Meld 3D Saddle Review - BUYER BEWARE

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

60 is the figure quoted as the replacement cost. Our focus, when we write the word 'token', is not to make it seem as though we're rolling in money and $60 is nothing to us. For those unfamiliar with San Jose, we have a homeless problem, though not as significant as San Francisco's. Everyday we see homeless folks panhandling at traffic junctions.

We want to make clear that we are -not- now insinuating that Jeremy is a homeless person.
Is this really the company’s response? This is so bizarre that I’d avoid their products just on this basis.

Saddles shouldn’t crack. If they do, it is a defect. Replace the first saddle without assuming your customer is committing a fraud.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

I was curious about what triggered the autopsy process so I asked about it.

This is the photo Smithjeb sent them, according to him the saddle is still mounted on his bike:

Meld has seen pothole/crash impact damage before, so the abnormalies pointed to by the red arrows look familiar. What isn't familiar is the scuffing pointed to by the green arrow. That triggered the request for the return shipment.

They showed this photo with a close up of the scuff. It goes through the leather, and hits the carbon underneath. It looks like it is at least a sideways, and probably an upward force.

Next they stared at the graphics a bit. Notice the jagged black line running through the white background? They've never seen this before.

Then they look at the impact damage places themselves, pointed to by the red arrows in the first picture. Apparently for previous cases, carbon on both sides are roughly equally delaminated. But in this case, the delamination on the left side, or the side with the scuff and the jagged black line in the graphics, is significantly longer than the right. They think something else happened.

They emulated an upward force applied at the scuffed part (around the index finger below),

and discovered that the part of the saddle highlighted below is cracked below the surface. On the other side of the highlighted crack is the jagged line.

So the analysis is that an upward impact at the scuffed area of the saddle initiated shell failure, which is exerbated by continued riding. They don't think the upward impact force causing the scuffing is normally encountered during rides.

There is one other observation they made: The funny thing about the saddle cover is that it reflects contact with the body. Over time, the place(s) where we sit will turn shiny due to wear and sweat (I went and looked at my saddle for a bit). They used this property to prove to someone he's been sitting on his perineum for the past few months. They show the photo below comparing Smithjeb's saddle with a brand new saddle, and say that Smithjeb's saddle's cover shows at least medium if not quite a bit of usage (thousands of miles):

Last edited by antonioiglesius on Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

antonioiglesius wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:52 am
I was curious about what triggered the autopsy process so I asked about it.

This is the photo Jeremy sent them, according to him the saddle is still mounted on his bike:

Meld has seen pothole/crash impact damage before, so the abnormalies pointed to by the red arrows look familiar. What isn't familiar is the scuffing pointed to by the green arrow. That triggered the request for the return shipment.

They showed this photo with a close up of the scuff. It goes through the leather, and hits the carbon underneath. It looks like it is at least a sideways, and probably an upward force.

Next they stared at the graphics a bit. Notice the jagged black line running through the white background? They've never seen this before.

Then they look at the impact damage places themselves, pointed to by the red arrows in the first picture. Apparently for previous cases, carbon on both sides are roughly equally delaminated. But in this case, the delamination on the left side, or the side with the scuff and the jagged black line in the graphics, is significantly longer than the right. They think something else happened.

They emulated an upward force applied at the scuffed part (around the index finger below),

and discovered that the part of the saddle highlighted below is cracked below the surface. On the other side of the highlighted crack is the jagged line.

So the analysis is that an upward impact at the scuffed area of the saddle initiated shell failure, which is exerbated by continued riding. They don't think the upward impact force causing the scuffing is normally encountered during rides.

There is one other observation they made: The funny thing about the saddle cover is that it reflects contact with the body. Over time, the place(s) where we sit will turn shiny due to wear and sweat (I went and looked at my saddle for a bit). They used this property to prove to someone he's been sitting on his perineum for the past few months. They show the photo below comparing Jeremy's saddle with a brand new saddle, and say that Jeremy's saddle's cover shows at least medium if not quite a bit of usage (thousands of miles):

I find it weird that through all of this, you've made it your personal mission to interfere with the process. If you work for Meld, state it. If not, it's terribly unprofessional for a company to be passing on customer emails and information to somebody such as yourself. It is also unprofessional to post private emails and photos of the case without consent of the customer. I for one would NEVER give business to a company who releases such information to somebody not associated with the company to then come and fight out on a public forum.

That's just my opinion, because that's what a forum is for.

P.S - An autopsy is a medical procedure. The saddle was "inspected".

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

It's not the first, nor the last time I interfered with any companies' process. I did it for Bare Composites, and I kind of want to do it for Lekki8. I was thinking of doing reviews for the Raptor glasses, but apparently there's no interest in that here. In this case I just think someone needs to figure out the truth, because I've been there, I know how things can be like. I don't want something which I think is cool to go away because of stupid reasons.

I did not post any emails. The only thing from the customer is the first photo. I can remove that if there is general objection. I don't think Meld's response includes anything from the customer. Again I can remove parts if there is general objection.

