Still riding a 2010 Cervelo S2, time to upgrade?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

parajba

by parajba

As per title, I race and annoy club rubs and chain gangs. The bike seems fine but I am wondering if I am missing out much in terms of performance...I quite like the Canyon Aeroad and the Cervelo S5 (more the Aeroad though). Leaving the discs aside (entirely another topic), will my riding be any different if I purchased a Canyon Aeroad with integrated cockpit etc?

The S2 has Red 10 speed mechanical and 303 clinchers (2017). On the Canyon was thinking to put Red eTap and to keep the 303.

But regardless of the (different) components, is the newer frame (e.g. Aeroad) £2150 better than my S2?

Robbyville

by Robbyville

Like always, I truly beieve it comes down to your own strenth and performance. Could you save a few watts with a newer bike, more aero posture, and a little lighter, especially around the wheels? Sure but it's really negligeable to the common rider IMO. Now the psychological benefits can be huge, new toys, use them more, ride longer and who knows maybe it will fit and be more comfortable than your current steed and optomize power comparatively (but again I'm sure you fit on your current bike pretty well :)) Maybe even new shifting will make you just a teeny tiny bit smoother and save you a little here and there.

Personally I'm always a fan of new things but I'm realistic in my expectations as far as performance gains!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

parajba

by parajba

Robbyville wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:44 pm
Like always, I truly beieve it comes down to your own strenth and performance. Could you save a few watts with a newer bike, more aero posture, and a little lighter, especially around the wheels? Sure but it's really negligeable to the common rider IMO. Now the psychological benefits can be huge, new toys, use them more, ride longer and who knows maybe it will fit and be more comfortable than your current steed and optomize power comparatively (but again I'm sure you fit on your current bike pretty well :)) Maybe even new shifting will make you just a teeny tiny bit smoother and save you a little here and there.

Personally I'm always a fan of new things but I'm realistic in my expectations as far as performance gains!
Thanks! Forgot to add that I had a bike fit done (albeit 6-7 years ago) and the Cervelo fits like a glove.

Yes fully agree that it’s done to one’s legs and abilities at the end of the day...but everything else equal...

I know there is a lot of marketing etc, but are new frames significantly better than mine from 2010? It still looks like a kick ass no frill bikes tbh.

Robbyville

by Robbyville

Agreed, I think there have been some nice changes to frames from 2010 to 2018 but they mostly boil down to weight savings and aero efficiencies.

BUT I do think that if the exception exists it’s the endurance geometry trends and basic comfort aids like Trek’s Domane isocoupler and such.

If it makes sense for you, I can honestly say that the most comfortable ride I’ve ever had was with the 4 years I had on my last Domane (I’m sure others are equally as good). Couple that with tubeless wheels and I do feel like my performance improved simply because I was more comfortable and able to apply more consistent watts throughout my rides than prior.

Just my .02, and again take it with a grain of salt... I am the consumate consumer and love to purchase goofy things that make me happy but make not a lick of difference in performance. I’m just good at justifying these things to myself (like custom handlebar tape leather that hopefully should last 20k Miles!

srshaw

by srshaw

Didn't the old s2/s3 give a bit of a solid ride? New bike might be more comfortable. I doubt there'd be much in performance.

parajba

by parajba

Thanks. I find the ride quite comfortable actually...I am running Zipp 303 (clinchers, 2017). with Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm at 89/93PSI (I am 68kg).

Stueys

by Stueys

parajba wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:26 pm
Thanks. I find the ride quite comfortable actually...I am running Zipp 303 (clinchers, 2017). with Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm at 89/93PSI (I am 68kg).
I’d try dropping the pressure a smidge at your weight on 25’s

parajba

by parajba

Stueys wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:29 pm
parajba wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:26 pm
I’d try dropping the pressure a smidge at your weight on 25’s
Interesting. I am indeed very tempted as I feel I could go lower but there is a warning on the sidewall that says ‘minimum pressure 87PSI’ and did not want to get too close to 87...thoughts?

For clarity, I run 89PSI (F) and 93 (R). I have a digital gauge.

How lower would you go?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

A smidge is 5.000 psi by the way. A very exact number :D

I think those air pressures look fine. A bit too low in the rear for my weight distribution. I'd have 90/100 probably.

Depends on your circumstances so it's personal.

On smooth roads you can benefit up to 110psi, on medium roads up to 100, and on rough roads like 70psi. (tt bike 86kg riding weight 50/50 weight distribution, I'm quoting silca article).

AJS914

by AJS914

You could add an integrated bar/stem to what you have now to gain a few watts. Changing to a modern aero might only gain you a few more watts. I'm not sure that is worth the cost / benefit.

KotP

by KotP

Well you're thinking about a new bike so a new bike is inevitable.

I'm sure you're current ride is just fine but if you do upgrade don't go for a S5, well at least not the current S5, the next gen will be along soon enough.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Robbyville wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:48 am

Just my .02, and again take it with a grain of salt... I am the consumate consumer and love to purchase goofy things that make me happy but make not a lick of difference in performance. I’m just good at justifying these things to myself (like custom handlebar tape leather that hopefully should last 20k Miles!
:lol:
believe me: you are not alone! :wink:

became little better, since i spend less time on boards like that.... :)

i personally dont like the 2018-cervelo-range aesthetically (except p-series), so i would keep the 2010-s5.

robeambro

by robeambro

Order an Aeroad, try it yourself, and if you are not convinced you canalways send it back within a month or so :)

parajba

by parajba

robeambro wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:46 pm
Order an Aeroad, try it yourself, and if you are not convinced you canalways send it back within a month or so :)
How does this work? Form the UK as well?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

parajba wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:19 pm
robeambro wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:46 pm
How does this work? Form the UK as well?
As far as I can remember, they have a 30-day policy where you can try the bike and then return it with no questions asked. Well, undamaged, that is.
But don't take my word for it, they have a handy online chat service on their website, have a go and ask them directly! :)