Thoughts on the 2018 BMC Teammachine?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Rone69
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 11:28 am

by Rone69

bilwit wrote:
Hellok wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:39 am
I'm using the standard DT Swiss Pr1600 disc wheelset with an internal width of 19mm, external of 22mm on Vittoria 25c tyres.

Having searched the market for new wheels it appears there are no good options for upgrades based on my photos for clearance, other than Lightweight Millenstein which has a 24mm external width - and out of my price range! I am not confident from the above and my photos that 28c tyres fit.

Perhaps it is safe to say that the widest I could run is a rim that has an external width of 25mm, internal of 18mm based on what they specify on the SLR01 ONE. That rim is the DT Swiss PR1400 35, however it is not very deep.

What are your thoughts?
Rone69 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:51 pm
I don't understand if the SLR01 2019 (rim brakes) have some tyre clearance improvement, and anyway which is the maximum tyre size clearance ?? I mean effective/measured size.
Thank you very much.
The maximum is 28mm measured width which is most likely not going to be "28mm" tire (more like a 25mm tire on 21mm internal at the very maximum). With my rim brake version, I found that even a 25mm (measured) setup required either special pads or special brake shoes for the front to clear (with DA9000 calipers). Not sure exactly how Team BMC Racing clears the new Dura Ace 28mm tubular rims but apparently they manage..
So, I suppose that this combo tire/wheel don't fit in the Teammachine SLR01 rim brakes
20180809_160754.jpeg

Stitchking
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 7:30 am

by Stitchking


bilwit wrote:Not sure exactly how Team BMC Racing clears the new Dura Ace 28mm tubular rims but apparently they manage..
Tubulars tend to be pretty true to stated size regardless of rim width

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk


by Weenie


Rone69
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 11:28 am

by Rone69

bilwit wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:45 pm
Hellok wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:39 am
I'm using the standard DT Swiss Pr1600 disc wheelset with an internal width of 19mm, external of 22mm on Vittoria 25c tyres.

Having searched the market for new wheels it appears there are no good options for upgrades based on my photos for clearance, other than Lightweight Millenstein which has a 24mm external width - and out of my price range! I am not confident from the above and my photos that 28c tyres fit.

Perhaps it is safe to say that the widest I could run is a rim that has an external width of 25mm, internal of 18mm based on what they specify on the SLR01 ONE. That rim is the DT Swiss PR1400 35, however it is not very deep.

What are your thoughts?
Rone69 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:51 pm
I don't understand if the SLR01 2019 (rim brakes) have some tyre clearance improvement, and anyway which is the maximum tyre size clearance ?? I mean effective/measured size.
Thank you very much.
The maximum is 28mm measured width which is most likely not going to be "28mm" tire (more like a 25mm tire on 21mm internal at the very maximum). With my rim brake version, I found that even a 25mm (measured) setup required either special pads or special brake shoes for the front to clear (with DA9000 calipers). Not sure exactly how Team BMC Racing clears the new Dura Ace 28mm tubular rims but apparently they manage..

So, if I have understood correctly, this tire+wheel don't fit well on the Teammachine SLR01 whith rim brakes, right?
Attachments
20180809_160754.jpg

bilwit
Posts: 1204
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:49 am
Location: Seattle, WA

by bilwit

Rone69 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:35 pm
So, if I have understood correctly, this tire+wheel don't fit well on the Teammachine SLR01 whith rim brakes, right?
It looks like 26mm across to me. Mine with 25mm couldn't clear with standard Shimano brake shoes on the front unless I used those short SwissStop pads. Now I use EE brake shoes with regular pads and actually have some play with the quick release and barrel adjuster on the caliper.

The issue is that the brake shoe is mounted so that the rear half is inside the fork and the little indentation built into the fork is pretty shallow so the shoes hitting the fork limits how wide the caliper is able to open. In my experience, only a brake shoe with a flat low profile like EE's will be able to clear ~25-26mm with normal pads. I think it will clear up to 28mm as per spec with the right shoes &pads (probably both required rather than either/or) and perhaps having the QR and barrel aduster opened up quite a bit..

