 minutes sometimes with 50x14. 50x13 and 50x12 just for descending. But never I had a 46 in road bike, I will try that chainring.
Tomorrow I will ask in the Trek store price. In summer I will buy Lighweights , never I have used tubulars, I do not want discs, I will wait when they do not sell rim brakes like in mountain bike. My doubt is the colour of the frame, black or gloss sunburst, I had black complete bike, and I loved it

mendiz

by mendiz

I am doubting which frame set choose, Émonda SLR I have read horror stories about BB90, My limit price for frameset is 2600 more or less, Orca OMR I do not know quality, Sworks Tarmac is something expensive at 3200 euros., Addict I can get at 2700

Marin

by Marin

What is your goal with the bike?

Whatever it is, at that price my suggestion would be to get a custom steel frame - you'll love it *much* more than an overpriced piece of plastic that you could have bought for 20% of the price without the ugly graphics ;)

For example: http://www.legorcicli.it/

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

mendiz wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:03 pm
I have read horror stories about BB90
I've had 7 different bikes with BB90 BB's. The major problem is water ingress into the bearings (particularly if you like riding with frozen water in your bottles). You are limited to 24mm spindles (or GXP w/ a 22mm NDS), but it's a solid, stable platform. Bearings are easy to come by, low cost and easy to replace. Whatever the "horror stories" you've heard are nothing compared to BB30.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

I wouldnt recommend BB90 for a MTB but on the road, just change them when necessary. When you keep riding with an excessive amount of play on your bearings and dirt all over the place, then you get horror. I've had a Domane for 5 years and i'm currently waiting for my new Emonda to arrive.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I really don’t think the BB90 is even an issue these days. Although as was just mentioned, if you ride with play in the system, it could cause havoc. This is where I think most of the issues really start... with not enough preload on the Shimano cranks. I know Shimano says to “finger tighten” the cranks and I can’t remember the specific torque but it’s not very much. I find it impossible to really just “feel” it with your fingers. But if you lock down the crank without it being all the way in, there can easily be more play in there than you want and you end up with premature bearing wear or enlargement of the BB bore or both. I generally use a wrench to tighten the left crank (Shimano) on the spline enough that you can feel the crank starting to bind. Then, just like a wheel bearing, back off just enough so that the crank spins freely and “lock it down”.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Lewn777

by Lewn777

mendiz wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:25 pm
I have liked the frameset Trek Émonda SLR, but horror stories about BB90, 9I think Dura ace 9100 mechanical complete except cassette Ultegra 11-32 and thinking about chainrings 46-34.
The rest, I think
Stem= Specialized Sworks SL , I don't know 9 or 10 cms yet
Handlebar= Ax -Lightness 4200 44 cms width
I have Ax-Lightness Endurance, my favourite saddle, never I will use another saddle
Bottle cages= CarbonWorks 8 grs
Bar tape= Lizard Skins DSP 1.8 mm, I want the grippiest and thinnest possible, I ask another options, not decided completely
Wheelset= Lightweight Meilenstein T 24 E
Tubulars not decided, FMB or Dugast, not decided model or silk or cotton, 25 mm
Skewers, not decided, Lightweight with wheelset or buyTune U 20 or DC 14?
Pedals= Time Xpro 15
Saddlebag, not decided, options Lezyne Microroad, I think I will put inside a phone and Vittoria pit stop, I don't like anything in jersey . If I have a flat I will call girlfriend or taxi
Brake pads Swisstop Lightweight for sure, for possible warranty with LW
Rear light Bontrager
Front light, never in 30 years of cycling I have used, but I think is useful in some roads, options?
I don't use powermeter , heart rate , no computer, nothing, I was obssesed looking the screen and I prefer see the landscapes.
In January I will buy except wheelset, bottle cages, handlebar
I listen options , thanks
Honestly I've only ridden the Specialized Tarmac frameset, even then I doubt there is much difference between them. Good modern road geometry isn't a secret science. Most frames are good these days, go with weight, a reputation for robustness, looks, brand customer service repuation, company ethical stance or the amount of money they put back into the sport. I prefer the Specialized as it has a more common standard BB size (because I like to use an aftermarket BB that screws together like a Praxis Conversion BB) and a metal chain stay protector. But these are small points.

Not really sure why you'd go for an adventure comapct gearing like a 46-34, surely 46-32? Any downhill roads you can easily get spun out over 50km/h. For a bikepacking bike it makes sense, but then I'd prefer a 40 narrow-wide with 11-42 MTB gears.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I think he's a small guy that likes to climb. I am myself and cadence is on average high.

Beefy riders spin out on a 53/11 downhill because their legs can't go over 80 cadence comfortably. :lol:

Lewn777

by Lewn777

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:17 am
I think he's a small guy that likes to climb. I am myself and cadence is on average high.

Beefy riders spin out on a 53/11 downhill because their legs can't go over 80 cadence comfortably. :lol:
80 rpm, surely not! :smartass: More like 90 ot 95, but your point is correct. :thumbup:
Also it depends on local topography, if you have long smooth flat roads with 1-2% downhill gradients that are prone to tail-winds, you can easily get spun-out, doesn't matter how beefy you are.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

After reading carefully I realised he's a mature gentleman enjoying fine things in life. Holding on for bare life at speeds over 50km/h usually doesn't appeal to older gentlemen. My father doesn't like to go over 40 I think, but I wouldn't call him a cyclist.

Yep, I've been in the situation of spinning out around 55km/h on my compact. 53t would only add a fraction more speed for a few seconds at the expense of hours of painful climbing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mendiz

by mendiz

Deleted