2019 bike roll out jam

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Broady

by Broady

New Shiv is mad looking:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Not of a big interest here (slowtwitch has much more buzz on this one), but my first impression was boy is that next level of ugliness - sideshot doesn't do justice to the front fork "interface". Apparently, though, this one might be faster than old "tri" Shiv and by removal of the rear hydration "sail", perhaps even UCI legal.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

mrlobber wrote:Not of a big interest here (slowtwitch has much more buzz on this one), but my first impression was boy is that next level of ugliness - sideshot doesn't do justice to the front fork "interface". Apparently, though, this one might be faster than old "tri" Shiv and by removal of the rear hydration "sail", perhaps even UCI legal.
Link?
Using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

Stitchking wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:00 am
madik wrote:In bikeradar's article about the S series they mentioned a new stem/headset design on the S3 bike. From the writen descriptin I have a really vague understanding of what is it all about. Is there some picture or schematics of the new "quill stem" design?
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/ ... ies-52993/
The new stem interface borrows from older designs, but in a way that’s bang up to date. Rather than using a standing headset stem clamped to the steerer, the S3 has what resembles an old-school quill stem.
The reason for this design is two-fold. First, in conjunction with the split spacers, it’s easy to height-adjust the cockpit. Second, by making this all one piece, the internal cable routing is far simpler to achieve and that’s also a big reason for the S5’s design.
By using a quill that sits as part of the fork steerer and expands into the stem section, this leaves a large channel through the uniquely shaped steerer to run cables and hoses with no interference.
This makes for smoother, more dependable mechanical cable-runs with no kinks or tight radiuses to navigate, or so Cervélo claims. It’s a serious bit of 'out-of-the-box' thinking, which achieves a damn good-looking bike with impressively clean lines.
Thats a typo. Theyre talking about the s5. S3 looks like a standard stem
It's not a typo, they're talking about the S3.

The S3 looks like a standard stem, but it is not a standard stem. Everything they wrote is 100% correct.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:43 am
Link?
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slow ... 6747088-3/

There were a ton of pics of it on a Talbot Cox gallery (including the one quoted here ), but apparently they were removed by request of the author (afraid from possible sanctions from the big S) along with several posts in the thread I link to, all in pages 3 & 4.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

wingguy

by wingguy

Monkeyfudger wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:31 am
“We NEED to make the bars/stem like this primarily so we can bury the cables* (lulz!)”

[Buries cables in new S3 just fine...]
But they didn't say they had to make the bar stem like that just to bury the cables. They did it to bury the cables, make the bar more comfortable and the aerodynamics better.

And while I do like that some of the other new aero bikes don't need a proprietary stem, some of them do, so the S5 isn't unusual in that respect. Then, if you're doing a proprietary stem anyway why do you need to stick with the orthodoxy of what stems and steerer tubes look like? Why not see if you can make something that performs better at your chosen priorities?

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

I’m just poking fun ‘cos bored and I’m not a dentist so can’t afford one of these new gen aero disc super bikes while still having multiple bikes (track/crit/road/MTB).

I’m actually really wanty!

timmerrr

by timmerrr

Just got off the phone with my local cervelo dealer. Bike fit for a new S5d scheduled for this afternoon! Happy Birthday to me!
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

Funnyclub

by Funnyclub

Disappointed the S5D Ultegra di2 only comes with 35mm dt Swiss wheels even though on site it shows the Ultegra di2 with deeper wheels!

Shrike

by Shrike

Need more Shiv pics. That's mental!

themidge

by themidge

I always thought the last generation S3 looked better than the S5...

My opinion hasn't changed for this generation.

cro2

by cro2

themidge wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:00 pm
I always thought the last generation S3 looked better than the S5...

My opinion hasn't changed for this generation.
Just when I thought that one cannot go much worse in terms of aesthetics than the new SystemSix, Cervelo drops this S5 bomb. This thing is hideous.

spud

by spud

Based on what I've seen so far, the new Venge manages the best combination of (perceived) aero, weight, (perceived)stiffness and adjustability/usability. But I bet all of them are fast.

Shrike

by Shrike

timmerrr wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:31 pm
Just got off the phone with my local cervelo dealer. Bike fit for a new S5d scheduled for this afternoon! Happy Birthday to me!
Congrats, sickest bike on the planet! Pics and impressions sometime I hope :P

Shrike

by Shrike

spud wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:34 pm
Based on what I've seen so far, the new Venge manages the best combination of (perceived) aero, weight, (perceived)stiffness and adjustability/usability. But I bet all of them are fast.
And yes to this admittedly. The Trek for sheer baller looks though.

Lucky to ride any of these, but are any of them worth an upgrade from their previous gens in terms of performance? Thinking no unless you're really loving the new look and just want a new bike. Which is totally cool of course 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com