2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

guyc

by guyc

People who make their way up a mountain to boo, or spit, or throw piss, or punch, or kick...

....wankers every one of you. And an absolute embarrassment to yourselves.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

Michelle Froome isn't going to be happy, can't wait for the first tweets criticsing Thomas from the horrible woman.

maquisard

by maquisard

guyc wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:52 pm
Are you talking about Team Sky fans?

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

maquisard wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:54 pm
guyc wrote:
No the fans whose behaviour left an awful lot to be desired. Did you see the idiot who turned his back to the riders, dropped his shorts and `mooned', pathetic.

bilwit

by bilwit

Thomas:
Like I said, I'm still riding for Froome, he is still the man, he knows how to ride for three weeks.
God he needs to be slapped. It's a disservice to the yellow jersey if he doesn't FIGHT FOR IT. The DS also confirmed that the plan is still to setup Froome for the win :roll:

Rondje

by Rondje

Apparently, they caught the guy that attacked Froome, I'm not sure since he wore green shorts. But maybe there were more attackers.

KB

by KB

basilic wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:48 pm
Historical perspective:
French TV just showed a clip of Eddy Merckx hit hard in the ribcage by a spectator on the Alpe d'Huez in 1975. Eddy lost his breath and had trouble finishing the stage (he lost the tour to Thévenet). Eddy rode down on his bike to find the spectator, and sued him; the guy got off on probation and 1 french franc in damages.
Apparently a lot of French spectators hated Merckx for his success, called him salaud and worse when interviewed on TV. They held out for Poupou. The writer Antoine Blondin commented that it was because Poulidor was the ultimate "Français moyen" who never wins anything (that seems unfair to Poulidor who won plenty, just not the Tour).
Remember it well. It was actually on the Puy de Dome. They were screaming at Merckx and one woman called him a salope. Merckx always claimed that the medicine they gave him thinned his blood and it led to his failure at Pra Loup. Thevenet then won on the Izoard; a female had a placard that said 'The Bastille has fallen, Merckx is beaten'. The French have never been good with riders that dominate. Poulidor was always more popular than Anquetil.
Last edited by KB on Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guyc

by guyc

maquisard wrote:
guyc wrote:
Try to look beyond your hatred of Sky. Just once.

KB

by KB

Some of these so-called fans are as bad as football hooligans. I thought the booing of Thomas on the podium has reached a new low.

Attermann

by Attermann

guyc wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:36 pm
maquisard wrote:
guyc wrote:
why the need to call people wankers?

guyc

by guyc

:welcome:
Attermann wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:39 pm
guyc wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:36 pm
maquisard wrote:
guyc wrote:
why the need to call people wankers?
Because when they act like that it’s exactly what they are.

djcharlou

by djcharlou

I was on the side of the road yesterday 6k from the finish, heard only one dude shout "cheaters" to Sky and he wasn't french so don't need to say we all hate him ( i'm french)
When you see them in action, even Kittel 30min later all by himself, you respect the game a bit more :)

Jugi

by Jugi

bilwit wrote: God he needs to be slapped. It's a disservice to the yellow jersey if he doesn't FIGHT FOR IT. The DS also confirmed that the plan is still to setup Froome for the win :roll:
I would classify going up Alpe d'Huez in under 40 minutes (and being first over the line in a group of world's fastest), as "fighting for it".

But, Thomas is just a stand in for Froome in the yellow jersey. 15 minutes after a stage as Thomas is receiving his flowers and a yellow jersey, where is Froome? Most likely laid down enjoying his massage.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

djcharlou wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:27 pm
I was on the side of the road yesterday 6k from the finish, heard only one dude shout "cheaters" to Sky and he wasn't french so don't need to say we all hate him ( i'm french)
When you see them in action, even Kittel 30min later all by himself, you respect the game a bit more :)
Thats nice to hear. But love Froome or loathe him its hard to avoid the conclusion many of the other rivals have just overdosed on stupid. Spanish TV comentators were full on the fact that Movistar had a great plan setup for today..just no-one seemed to have told Quintana...

Leviathan

by Leviathan

mike wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:44 pm
i am also hoping nairo can take the third week and froome fades with all those giro miles in his legs.
So am I, and as you're the ONLY one on this forum who picked Froome for the Giro after week one, Id give the idea some credence, but Quintana looks poor, and I cant recall a race when hes ridden himself into form?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com