The CAAD Build Thread...

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

robertbb

by robertbb

Geez the CAAD forks are always anchors. Anyone tried another fork with them?

rlpaul

by rlpaul

robertbb wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:39 pm
Geez the CAAD forks are always anchors. Anyone tried another fork with them?
My CAAD10 only had it's fork for about a week. Bought a NOS Edge fork from Enve dirt cheap and it's been on the CAAD ever since.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

Good move. Don't understand why even the highest end alloy frames come stock with downspecced forks. I suspect it's because with a high end fork the gap between these and carbon frames is even closer.

rlpaul

by rlpaul

Cost is probably another. I bought the cheapest CAAD10 when they came out since no frameset was announced, so I replaced everything anyways. But the DA CAAD10 was less than 3500 as I recall. Putting the EVO fork on the CAAD10 probably would have raised the price noticeably.

I haven't ridden the CAAD12, or the current EVO, but my CAAD10 with the Edge fork rides almost exactly like the same generation EVO, so I'm sure that's also part of it. EVO has slightly less vibration, and of course is like 400 grams lighter, but on the terrain we have here, it's just about indistinguishable.

My CAAD10 is much prettier than an EVO though! Here's how I built it when I bought it, minus cables and tape...

alpinestar

by alpinestar

Allright build on my winter hack has begun. First set of problems, the praxis BB. So frustrating they need a special too to install. The shimane wrench is just a tad to small. Would it hurt them to make the shimano fit..arghh... Then i triede to fit fenders..bugger, the lifeline i bought from wiggle simply wont fit. So looking at crud´s or sks raceblade long..So far a super frustrating build!

willmac

by willmac

alpinestar wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:57 pm
Allright build on my winter hack has begun. First set of problems, the praxis BB. So frustrating they need a special too to install. The shimane wrench is just a tad to small. Would it hurt them to make the shimano fit..arghh... Then i triede to fit fenders..bugger, the lifeline i bought from wiggle simply wont fit. So looking at crud´s or sks raceblade long..So far a super frustrating build!

Sks bleumels are what you want. Mine are posted a while back on this thread. Zip ties and a caad optimo bridge bracket is all you need

alpinestar

by alpinestar

Ah forgot to mention it’s a caad 10 rimbrake. Clearance at the front is super tight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Can confirm SKS Raceblade long will work fine at the front on that vintage of CAAD10. At the rear, it's a bit more tricky if you want to clear 25s on wide rims. The problem is usually "forward" of the brake bridge, but both brackets will need a bit of bending. I ended up fitting an old long-drop caliper (and then a 5800 caliper) for increased clearance, as the 6800 caliper I had fitted pushed the brackets down to contact the tyre.

Helpful hint. Loosely assemble the rear brake/'guard brackets with the back tyre flat. Set a piece of wood about 10mm deep on top of the tyre, such that it will push the brackets tight to the brake bolt as the tyre inflates, and give you a flat edge to reshape the brackets against. Blow up tyre, bend brackets, tighten up brake bolt, job jobbed. Took me a lot of fecking about before I got that one.

Gary71

by Gary71

Here's another CAAD12 from down under.
Stock at this point except wheels optioned at purchase & Stages power estimator (don't bother).
Attachments
IMG_1935 2.jpg
IMG_1932 3.jpg

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

How much does it weigh?

Gary71

by Gary71

wolfesquire wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:48 pm
How much does it weigh?
In current road mode:- 2 not so light bottle cages, Garmin/light forward combo mount), bell with pedals - it sits at 7.4kg.
I plan on changing the handlebars out for some carbon and throw a -17 stem on......, and shorten the cables a bit. i don't know if this will save me much weight, but the bars should quieten the road buzz coming through the bars and make it a little more comfortable.
I wouldn't mind getting a SuperSix HM Disk fork - I should be able to save a couple of grams with that, but maybe lose a couple on the through axle?

Does anyone know the real difference between the CAAD12 and the SS HM fork set up?

alpinestar

by alpinestar

So finished my winter steed! This is for riding through Scandinavian winters! Weigh is 8,8kg with pedals, fenders, Bell, cage ect. Build list is caad10, 10 speed 105, 3t arx stem, some bianchi handlebars I had lying, praxis turn zante chainset, aksium wheels, m520 spd pedals, random china seat post, pro turnix saddle, sks raceblade fenders. I need to dial in the fit a bit more, might need a longer stem, so a kalloy 120 might be comming. Also need to cut the rest of the fork once I am happy with the fit. ImageImageImage
Build cost about 550€

alpinestar

by alpinestar

MisterMuncher wrote:Can confirm SKS Raceblade long will work fine at the front on that vintage of CAAD10. At the rear, it's a bit more tricky if you want to clear 25s on wide rims. The problem is usually "forward" of the brake bridge, but both brackets will need a bit of bending. I ended up fitting an old long-drop caliper (and then a 5800 caliper) for increased clearance, as the 6800 caliper I had fitted pushed the brackets down to contact the tyre.

Helpful hint. Loosely assemble the rear brake/'guard brackets with the back tyre flat. Set a piece of wood about 10mm deep on top of the tyre, such that it will push the brackets tight to the brake bolt as the tyre inflates, and give you a flat edge to reshape the brackets against. Blow up tyre, bend brackets, tighten up brake bolt, job jobbed. Took me a lot of fecking about before I got that one.
Thanks for this! I ended doing the brackets over the Caliper, and adding a long bolt to the front mount! There is no room at all under the fork or bridge for any mounts with 25 mm tires. Here are some close ups. ImageImage

lilteichmonster

by lilteichmonster

New to this site. Recently became a tad obsessed with CAADs both old and new. Was able to score a 2011 caad10 frame for a good price and have been working on a custom paint job using spray.bike. Seriously stoked with how it's come out!
IMG_20180903_194416.jpg
IMG_20180903_194427.jpg
IMG_20180903_194437.jpg
IMG_20180903_194441.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alpinestar

by alpinestar

Wow, that’s nice! What’s the build plan?