Holdsworth competition

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

twoyacks

by twoyacks

PinaRene wrote:The build is started. Still not sure what groupset it will be ( Looking for Campagnolo Record / Super Record )

Out of the packaging :arrow:

Shortened the fork and inserted the Cane Creek 40 headsetand bottle cages :arrow:

Handlebar / stem mounted and chainstay protection placed :arrow:

Nicely shaped tubes 8)

Ready for now.

Build :

Frame : Holdsworth Competition / Columbus Spirit / Columbus Fork
Stem / Seatpost : Deda superzero
Handlebar : 3T Ergonova for now
Headset : Cane Creek 40
Bottle Cages : Arundel
Saddle : Fizik Arione Braided
Wheels : Campagnolo Bora - Tubulars : Schwalbe one / Conti Competition
Attachments
Hey...could you provide some guidance on size.  I normally ride a 56cm top tube road frame...with a 25mm setback post and a shortish 70mm stem<br />Looks like I'm between sizes 55 vs 57 top tube...but i'm thinking the 57 would be more for me???
Hey...could you provide some guidance on size. I normally ride a 56cm top tube road frame...with a 25mm setback post and a shortish 70mm stem
Looks like I'm between sizes 55 vs 57 top tube...but i'm thinking the 57 would be more for me???

User Name

by User Name

twoyacks wrote:can some provide some guidance on size?

What would you like to know? I find the 175mm head tube on my 57 is a bit big, but the 155mm on the 55 would be too small for me.

You've probably seen the geometry chart on the web site.

Jee, they've been discounted again to 450 GBP!! Wow, that's cheap.
Take the VAT off, then add postage, it's still very cheap

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOCO/ho ... n-frameset

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Today I bought a nice pair of Campagnolo Hyperon Ultra Two for the bike. Weight will be around 7.3Kg now.

SlowSprinter

by SlowSprinter

This looks fantastic, I have contemplating an orange one for a while but have never pulled the trigger, however after seeing this I may just do so!

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Just a quick photo of the bike with Hyperon Ultra wheels ( Conti Competition Tubulars 25mm rear & 22mm front ) - now it's around 7,3Kg. The wheels look small compared to the Bora's I have also for this build, but in real life it's okay.

The day after , decided to take off the Continental Tubulars & to put on some Vittoria Grapheen+ 25mm.

Kkeiller

by Kkeiller

What is the size of headset you used on this build? I am just starting a project with this frame. Looks great!

DaveT

by DaveT

Considering one of these myself, how you getting on with it?

User Name

by User Name

I like mine more and more. In fact, it's become my "everyday bike" for all training and group smash-fests. The only time I've ridden another bike in the last 6 months was when it was wet.

Oh my gord, they're even cheaper now!! :D https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOCO/ho ... n-frameset
However, it now says "from 377 GPD", so that price might be for the less popular sizes.

As I said previously, one very minor gripe I have is that I was expecting Columbus Spirit to be lighter (my 57cm bare frame is 1842g), but I don't feel the weight when I ride it, like I think I do when I used to ride my old 531 bikes, even though they're a similar weight. The design is totally different to tradional steel frames, so I suppose it's an unfair comparison
Last edited by User Name on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

£377 for all sizes, I'd snap a large orange one up straight away if I hadn't just overspent massively on my kitchen referb!!

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice.

Back 'in the day', our racing community was divided into 'factions' of guys from the 'old counrty': dutch guys; italian guys; eastern europeans (Czech, Romanian, Poles, all related by their ability to speak russian and their hatred of the communists); and, the Brits. The two pro-equipment shops were owned by a Czech and a Brit, respectively. Everyone lusted after the beautiful Holdsworths that the Brit offered, or the Sabatini and Colnagos at the Czech shop. Whilst I raced for thr Czech team (Czech colours, Colnago bikes, Campagnolo components), I secretly loved a white Holdsworth with beautiful chrome lugs and half-chromed forks and stays that one of my rivals had.

Thanks for bringing that back!

kgt

by kgt

The price for such a frame is a steal considering similar frames usually cost more than 1500 euros. Does anybody know though if these are made in the UK or in the Far East?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

kgt wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:06 pm
The price for such a frame is a steal considering similar frames usually cost more than 1500 euros. Does anybody know though if these are made in the UK or in the Far East?
As with everything planet x, they're just buying "old" names, SAB, Holdsworth etc, and trading on the old names with open source stuff.

I do like the looks of the orange version though; its strangely evocative.
Official cafe stop tester

User Name

by User Name

Trivia: I was riding my Holdsworth here in Melbourne one day a few months ago when an English guy stopped me to ask me about it. After a couple of minutes of me telling how great and cheap it was, he told me that he owns the last ever steel Holdsworth made in the original factory.

He said that Holdsworth UK had already ceased trading and were clearing out the joint, but he convinced them to build one last frame for him.
Goos story? Eh, ya hadta be there :D

User Name

by User Name

kgt wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:06 pm
I'm pretty sure they're made in Taiwan. I vaguely remeber reading something on their Facebook page that confirmed it. For that price, I'd be shocked if they were UK-made

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

User Name

by User Name

Geoff wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:08 pm
Ok, that's nice.

Back 'in the day', our racing community was divided into 'factions' of guys from the 'old counrty': dutch guys; italian guys; eastern europeans (Czech, Romanian, Poles, all related by their ability to speak russian and their hatred of the communists); and, the Brits. The two pro-equipment shops were owned by a Czech and a Brit, respectively. Everyone lusted after the beautiful Holdsworths that the Brit offered, or the Sabatini and Colnagos at the Czech shop. Whilst I raced for thr Czech team (Czech colours, Colnago bikes, Campagnolo components), I secretly loved a white Holdsworth with beautiful chrome lugs and half-chromed forks and stays that one of my rivals had.

Thanks for bringing that back!
Planet X also sell a couple of tradional models. Jeepers, even these ones have been discounted!! 610 Quid

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOPRFIT ... s-frameset