CeramicSpeed DrivEn - Faster than any chain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chunky666

by chunky666

Will they get it to work - probably yes

Will anyone buy it - maybe

Is it nice to see someone taking a different approach to achieve the same results. Ultimately beyond adding a gear here or there and the evolution to 1x group sets I don't see any real innovation left with normal drive trains.

Ignoring the 'everything perfect' drivetrain efficiency figures I wonder how quickly the efficiency figures drop off compared to normal ones? So take a brand new DA group set and then this on. Everything being equal on the bike you go and ride a weeks worth of identical riding. Now you have some road grime and grit in there how do the figures look?

DurianGrey

by DurianGrey

i love when someone makes a prototype that i can compare to fully mature technology and judge harshly using my engineering degree. it makes me feel great, like the world would be better if only i was the dictator of the bike industry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

akaspin

by akaspin

I see only one mistake in this concept: rear gear before rear axle. This design presumes full reengineering of rear triangle. I really don’t believe that frame manufacturers will be happy about that. The better approach is put rear gear after rear axle. This makes it possible to install the system on any frame as well as avoid to make holes in shaft.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

akaspin wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:29 pm
I see only one mistake in this concept: rear gear before rear axle. This design presumes full reengineering of rear triangle. I really don’t believe that frame manufacturers will be happy about that. The better approach is put rear gear after rear axle. This makes it possible to install the system on any frame as well as avoid to make holes in shaft.

No. Apply an ounce of common sense and you’ll realize why that is a bad idea. The shaft would have to extend as far as the radius of the largest “cog” in the rear. As you can see on the concept bike, that is a very large radius. The shaft would also not be braced past the rear triangle and the extra length would also require reinforcement in the shaft itself.

akaspin

by akaspin

It's cheaper than new frame :-D

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

You need a new frame regardless for numerous reasons. It’s a completely different technology that can’t be retrofitted to existing frames even if you tried to.

1) The 90 degree forces would probably break your rear triangle.
2) The chainstay has to be elevated so that the shaft line up with the wheel axle.
3) The BB shell area needs similar redesign.
4) Collars need to be added to the chainstay to hold the axle.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

jellytots

by jellytots

Am I the only one who sees this in the most ludicrous light? :noidea:

As an engineering design exercise it's alright. But real-world application is totally whack. How bloody long did it take for disc brakes to become mainstream again? And that had real world benefits. This??

Discodan

by Discodan

Is this something they actually want to productionise or a marketing exercise disguised as engineering?

It’s a brilliant play; they’ve massively boosted their brand reputation as a technical innovator and at the same time it’s actually a plug for their existing drivetrain products, which will give you half of the efficiency gains of this blue-sky project but you can buy it at your LBS today.

The barriers of taking this from its current proto stage to production are huge but why would you bother, it’s already done its job

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

guyc

by guyc

I can't even begin to imagine the cost of this if it ever went into production.

£400 for a pair of jockey wheels (probably the least cost-effective 'upgrade' there is)......this would be even more eye-watering.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

jellytots wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:13 am
Am I the only one who sees this in the most ludicrous light?
Nope. Would be a great idea for 1st April