Assos apparel questions

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
kode54

by kode54

Hey TonyM...

you really need a winter jacket where you live? i would just go by the breathability more than insulation...so the Habu would suit you best. i can't imagine using a Bonka where you ride.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

I indeed usually use the Habu jacket during the winter here in British Columbia/ Canada.
Only when the temperature is under 5 degres I use the Bonka.

As it is raining quite often here in the winter, I tend to use also very often a rain jacket (GoreTex One or Castelli Tempesta Race so far. I just bought a Equipe RS rain
in "lollyRed" for best visibility for the next winter).

A Habu/ Bonbka with more waterproof properties but the same properties in terms of breathabilioty would be excellent.
And a tight fitting like the Habu etc...I am noyt a fan of the Mille fit.
Last edited by TonyM on Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^^^ I’d agree with this. My favorite cooler weather Assos stuff is the Habu jacket, and Habu tights for cooler weather. I will add layers as appropriate underneath and a full light jacket over top (Gore xenon I think) if need be. Generally just fine for our wet, but relatively mild, Northwest winters. I had an older version of the Bonka (Airjack 851) that I never wore so gave it away.
I also agree that Assos’s nomenclature for their stuff is pretty much the most confusing thing in cycling, next to Bottom Bracket “standards”.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

biwa

by biwa

Does anyone experience the problem with the Equipe bibs (s7 not evo) where they tend to slide up not only at thighs but also at your bottom during riding? I don't mind the thigh part, but the chamois pad bulges up instead of staying flat makes it uncomfortable to sit on and it also pressures on the soft tissues. I don't have the same problem with their other bibs that uses the same s7 pads, and they're all the same size

c60rider

by c60rider

I've found the s7 bibs to be awful compared with the previous s5. I have 2 pairs of standard equipe and a pair of the thermal bib shorts and more than 2 hours I'll have a sore. I have the same problem with rapha pro bibs. I don't know if they're essentially the same foam padding as they both come from the same factory the rapha being stitched in the assos being able to move. I don't have this problem with the s5 but sadly they're starting to wear out now. I get on much better with a bog standard plain, non anatomical seat but don't know if anyone makes a bib with that kind of chamois. No idea how they've changed the new s9 other than those odd looking extended bib straps that will apparently stop my chamois from slipping down :noidea: I would really like some high quality bibs with a plain boring shaped chamois if anyone knows of any

dcorn

by dcorn

Personally, I find the Assos bibs to be the only ones on the market that have the chamois in the correct spot, plus far enough forward to actually cover up my junk. I rode Castelli for years and thought the odd fit and pain was normal for cycling. My sit bones would ache and the front of the chamois would chafe because it would have the seam right in the middle of my sensitive bits. After searching for a new seat to fix the sit bones problem, the fitter suggested just trying Assos bibs. I bought a pair of the S7 Equipes and they are absolutely perfect. My very first ride in them was the NY Gran Fondo, so 108 miles and 9k feet of climbing. No pain after, it was remarkable. Now I have a couple pairs of S5 that I got cheap, S7 Equipe, a pair of S7 Tiburu shorts and knickers, and just picked up the S7 Equipe Evo. Now I have half a dozen pairs of nice Castelli shorts and some Craft that I don't know what to do with because they suck in comparison. I'll probably pick up a pair of the S9 to try them out if they have an Equipe level price point.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

TonyM wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:30 pm
But Assos introduced the "Mille GT winter jacket" with the new Neos/ softshell fabric Assos and I thought that the Equipe line for this material will also be soon added.
https://www.assos.com/mille-gt-winter-j ... &color=113
That would be great as the fall/ winter is coming....
I would try the Mille GT Spring / Fall Jacket, and the Mille GT Winter Jacket for fit in the shop. Having something 'slightly' more relaxed in its cut is sensible for winter clothing because of the coverage and movement needed.

The Neos range is being launched this year. That is three jackets (Mille GT Spring / Fall Jacket in the temperature range of the Intermediate, Mille GT Winter Jacket in the temperature range of the Habu, and the Mille GT Winter Ultraz in the temperature range of the Bonka). The Bonka, Habu and Intermediate have all been removed from the assortment. There are no plans to launch anything for these temperatute ranges in the Equipe RS line, beyond the Equipe RS Rain Jersey (Liberty) in the range of the Mille GT Spring / Fall Jacket.
kode54 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:48 pm
I especially like the Habu5 and Bonka6 jackets. Less bulk and great protection from wind and cold...Bonka being the more robust. So the Neos fabric better than the RXQ?
Neos fabric is a membrane - it comes in a number of variants, not all launched yet.