I know people love a good lynching as long as they are not the victim. Most people will simply stand by and watch. I'm not one of those guys.

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

antonioiglesius wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:53 am
It's not the first, nor the last time I interfered with any companies' process. I did it for Bare Composites, and I kind of want to do it for Lekki8. I was thinking of doing reviews for the Raptor glasses, but apparently there's no interest in that here. In this case I just think someone needs to figure out the truth, because I've been there, I know how things can be like. I don't want something which I think is cool to go away because of stupid reasons.

I did not post any emails. The only thing from the customer is the first photo. I can remove that if there is general objection. I don't think Meld's response includes anything from the customer. Again I can remove parts if there is general objection.

I know people love a good lynching as long as they are not the victim. Most people will simply stand by and watch. I'm not one of those guys.
My point is, Meld should not be sharing information with you on customer support cases period. I don’t care who you are. It can be the coolest product known to man but that’s irrelevant. They’ve done the wrong thing.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

So it feels like the OP hasn't given the whole story and that Meld have piss poor business practices by sharing out private correspondence.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Sammutd88 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:27 am
My point is, Meld should not be sharing information with you on customer support cases period. I don’t care who you are. It can be the coolest product known to man but that’s irrelevant. They’ve done the wrong thing.
Hmm, they did not share any customer emails with me. They know I have been a conduit for them at WW (they reply themselves on RBR), and they pass me the exact information I then post here (instead of "we' I put 'they', and other paraphrasing). So the information you see from me is what you'll see if they post it themselves. And I do have Jeremy's permission in this case:
"I would love for you to talk to them directly. They wouldn’t call me. They hid out behind a keyboard."

And in case you're wondering, "Why can't they post this stuff themselves?" I tell them to do that (because I'm tired), but they say they prefer not to get too involved...

And honestly why didn't they mention the scuffing and the other stuff before and had to wait till I ask them??

Still not ok?

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

antonioiglesius wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:42 am
Sammutd88 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:27 am
Hmm, they did not share any customer emails with me. They know I have been a conduit for them at WW (they reply themselves on RBR), and they pass me the exact information I then post here (instead of "we' I put 'they', and other paraphrasing). So the information you see from me is what you'll see if they post it themselves. And I do have Jeremy's permission in this case:
"I would love for you to talk to them directly. They wouldn’t call me. They hid out behind a keyboard."

And in case you're wondering, "Why can't they post this stuff themselves?" I tell them to do that (because I'm tired), but they say they prefer not to get too involved...

And honestly why didn't they mention the scuffing and the other stuff before and had to wait till I ask them??

Still not ok?
They don’t want to get involved? It’s their issue with a customer! “They pass you the information” - hence they share customer information with you. Keep digging yourself and Meld a deeper hole....

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Woah....

I guess I missed out an important bit, I should have said they don't want to get involved with this community too much. Sorry! My fault...

From their response, it seems that they have been very involved interacting with Jeremy, yes? 19 emails from 3 to 11pm? I don't know what other interactions they are having, I don't see their emails.

And no, they definitely do not pass me customer data. They only tell me stuff they want me to post, then I post. That's it. Or do you mean they are not allowed to show us how the 'autopsy' was performed and their findings? If so, what should they have said?
Last edited by antonioiglesius on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

damond

by damond

This is a joke.... you are obviously connected to them. Anyway, this is so unprofessional from those (you) guys. If the company has something to say, do as others have done in the past. Create an account and post it. "Don't want to get too involved"? LOL

Crash replacement is one thing. Warranty is another. Saddle broke while being used in what it was designed for? Sh*t happens, replace it and everyone is happy. I am sure from a Marketing point of view, this story brings them much worse reputation than the cost they would had to replace the damn saddle.

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

antonioiglesius wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:18 am
Woah....

I guess I missed out an important bit, I should have said they don't want to get involved with this community too much. Sorry! My fault...

From their response, it seems that they have been very involved interacting with Jeremy, yes? 19 emails from 3 to 11pm? I don't know what other interactions they are having, I don't see their emails.

And no, they definitely do not pass me customer data. They only tell me stuff they want me to post, then I post. That's it. Or do you mean they are not allowed to show us how the 'autopsy' was performed and their findings? If so, what should they have said?
No serious company gets some random fanboy to post on their behalf. Especially one who seems rather simple in not realising what the real issue is. You need to stop. You really do....

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

@damond You are right, I am connected to them. Not as an employee, but as a customer and I know them well. I think I've said that since they were at Interbike 2016.

"Saddle broke while being used in what it was designed for?"

That's the thing, isn't it? That doesn't look like it's the case.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Sigh, I guess I've become a distraction! Sorry...

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I'm going to need more popcorn for this level of stupidity.

I guess the moral of the story is Be Weary of Meld saddles and their fine print, fanboys (who seem suspiciously close to Meld, 2 out of 4 of the topics you have started relate to Meld and you suggest Meld saddles on a variety of threads) are an appropriate way to share business related information to the public and the answer to every issue is you're not using your sit bones properly.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Again, don't make a saddle that breaks when you hit a pothole. That's simply not safe and would never be found under my arse.