2019 bike roll out jam

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

99tollap

by 99tollap

Karvalo wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:11 pm
TiCass wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:36 pm
The DT Swiss wheels lineup is a confusing mess.
So much of their market is OEM, and part of how they service that is being willing and able to provide a massive number of bespoke variants to serve the cost and spec that the purchasers want. But yeah, doesn't make it easier to grow their aftermarket side.

I remember reading a year or two ago an interview on Pinkbike with their MTB product manager saying the 26/27/29, standard/boost, narrow/wide trail/plus etc was leading to an unsustainable number of SKUs that they were actively trying to reduce - but it seems like their road side is more bloated than ever.
Yep, the PR 1475's are OEM specifically for the 2019 BMC range.

What is even more confusing is that they come on both the Timemachine SLR01 3 (race bike) and the Roadmachine SLR01 3 (endurance bike). All other Roadmachine's use the ER series of wheels, so why they decided it's fine for PR series on this particular model I do not understand.

willmac

by willmac

TiCass wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:51 pm

If you look at that chart, its even more confusing.
Whats the difference between the ARC 1400 Dicut in 62mm and the PRC 1400 Dicut in 65mm? 3mm... thats it?

By that chart, the ARC should be for Time Trial and the PRC for racing... ok, but why?

And that guy is using the Time Trial wheel on a road bike... so I guess its fine?

https://www.blog.dtswiss.com/the-evolut ... eels-2019/

Even their own marketing team doesn't get it. Go figure...
Funny looking guy......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreas

by andreas

I guess their original thought was robust and wide Endurace ERC, Aero ARC and lightweight/balanced Performance PRC. However I agree the current lineup is confusing, based on rim width I would rather have the ERC (19mm/27mm) than the PRC (18mm/25mm).

Generally, in terms of width it's ERC>ARC>PRC. However the top (1100) models of ARC are slimmer internally (17mm) but wider externally (28mm) than ERC. Weight limit is ERC&PRC >ARC. For max profile depth on the top model it's ARC 80mm > ERC 47mm > PRC 35mm.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

willmac wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:13 am

Funny looking guy......
Kek.

Funny looking time trial wheels too? Almost as if the photo isn’t relevant.

ernestkus

by ernestkus

Thinner = Lighter = Expensive = Racing
Wider = Heavier = Cheaper = Endurance

That's probably DT Swiss philosophy :)

lucksun

by lucksun

Looking forward to it.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Hi all,

just in case someone is about to order Caynon Aeroad CF SLX in sale now(like me) I have some news from Canyon about Aeroad 2019 update.

Quote:

,,Hi

For the race and aero bikes no big changes are expected for 2019. The Aeroad frames will stay the same, but the colors and groupsets can change a little bit.

If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know.

Kind regards,

Service Team Canyon´´

So if they gave me true info, Aeroad will stay all the same frame for at least next season.
BTW, I´ll order 8.0 Di2 for good price now :-)

robeambro

by robeambro

Roadrocket wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:53 am
Hi all,

just in case someone is about to order Caynon Aeroad CF SLX in sale now(like me) I have some news from Canyon about Aeroad 2019 update.

Quote:

,,Hi

For the race and aero bikes no big changes are expected for 2019. The Aeroad frames will stay the same, but the colors and groupsets can change a little bit.

Kind regards,

Service Team Canyon´´

So if they gave me true info, Aeroad will stay all the same frame for at least next season.
They would not straight-out lie. If anything, they'd say "we can't disclose info".
I really hope they change the wheels on the Aeroad to something less over-the-top, then they can do whatever they please with colours and groupsets.

99tollap

by 99tollap

robeambro wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:35 am
Roadrocket wrote:
Hi all,

Quote:

,,Hi

Kind regards,

Service Team Canyon´´

They would not straight-out lie. If anything, they'd say "we can't disclose info".
I really hope they change the wheels on the Aeroad to something less over-the-top, then they can do whatever they please with colours and groupsets.
I just hope they offer something from their CF SLX range with a compact chainset, rather than 52/36. Even their Endurace bikes don't have proper climbing gears. Kind of ridiculous.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

robeambro wrote:
Roadrocket wrote:
Hi all,

Quote:

,,Hi

Kind regards,

Service Team Canyon´´

I will change Reynolds Strike SLGs for some tubulars too...and maybe groupset for DA 9150.
I just ordered 8.0 SLX Di2 in Cherry Pepper :-)

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

99tollap wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:02 am
robeambro wrote:
Roadrocket wrote:
Hi all,

Quote:

,,Hi

Kind regards,

Service Team Canyon´´

I just hope they offer something from their CF SLX range with a compact chainset, rather than 52/36. Even their Endurace bikes don't have proper climbing gears. Kind of ridiculous.

Semi-compact chainset on Aeroad is spot on. On Ultimate, or Endurace I would agree with 50/34 and 11-30T too, no discuss.

anykarthik

by anykarthik

I like what some other manufacturers are doing with 52/36 paired with 11-30 (Specialized for example). It has an easier climbing gear (36-30) than the older ubiquitous 50/34 paired with 11-28 setup (lower gear is 34-28... harder than 36-30).

Of course the gear jumps are closer with the compact chainset, but I suspect the newer setup is just fine in that regard.

robeambro

by robeambro

Roadrocket wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:54 pm
robeambro wrote:
Roadrocket wrote:
Hi all,

Quote:

,,Hi

Kind regards,

Service Team Canyon´´

I will change Reynolds Strike SLGs for some tubulars too...and maybe groupset for DA 9150.
I just ordered 8.0 SLX Di2 in Cherry Pepper :-)
Yeah I'll do the same if they don't change the wheels (unlikely, but a man can dream).
It's just annoying having to sell those wheels for much less than their value and/or having to fork out some more money to buy other wheels and keep these gathering dust.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Exactly. Maybe they just don´t want to worry about glueing of tubular tires, but on pure race bike like Aeroad I´d like to see rather something like EC90 55, or Bora One 50 tubulars...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

Roadrocket wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:04 am
Exactly. Maybe they just don´t want to worry about glueing of tubular tires, but on pure race bike like Aeroad I´d like to see rather something like EC90 55, or Bora One 50 tubulars...
Thing is, not even pros go for 60+ mm wheels..
And most aero studies on wheels I've seen seem to point out that 35 to 50mm is the sweet spot when it comes to aerodynamic performance.
The current wheels on the Aeroad models are just too much, I've read so many people complaining about them in crosswinds I can't count. One would hope their product managers have read those comments and taken them onboard. :mrgreen: