Cannondale TOPSTONE 2019 is released

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jwalther

by jwalther

Stopped by my LBS yesterday and was told they expect delivery sometime in November. Now I know what I want for Christmas!
2023 Capitol Bicycles Custom Ti
2019 Felt Breed 30
2013 Co-Motion Supremo when the wife wants to ride

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:52 am
DJT21 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:32 pm

Yeh, but look at it; absolutely gopping. It's no surprise that Cannondale make a mean looking alloy frame, they've been doing it for long enough.
mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:14 am

Fuji Jari is gopping and Cannondale Topstone is mean looking? :laughat:
What exactly are you looking at?
DJT21 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:46 pm

Well, for starters, it is brown! :D
Brown color is your punch line? :roll:
And blue color Topstone is mean looking?
Hey Cannondale, shut up and take my money!
To my eye, the headtube cluster on the Cannondale is much tougher looking. The thinner tubes on the Fuji aren't as agressive in appearance, and it makes the headtube look longer. Shallow, maybe, but it does look a bit more businesslike.

Marin

by Marin

MisterMuncher wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:32 pm
To my eye, the headtube cluster on the Cannondale is much tougher looking. The thinner tubes on the Fuji aren't as agressive in appearance, and it makes the headtube look longer. Shallow, maybe, but it does look a bit more businesslike.
To my eyes, the Fuji is 2 sizes larger and thus has a longer head tube.

DJT21

by DJT21

MisterMuncher wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:
DJT21 wrote:

Yeh, but look at it; absolutely gopping. It's no surprise that Cannondale make a mean looking alloy frame, they've been doing it for long enough.
mpulsiv wrote:

DJT21 wrote:

I don't think the length of the Fuji headtube is helped by the fact they painted the forks a different colour to the frame.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

DJT21 wrote:

mpulsiv wrote:

DJT21 wrote:

mpulsiv wrote:
MisterMuncher wrote:
Marin wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:55 pm
DJT21 wrote:
I don't think the length of the Fuji headtube is helped by the fact they painted the forks a different colour to the frame.
I'm not sure whether you have been following the trend, but painting fork different color is norm. Again, I'm not here to sell you Fuji Jari frame. I just mentioned Topstone's competitor.

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

DJT21

by DJT21

mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:19 pm

I'm not sure whether you have been following the trend, but painting fork different color is norm. Again, I'm not here to sell you Fuji Jari frame. I just mentioned Topstone's competitor.

All those bikes have short head tubes though? And although they're certainly not beautiful, or even as good looking as the Cannondale, they still look fairly balanced/in proportion aesthetically.

This thread is supposed to be about a Cannondale. Did you design the Fuji or are you invested in it in some way?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

DJT21 wrote:

mpulsiv wrote:

DJT21 wrote:

mpulsiv wrote:
MisterMuncher wrote:
Marin wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:55 pm
DJT21 wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:19 pm
DJT21 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:00 pm
All those bikes have short head tubes though? And although they're certainly not beautiful, or even as good looking as the Cannondale, they still look fairly balanced/in proportion aesthetically.

This thread is supposed to be about a Cannondale. Did you design the Fuji or are you invested in it in some way?
Did you read my previous reply?
"Again, I'm not here to sell you Fuji Jari frame. I just mentioned Topstone's competitor."

We have no idea what size frame was used for marketing purposes. One manufacturer could use 52cm and other 58cm for the picture. That's a huge difference in headtube in length. Also, you need to take into an account that most riders use spacers with shorter headtubes.

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but if are seeking a beautiful/good looking bike for a gravel scene, you are in the wrong place. Topstone is far from a head turner.
Perhaps you should be looking at Colnago C64.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

supertemp

by supertemp

That C64 is beautiful.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

REGICYCLE

by REGICYCLE

supertemp wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:56 am
That C64 is beautiful.
Beautiful yes... Gravelicious though?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

REGICYCLE wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:34 am
supertemp wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:56 am
That C64 is beautiful.
Beautiful yes... Gravelicious though?
No, C64 is not gravelicious :)
Someone keeps talking about paint jobs and good looking/mean looking bikes, so I thought C64 is a prime example.
I didn't think Topstone could make the cut. Adventure/Gravel bikes are not 'garage queens' or head turners at coffee shops. These bikes are purposeful machines for dirt, dust and accessories (e.g. frame bags). At the end of the day, some people prioritize looks over function. :noidea:

triteacher

by triteacher

Have been all over the web to find out about the Topstone 105‘s weight.
I was hoping for sth. around the 9.5kg mark, a bit naïve maybe
According to bike24 (in fact the ONLY source I could find) it comes in at 10.35kg, them not being specific about frame size... What do you think?

DJT21

by DJT21

mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:47 pm

Did you read my previous reply?
"Again, I'm not here to sell you Fuji Jari frame. I just mentioned Topstone's competitor."

We have no idea what size frame was used for marketing purposes. One manufacturer could use 52cm and other 58cm for the picture. That's a huge difference in headtube in length. Also, you need to take into an account that most riders use spacers with shorter headtubes.

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but if are seeking a beautiful/good looking bike for a gravel scene, you are in the wrong place. Topstone is far from a head turner.
Perhaps you should be looking at Colnago C64.
Christ on a bike. Nowhere did I say the Cannondale was beautiful, or a head turner. I said it was a mean looking alloy frame (for a gravel bike), which compared to the competition (the Fuji), it is. Talk about on the spectrum.....

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

triteacher wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:55 pm
Have been all over the web to find out about the Topstone 105‘s weight.
I was hoping for sth. around the 9.5kg mark, a bit naïve maybeImage
According to bike24 (in fact the ONLY source I could find) it comes in at 10.35kg, them not being specific about frame size... What do you think?
I'm eyeballing the same 105 model. With straight 14g spokes, Formula hubs, etc.. you can't expect anything too eye opening in terms of weight. To get a true idea of the potential, check a page or 2 back when Damon provided the frame and fork weights. I think they're pretty damn respectable for the price and intended purpose. I checked with my buddy Aaron at http://www.storrscentercycle.com/ and he said the first 3 production runs are already sold out. I think I am going to go ahead and stick in an order so that I am set for Winter/early Spring which is when I'd probably be making the most use of this thing.

triteacher

by triteacher

I actually used Damon's weights for my initial calculations. But as always - spreadsheet calculations can only provide a very rough estimate. You are right about the components on the 105 being more on the heavy side, which has me thinking about various upgrading options already... And isn't that what we like most?!? :-)

Wolfshohl

by Wolfshohl

I have had my "105" topstone (size: L) for almost a week.

Weight:
Stock weight was 10.4kg (that is with tubes, without pedals or cages).
With A600 pedals, Garmin mount, 2 cages 10.7

Note that mine arrived with ultegra STI and brakes. According to my LBS, C'dale did not receive enough 7000 parts and just upgraded - which supposedly happened previously with new models.

Ride:
Planted, balanced, stable.
Springy enough for gravel.
Very similar to a Synapse with better tracking.

Upgrades:
Wheels and crankset are the obvious choices.
Awaiting carbon wheelset that will save >800 gr.
Saddle and post will be upgraded that will reduce weight by 300 gr.
9 kg should be easy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com