"NEOS MEDIUM: Our in-house developed tri-layer thermo soft-shell constructed with a bonded PU membrane. Water-repellent and close fitting, this tech-savvy textile is waterproof to >10 m, wind-resistant and highly breathable. Deployed here on the frontal panel as a guarantee of heat retention and climate control. A highlight is the ultimate protection it grants against wind and rain. Waterproof >10 MT. High breathability MVP 14.600 gr/m²/24h JIS L 1099 B-1:2006.

NEOS LIGHT: Our in-house developed tri-layer lightweight soft-shell constructed with a bonded PU membrane. Water-repellent and close fitting, this tech-savvy textile is waterproof to >10 m and highly breathable. Used on the upper sleeves and upper back (carré) as a windbreaker and waterproof shell. Waterproof >10 MT. High breathability MVP 27.000 gr/m²/24h JIS L 1099 B-1:2006."

RXQ is a fleece backed material used for insulation.

Is the new jacket an upgrade from a Bonka and Habu? Well we think so, but as Tony correctly identifies, they belong to a different family of products (Mille line, rather than the Equipe line). While very good, the Bonka and the Habu were beginning to become quite old in terms of tech.
Calnago wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:13 pm
I also agree that Assos’s nomenclature for their stuff is pretty much the most confusing thing in cycling, next to Bottom Bracket “standards”.
We are working on it and it is becoming a lot clearer. Part of it is our own doing, and part of it is that people want tech and want performance in a similar way to they do for the rest of their cycling purchases, but for a jacket or shorts for some reason aren't prepared to invest time to navigate the differences like they do with other purchases - say like wheels or a saddle, or a groupset - where navigation can also be difficult. This forum is very technical though, and that's why I am writing this!
biwa wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:32 pm
Does anyone experience the problem with the Equipe bibs (s7 not evo) where they tend to slide up not only at thighs but also at your bottom during riding? I don't mind the thigh part, but the chamois pad bulges up instead of staying flat makes it uncomfortable to sit on and it also pressures on the soft tissues. I don't have the same problem with their other bibs that uses the same s7 pads, and they're all the same size
Hi Biwa - this sounds like the shorts are too large. They shouldn't slide up. When you say you have other bibs with the same pad, which models are these? For example, if you have the Campionissimo short in a M and an Equipe in a M, the Campionissimo will be tighter because the fabric is more compressive.

kgt

by kgt

@ RTW
Good to have you here! Assos quality is still a the very top and I hope it remains that way.

I have a question too: I bought a Mille s7 bib short a few weeks ago. I followed the online sizing guide and got an L (1,82m, 79kg) but the fit was not good, it was too big so I had to sell it. An M would obviously be better, especially regarding the feel and placement of the pad. I have also seen a recent road.cc review of the Mille bib shorts and a guy as tall as me went for the S size and the fit, according to him, was great!
Is there a way to make your sizing guide more exact than it is? I never had this issue with other manufacturers. Their sizing guides are usually spot on.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

@ kgt - I can pass this on. I think the road.cc guy is a little lighter than you - I know him and he is pretty skinny!

I am 1.86m and 77kg. I wear size L in Equipes and Campionissimo. On the more relaxed cut Cento and Mille I need the M.

On the Equipe RS S9 (the new short) I wear a medium. Why? because the bib itself is more elastic.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

c60rider wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:28 am
I've found the s7 bibs to be awful compared with the previous s5. I have 2 pairs of standard equipe and a pair of the thermal bib shorts and more than 2 hours I'll have a sore. I have the same problem with rapha pro bibs. I don't know if they're essentially the same foam padding as they both come from the same factory the rapha being stitched in the assos being able to move. I don't have this problem with the s5 but sadly they're starting to wear out now. I get on much better with a bog standard plain, non anatomical seat but don't know if anyone makes a bib with that kind of chamois. No idea how they've changed the new s9 other than those odd looking extended bib straps that will apparently stop my chamois from slipping down :noidea: I would really like some high quality bibs with a plain boring shaped chamois if anyone knows of any
Sorry to hear this. I would suggest sizing down and giving that a go. If you are UK based, let me know.

