Lightest rim tape for carbon clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robertg

by robertg

I can't use veloplugs as they don't fit properly. I tried the blue Scotch 8898 tape but it doesn't seem to stick too well to the carbon. It's the 18mm width so maybe wider would be better? Any other recommendations for a light rim tape that would stick to the carbon. I am not running tubeless fyi. Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertg

by robertg

I will give the Tesa a try. Thanks.

Orlok

by Orlok

Schwalbe tubeless rim tape (need only one layer for road).!
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

Svetty

by Svetty

Orlok wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:51 pm
Schwalbe tubeless rim tape (need only one layer for road).!
^this

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Marin wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:36 pm
tesa 4289
The Tesa's gonna be some 5g heavier than veloplugs, though. I run one layer on my wide wheels and it's ~2x6g, while the plugs are 6.5g for 48 pieces. If the surface's contaminated, the tape won't stick well, but nothing some alcohol won't solve.

robertg

by robertg

Thanks guys for all the info.

robertg

by robertg

Just wondering, have any of you guys tried the Gorilla tape in 1" width? I was at home depot and saw it it there.

Orlok

by Orlok

robertg wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:44 pm
Just wondering, have any of you guys tried the Gorilla tape in 1" width? I was at home depot and saw it it there.
There a lot of them used Gorilla tape, but it will not be the lightest rim tape.! :roll:
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

LouisN

by LouisN

QUESTION For normal clincher/inner tube application and using a tape with glue on it:
Won't the glue come out on the sides of the tape from pressure ? Thus, preventing the tube, like a latex tube, to move feely inside the clincher, becoming messy and all...?
Thanks for the heads up.

Louis :)

ms6073

by ms6073

robertg wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:44 pm
Just wondering, have any of you guys tried the Gorilla tape in 1" width?
Not sure if this is still the case, but the Enve m-series wheels I purchased several years back were supplied with Gorilla tape. The Gorilla tape was inexpensive but no where near as light as the other options. Also, the tape had a tendency to roll back, leaving glue residue which effectively glued the tire beads to the rim bead hooks. As a result, when my tubeless sealant failed to stop a leak, it made for a very tedious and time consuming process to remove the tire in order to install a tube as the glue residue from the tape is nearly as strong as Gorilla glue. I have been using DT Swiss tubeless tape, but based on the images I have seen of the Schwalbe tape, would suggest that the two tapes are from the same manufacturer.
Last edited by ms6073 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

alcatraz

by alcatraz

How about cutting away some of the sides of the schwalbe tabe between the spoke holes. Leave a 5mm strip of it running along the middle. Ww solution?

I haven't run tubeless but it does sound doable.

kavitator

by kavitator

one of the first wheelsets - where i cover holes with carbon/kevlar

problem is later if you must remove it :)

http://kavitec.blogspot.com/2012/08/kav ... c-200.html

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Powder coating masking tape is superior to Tesa 4289 imo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

alcatraz wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:41 am
How about cutting away some of the sides of the Schwalbe tabe between the spoke holes.
What is tabe? :mrgreen:
I suspect that this might be problematic as the adhesive on the back of these tapes is somewhat dependent on the surface area it covers, so as even with lower tubeless pressures, smaller patches probably would not seal as well as a the traditional approach of one or more continuous layers. Before I went tubeless, I tried a narrow strip of Orange Seal tape on Zipp 303 FC clinchers with latex tubes, and found the tape was able to migrate slightly over time, exposing the carbon edges for a couple spoke holes just enough to cause a a puncture. Trying that while running tubeless and a spoke hole got exposed, I suspect you would end up with sealant oozing out of the spoke holes while the tire goes flat. :beerchug:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"