What aero helmet should I buy?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

So, I'm going to get a new aero road helmet and I'm looking for some input. It will be used for racing this summer here in New Zealand, temperatures are likely to be 20-35°C so hot but not mega hot. If its more than that I'll probably not bother TBH, I'm originally from Scotland so don't deal with the heat well. On that note I am slightly worried about over heating.
At the moment these are the main contendors.
Giro Vanquish - I think this one is probably quite quick but maybe a bit hot, and also a bit heavy?
POC Ventral - Maybe not so fast but better venting?
Bontrager Balista - Cheaper, but Bonty helmets haven't generally fitted me so I'd really want to try on before buying this one.
Met Manta - Maybe a bit hotter as well?

I can get good pricing from a local shop and could get these but not Specialized otherwise I would consider an Evade.

Anyone got any input? Recommendations? Comments?

Thanks

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I use the Vanquish up to 30C. Beyond that, I would just use a ventilated helmet unless it was a pan flat, fast paced crit/circuit race. The Vanquish is quite a wide helmet, so it's probably not as fast as an Evade II. Both Giro and Bell fit oval shaped heads.

The Ballista and other Bontrager helmets bite into my forehead. I guess that means they fit slightly rounder? You could always go semi-aero like the Kask Protone...
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zefs

by zefs

Ballista is quite comfortable, despite it's weight you don't feel any pressure points or anything and I would say it's the most comfortable compared to Kask and Giro helmets. Kask is also up there, I had issues with Giro Synthe's plastic and padding which was quite rough compared to the other's (I am commenting on what I've tried, maybe their top helmets are different).
Why not try Bontrager Velocis which claims a bit more aero than Ballista with better ventilation?

Jugi

by Jugi

GlacialPace wrote: Met Manta - Maybe a bit hotter as well?

I can get good pricing from a local shop and could get these but not Specialized otherwise I would consider an Evade.
My previous helmet was the Evade 1gen and for this season I purchased the MET Manta. Manta's looks do not deceive as it is hotter compared to the Evade. The aerodynamic efficiency is very hard to compare by feel, but I would argue the Manta has one of the narrowest frontal profiles in Medium sizes. Evade is quite close in that, but Bontrager Ballista and POC helmets in general seem to be wider. That must account for something.

I bought the Manta without trying it first and I was pleasantly surprised about how well it fit my head. Much better than the Evade. And I think the fit is the most important feature of a helmet. A watt or two lost in aerodynamics isn't much of a price for a proper fit.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

While I can’t detect an increase in speed with my Ballista, one thing that I noticed immediately was a hushed ride compared to my previous ultra-light helmet with a lot of holes. Less noise means less air turbulence so I must assume I’m going faster with an aero helmet. Please be aware that the Ballista comes down quite low in front of the ears. And this may interfere with your sunglasses. Mine comes very close but not close enough to touch. The other thing is that aero helmets all lack an insect net. I have issues when riding in the evenings and big bugs find their way into the helmet and get trapped inside. A small price to pay for the extra speed I guess. I really do miss the insect net on my previous helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

Good info on the Manta. I think it looks good but the heat makes me think its off the list.

I agree the POC looks bigish and that must have an effect on aero, some tests seem to back this up too. I think the Giro is winning at the moment, though it does feel a bit silly buying a helmet with a visor that I'm not going to use.

Bontrager helmets have never fitted me that well and I don't like the fact that the strap is one continuous loop rather than four straps anchored into the helmet, I've never had a great fit with any helmet using this system

I've never had an insect net on any of my helmets and haven't had a huge problem with it.

nojmar

by nojmar

New Kask Utopia will be released soon and it could be a good option too.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

GlacialPace wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:18 am

Bontrager helmets have never fitted me that well and I don't like the fact that the strap is one continuous loop rather than four straps anchored into the helmet, I've never had a great fit with any helmet using this system

I've never had an insect net on any of my helmets and haven't had a huge problem with it.

The way the Y-harness is designed, it's also incredibly hard to get the straps to lie flat against your cheek/jawline too. I have no such problem with most other helmets, especially Kask and Giro.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

NZ distributor does not bring the bullet in so I doubt they will bring the 2.0. I'll see if I can find out more about it.

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

nojmar wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:44 am
New Kask Utopia will be released soon and it could be a good option too.
I have a Protone helmet which fit very good.
I'm waiting for Utopia. :D

seaneT1

by seaneT1

I was also looking for a cool aero helmet, was waiting for Kask utopia, got tired of waiting, sent messages to kask that never got replied about when would it be available, got angry and bought an S-Works Evade 2, even though it was expensive and I do not really like specialized as a company tbh...One of the best purchases I have recently done! Can not recommend it enough, it's light, it's aero and it's cool even in the hot and humid summer in Greece, but it is pricey. Totally worth it though!!!

nojmar

by nojmar

This was what Kask replied to me:
I am also waiting to buy a helmet. I don’t like Evade’s price but I think that the Utopia’s cost will be similar.
Does anyone know if Protone gives good results in terms of aerodynamic?

zefs

by zefs

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:44 am
While I can’t detect an increase in speed with my Ballista, one thing that I noticed immediately was a hushed ride compared to my previous ultra-light helmet with a lot of holes. Less noise means less air turbulence so I must assume I’m going faster with an aero helmet. Please be aware that the Ballista comes down quite low in front of the ears. And this may interfere with your sunglasses. Mine comes very close but not close enough to touch. The other thing is that aero helmets all lack an insect net. I have issues when riding in the evenings and big bugs find their way into the helmet and get trapped inside. A small price to pay for the extra speed I guess. I really do miss the insect net on my previous helmet.

Aero helmets are noisier than helmets with more ventilation holes, atleast that's my experience.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

zefs wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:44 am

Aero helmets are noisier than helmets with more ventilation holes, atleast that's my experience.
I feel the opposite is true.. atleast my evades conpared to prevail and giro synthe
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package