Rone69
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 11:28 am

by Rone69

bilwit wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:06 pm
It looks like 26mm across to me. Mine with 25mm couldn't clear with standard Shimano brake shoes on the front unless I used those short SwissStop pads. Now I use EE brake shoes with regular pads and actually have some play with the quick release and barrel adjuster on the caliper.

The issue is that the brake shoe is mounted so that the rear half is inside the fork and the little indentation built into the fork is pretty shallow so the shoes hitting the fork limits how wide the caliper is able to open. In my experience, only a brake shoe with a flat low profile like EE's will be able to clear ~25-26mm with normal pads. I think it will clear up to 28mm as per spec with the right shoes &pads (probably both required rather than either/or) and perhaps having the QR and barrel aduster opened up quite a bit..


It's an Hutchinson Fusion Performance 11storm 25 TRL, real size it's 28mmat 7.0bar, the inner rim width it's 18.3mm, Corima 2.0 pads and Ultegra R8000 brakes.

st0ffe
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:31 am

by st0ffe

I have a 2019 SLR02 One, with Hed Jet+ 6 and Conti GP4000 25mm. They measure something like 28,2-28,3 mm width on those wheels (5,5 bar). No issues with clearance/rubbing at all.

Image

Image

Rone69
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 11:28 am

by Rone69

st0ffe wrote:I have a 2019 SLR02 One, with Hed Jet+ 6 and Conti GP4000 25mm. They measure something like 28,2-28,3 mm width on those wheels (5,5 bar). No issues with clearance/rubbing at all.

Image

Image
Thank you very much!

st0ffe
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:31 am

by st0ffe

Rone69 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:35 pm
Thank you very much!
Welcome! :)


I saw there were some earlier comments regarding the ICS stem... I got mine today, removed the parts not needed (on a rim brake bike) and installed it. It works quite well, especially if you want to drop some stack. Forgive me for not shortening the cables yet...

Image

Image

Image

There's also a zero setback seatpost.

Rone69
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 11:28 am

by Rone69

st0ffe wrote:
Rone69 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:35 pm
Thank you very much!
Welcome! :)


I saw there were some earlier comments regarding the ICS stem... I got mine today, removed the parts not needed (on a rim brake bike) and installed it. It works quite well, especially if you want to drop some stack. Forgive me for not shortening the cables yet...

Image

Image

Image

There's also a zero setback seatpost.
Wich size is the frame?

st0ffe
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:31 am

by st0ffe

Rone69 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:30 pm
Wich size is the frame?
56.

Rone69
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 11:28 am

by Rone69

st0ffe wrote:
Rone69 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:30 pm
Wich size is the frame?
56.
Thank you!

bilwit
Posts: 1204
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:49 am
Location: Seattle, WA

by bilwit

st0ffe wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:00 pm
I saw there were some earlier comments regarding the ICS stem... I got mine today, removed the parts not needed (on a rim brake bike) and installed it. It works quite well, especially if you want to drop some stack. Forgive me for not shortening the cables yet...

There's also a zero setback seatpost.
That actually looks pretty good but there's not much use in using it without all the integration bits to make it.. integrated. It weighs like a brick. The new stem for the Timemachine Road is intriguing because it's proprietary for use with the new aero bar

iamraymond
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:59 am

by iamraymond

st0ffe wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:00 pm

There's also a zero setback seatpost.
That 2019 color and the ICS stem looks awesome. Did you mean you ordered a zero setback seatpost? That looks like the normal 15mm offset one to me. I'm contemplating ordering a 0mm seat post as well since I have my saddle slammed all the way forward on the rails..

bilwit
Posts: 1204
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:49 am
Location: Seattle, WA

by bilwit

iamraymond wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:02 pm
st0ffe wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:00 pm

There's also a zero setback seatpost.
That 2019 color and the ICS stem looks awesome. Did you mean you ordered a zero setback seatpost? That looks like the normal 15mm offset one to me. I'm contemplating ordering a 0mm seat post as well since I have my saddle slammed all the way forward on the rails..
the one shown is the zero setback one, which seems to be the same as the normal offset one in appearance except it has a that little extra bit in front that noticeably sticks out so that they could move the clamp forward..

Rone69
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 11:28 am

by Rone69

Anyone have an image of a seatpst with 30mm seatback?

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post