GaBa

by GaBa

Very sad there are no plans on keeping Habu or Bonka in the range since these are my favourite pieces (both jacket and tights). I don’t like Mille line, it is too loose for my taste. Looks like I’ll have to get some pieces while there’s still stock.

How about Tiburu, also Mille only or will there be something in Equipe range as well?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

RTW wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:42 am
@ kgt - I can pass this on. I think the road.cc guy is a little lighter than you - I know him and he is pretty skinny!

I am 1.86m and 77kg. I wear size L in Equipes and Campionissimo. On the more relaxed cut Cento and Mille I need the M.

On the Equipe RS S9 (the new short) I wear a medium. Why? because the bib itself is more elastic.
I've gone for a large in the new T'Equipe Evo... Being a muscular 183cm and 85kg, I'm now a little worried. :lol:
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

The Bonka tight and the Habu tight continue. It was the jackets we were discussing. Please go and see and try on the new jackets before writing them off!

The Tiburu short (Equipe Line) continues. As does the Tiburu Equipe Gilet.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

RTW wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:19 am
The Bonka tight and the Habu tight continue. It was the jackets we were discussing. Please go and see and try on the new jackets before writing them off!

The Tiburu short (Equipe Line) continues. As does the Tiburu Equipe Gilet.
RTW,

How is the sizing in the Equipe RS Rain Jacket? I am a solid M in the Blitzfeder jacket and gilet. Should I go with the same?

And if you can help sort out my great bugbear with Assos I will be eternally grateful. I am a long time Assos user and have always been a L in the bibs. The jerseys and tops, though, have been a wildly different story. The old SS.Uno S7 jersey in size M feels like it was tailored specifically for my torso. I don't think another jersey could fit me any better. As nailed on as that one is, though, other Assos jerseys are all over the place. I have tried on XL jerseys that I couldn't even get on properly - they were so snug - being unable to even fit my arms in the sleeves. This is the SS.13 jersey I am specifically thinking of. I understand the rationale of having different lines with slightly different fits but I think one should be able to achieve that same spread of fit in the same size. A medium Equipe jersey should fit nice and snugly compared to a Mille that should deliver a more relaxed fit, but in that same size medium.

I should be able to rely on sizing to be consistent across the ranges. All this does for me is make me very hesitant to buy any Assos jerseys unless I can actually try them on. Living in Bermuda, I only get that opportunity when I travel and it's often very hard to find a shop with a wide range of your product to try on. It means that, despite being a die hard Assos bib user buying a few pairs each year, I haven't bought an Assos jersey in about five years. If that can be fixed, you'd certainly get me back as a regular buyer of jerseys. I am sure I can't be the only one that gets frustrated by this.

Cheers,
Geoff

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Hey Geoff,

I completely get it. My experience of the brand of late is that sizing is very consistant. All of the current jerseys in my drawer are the same size. Medium. There is a Cento, a Grand Prix, an Equipe, a Mille GT, a ForToni and a Fastlane jersey. All of these are the same size, but the fit is different. The Equipe being the tightest. Part of this is about expectations and how something is supposed to fit. If people want a Mille GT jersey to fit like an Equipe jersey, then you take one size smaller in the Mille GT. Torso length will begin to come up a bit short, but between two adjacent sizes this isn't going to be huge. IF the expectation of the fit is wrong, then we are in the firing line.

We get this a lot! For example, someone buys a Cento jersey and loves the fit, but has a Cento and doesn't want the same in the different colour. They then buy the Equipe in the same size, and find it tight and close fitting and complain the sizes are inconsistant.

In car terms it is like someone buying a Silver S500 Merc and loving the wafting comfortable experience. Then wanting a Red Mercedes and buying a Mercedes GT AMG and expecting the same comfort and experience, then complaining that they are uncomfortable and unable to get their golf clubs in the back of the GT AMG!

On the Equipe RS Rainjacket - sizing is similar to the Blitzfeder. The beauty of this jacket is that the material has stretch, so you can go tighter and minimise flapping in the wind.

On the Equipe RS Rainjacket - the zipper out of the box is really stiff. Put the jacket on, do it up and undo it 4 - 5 times and then it becomes no problem!