Go pro mountable front lights please! Eg exposure

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spookyload

by spookyload

JScycle wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:57 am
spookyload wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:15 am
Light and Motion are very smart with GoPro mounts. The Urban lineup has lights up to 900 lumen and recharge with simple micro USB cables. They also have quick charge lights that run up to 800 lumen. Recharge in a couple hours. I use two of these for 24-races. On the lower settings of 400 lumen, I can see just fine on the road. For MTB 24-hour, I run them at 600 lumen.
kkibbler wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:44 am
Light & Motion have lots of options. Many are the same form factor just brighter/more expensive. Very solid choice.
Thanks. I looked at their lights and they look great, very light as well. Would you suggest 700 or 1000 lumens for road?
I would get the 1000 so you can run the medium or low settings to preserve battery life if needed. Defiantly get the fast charge version. I use my lights 4 days a week and have had them two years without noticeable battery life decay

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

ooo wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:40 am
there is 2$ universal mount (ali link)
try to fix this mount to flashlight permanently

I had one of these that I used with an older Nitecore SRT7 (max like 960lum in turbo). I picked up mine off of either Amazon or ebay for about $5-7. The light, at least mine, bounced arround a lot with the included rubber straps. I endded up using some really small zip ties.

I have since replacecd it with a Garmin Varia UT800 becasue I wanted a smaller/lighter light the ANT+ connectivity to my Edge for changing the light mode. I do really like the UT800, but the downside is it has a narrower beam and the battery doesn't last as long. It does a good job of adjusting the brightness based on speed, but it switches to max at about 15mph (25kph), so it's always on Max unless I'm at a stop light. This gives it about an hour and 1/4 to 1.5 hours before it's dead. If I remember to switch it to day or night flash after the sun comes up or after about an hour, it will last in flash mode for at least a few more hours.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

hanakuso1

by hanakuso1

I have a cygolite metro 1100 and love it. It’s on the cheaper side for the brightness and it has a wide beam. They sell a helmet mount that comes with a GoPro adapter so you could use that to mount on GoPro mounts.

IMO the only downside is the looks. I like the cleaner look of other lights

Maverick23

by Maverick23

IrrelevantD wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:24 pm
ooo wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:40 am
there is 2$ universal mount (ali link)
try to fix this mount to flashlight permanently

I had one of these that I used with an older Nitecore SRT7 (max like 960lum in turbo). I picked up mine off of either Amazon or ebay for about $5-7. The light, at least mine, bounced arround a lot with the included rubber straps. I endded up using some really small zip ties.

I have since replacecd it with a Garmin Varia UT800 becasue I wanted a smaller/lighter light the ANT+ connectivity to my Edge for changing the light mode. I do really like the UT800, but the downside is it has a narrower beam and the battery doesn't last as long. It does a good job of adjusting the brightness based on speed, but it switches to max at about 15mph (25kph), so it's always on Max unless I'm at a stop light. This gives it about an hour and 1/4 to 1.5 hours before it's dead. If I remember to switch it to day or night flash after the sun comes up or after about an hour, it will last in flash mode for at least a few more hours.
I had the garmin Varia it worked great and was a decent light, but unfortunately it has a design flaw.

make sure you keep an eye on the mounting tabs on the light body.

A riding buddy of mine had his varia go for a trip down the road due to the tabs shearing off, I checked my light after this and one of mine had sheared off and the light was holding on by one tab mount.

To be fair to garmin they were excellent in terms warranty and I was refunded in full (because i could return it, my buddy was not so lucky his light ended up under oncoming traffic so he didnt bother even going to pick up the pieces)

I replaced it with a knog PWR

lostrainbow

by lostrainbow

PyreofFyre

by PyreofFyre

What about something from Rec Mounts in Japan? The site is in Japanese, but shouldn't be too difficult to navigate, with Google Translate.

The best thing is that there are mounts for every device conceivable, which should suit any light you can imagine.

I've used their mounts for an Acebeam EC50 Gen II everyday carry light that gives you about 500 lumens for 5 hours, and 3,000 lumens, for 1.5 hours. On the brightest setting, the torch heats up quite a bit though, but you would hardly need a 3,000 lumens beam for most occasions, IMO.

Basically, the Rec Mounts mounts allow you to use any torch as a bike light.

PoF

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Maverick23 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:05 am

I had the garmin Varia it worked great and was a decent light, but unfortunately it has a design flaw.

make sure you keep an eye on the mounting tabs on the light body.

A riding buddy of mine had his varia go for a trip down the road due to the tabs shearing off, I checked my light after this and one of mine had sheared off and the light was holding on by one tab mount.

To be fair to garmin they were excellent in terms warranty and I was refunded in full (because i could return it, my buddy was not so lucky his light ended up under oncoming traffic so he didnt bother even going to pick up the pieces)

I replaced it with a knog PWR

Thanks for the heads up and warning. I'm going to check mine and take steps to see if I can ensure it doesn't end up on the road if I run into the same issue. Maybe some zip ties under it, or tape a teather to it or something.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

nonamed

by nonamed

I am going to pull trigger on new Bontrager ION 200 RT DCRainmaker reviewd recently:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/07/bon ... eview.html

markdjr

by markdjr

I have been really happy with my Garmin, but the above issues with the tabs is concerning for sure. I have recently picked up a Sinewave Beacon, which I run off of a USB battery pack for longer rides (I have no dyno hubs). It is an awesome light and I really like not having to worry about the battery life (Use a large pack). Sinewave sells an adapted for a gopro mount.

JScycle

by JScycle

I ended up getting the lights and motion 1000 lumen urban (not the fast charge version)
I absolutely love it! It is bright enough for unlit descents and has a great pulse/flash mode for during the day.
I have it go pro mounted under my k-edge mount which makes it look clean but also means the beam is perfectly central
Light was roughly $130AUD and weighs about 130 grams