Bora ultra 50

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markyboy

by markyboy

Bora ultra 50 rear wheel feeling gritty,i have taken bearings out and cleaned and re greased,but still the same.
Wheels are 2 years old and only had summer use,is it possible the bearings will wear so quickly?
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

It’s possible that the bearings that are worn are the sealed bearings in the freehub. These freehub bearings are non-ceramic and they are the same bearings found in non-ultra wheels. Did you check these bearing when you had the freehub removed? If not then check it and then report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Take the freehub off and feel the individual bearings. You'll find which one is causing the issue easy that way.

eurperg

by eurperg

The outer freehub bearing always fails quickly... I have replaced it with Acer Racing 6803 61803 17x26x5 Ceramic on several Campagnolo wheelsets, including my Bora Ultra 35's.

markyboy

by markyboy

Thanks guys i will check all,if it is the free hub bearing are they easy to change?
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

It depends on if you have the right tools. You will need a snap ring plier to remove a snap ring. As for knocking the bearings out I prefer to use the proper bearing puller rather than using a screwdriver. Lastly you will need a bearing press to press in the two bearings. There's a separate thread on the tools needed for the job. With the proper tools it's a five minute job. I invested in the tools because I intend to keep my Boras for a long time. You can also buy a new Campy freehub and save yourself the trouble. I don't know how much they cost but it can't be more than $100 USD.

markyboy

by markyboy

Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

markyboy

by markyboy

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:23 pm
It depends on if you have the right tools. You will need a snap ring plier to remove a snap ring. As for knocking the bearings out I prefer to use the proper bearing puller rather than using a screwdriver. Lastly you will need a bearing press to press in the two bearings. There's a separate thread on the tools needed for the job. With the proper tools it's a five minute job. I invested in the tools because I intend to keep my Boras for a long time. You can also buy a new Campy freehub and save yourself the trouble. I don't know how much they cost but it can't be more than $100 USD.
Thanks
I have pliers and i also have a bearing press,so i need 2 bearings?
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

markyboy

by markyboy

Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

For the best bearings you need these. NTN bearings are second to none. You will need two. These bearings come with dual seals but you can remove the inner seal (seal not exposed to the elements) for a further reduction in seal drag.

https://www.hambini.com/ntn-6803-llb-17 ... -seal.html

markyboy

by markyboy

Many thanks,i am taking the wheel apart soon and i will order these up :thumbup:
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

eurperg

by eurperg

Instead of bearing press you just need a smaller socket with an extension to knock the outer bearing off from the inside, and then a bigger socket to push the new bearing in.

Removing the inner freehub body bearing is not very easy, because the snap ring does not have ”ears”. So using snap ring pliers is rather difficult. I have drilled a hole through the freehub body in the location where the snap ring is, so I can easily push the ring off from its groove.

But I’m pretty sure it’s just the outer bearing that is faulty...

markyboy

by markyboy

eurperg wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:21 am
Instead of bearing press you just need a smaller socket with an extension to knock the outer bearing off from the inside, and then a bigger socket to push the new bearing in.

Removing the inner freehub body bearing is not very easy, because the snap ring does not have ”ears”. So using snap ring pliers is rather difficult. I have drilled a hole through the freehub body in the location where the snap ring is, so I can easily push the ring off from its groove.

But I’m pretty sure it’s just the outer bearing that is faulty...
You are right its just the outer bearing as i have just removed it,i am buying some pliers to remove the inner bearing so i can replace the 2 which i have ordered.
Once again thanks guys as i would never of thought of it being the free hub bearings :noidea:
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

markyboy

by markyboy

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:21 pm
For the best bearings you need these. NTN bearings are second to none. You will need two. These bearings come with dual seals but you can remove the inner seal (seal not exposed to the elements) for a further reduction in seal drag.

https://www.hambini.com/ntn-6803-llb-17 ... -seal.html
These bearings are on the way :thumbup:
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markyboy

by markyboy

Bearings in and the wheel made up,thanks guys the wheel is now buttery smooth. :D :thumbup:
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2