Zipp 302 or Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mustafah009

by mustafah009

Hi,

I'm on a market for a budget carbon clincher with mid-depth profile. I can get the Zipp 302 or the Fulcrum Quattro Carbon for more or less the same amount of € (Fulcrum are a bit less) but can't decide between the two.
I prefer the looks of the Zipps but don't like the weight, I'm 58Kg so I can't lose any more body weight and wouldn't like to add any more weight to the bike.

Any opinions from people that have tried one or both? Or do you have any other option that I should be considering?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

I've been looking at both and also have the same question. The only opinion I have formed so far is that the zipps are faster and the quattros have better braking.
Chasse patate

rawjunk

by rawjunk

I bought Zipp 302's because they seemed best for the money. Zipp knows thing or two about aerodynamics, better resale value than Hunt etc., decent looks and to me 45mm was minimum depth. I think they improved ride quality, because I like riding my bike more now. This might be due to slight speed bumb and that carbon wheel sound and look :)

Braking seem fine to me but they are heavier than my old 250e aluminium wheels :(

After looking Hambini's recent wheel test, I'm happy that I didn't buy Hunts, but now I would consider buying deeper tubeless ready wheels(with dt240 hubs and Sapim CX Rays) from Farsports etc. At least if I could get them from EU warehouse.

mustafah009

by mustafah009

rawjunk wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:04 pm
I bought Zipp 302's because they seemed best for the money. Zipp knows thing or two about aerodynamics, better resale value than Hunt etc., decent looks and to me 45mm was minimum depth. I think they improved ride quality, because I like riding my bike more now. This might be due to slight speed bumb and that carbon wheel sound and look :)

Braking seem fine to me but they are heavier than my old 250e aluminium wheels :(

After looking Hambini's recent wheel test, I'm happy that I didn't buy Hunts, but now I would consider buying deeper tubeless ready wheels(with dt240 hubs and Sapim CX Rays) from Farsports etc. At least if I could get them from EU warehouse.
What wheels did you had before? Do you feel the weight going up? I'm concerned about weight as I live in a very hilly area, no big climbs but a 100km ride always gets me at least 1400m of elevation.
I'm very inclined for the Zipps as I'm not comfortable with having a Farsports build (if I could get a European builder to build me the wheels with Farsport rims I would be ok but I don't know any).

rawjunk

by rawjunk

mustafah009 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:57 pm
What wheels did you had before? Do you feel the weight going up? I'm concerned about weight as I live in a very hilly area, no big climbs but a 100km ride always gets me at least 1400m of elevation.
I'm very inclined for the Zipps as I'm not comfortable with having a Farsports build (if I could get a European builder to build me the wheels with Farsport rims I would be ok but I don't know any).
I have experience only in low-end alloy wheels. Those were from Superstarcomponents, possibly Kinlin XR31 rims, cx-ray spokes and in-house hubs(these were improvement from Mavic Aksiums). No I didn't really notice ~200g difference, altough my bike is probably 9kg now and I weight 82 kilos.

If you live in Europe, I bought my Zipp's from futurumshop.nl. They had lowest price atm and only ones with black decals. Ordering outside Netherlands is bit of a hassle but their customer service was top notch and delivery was faster than usual. Take notice you have to buy brake pads seperately. I use these: https://www.zipp.com/accessories/detail.php?ID=16720

mustafah009

by mustafah009

Does anyone have experience with r2bikes wheelbuilding services? I've saw in their website a wheel build setup with 35mm depth carbon rims (they are sourced from light bicycle) and carbon-ti hubs under my budget, weight would be spot on what I wanted to achieve, is this a good option? These wheels would not be used for rainy days I have my C17 Zondas for that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com