Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Pierrotdu37

by Pierrotdu37

50X32 Lat view:

50X11 Lat View:

another view:

and now, back to the pleasure of the ride

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

MiddMan wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:41 pm
......I know the cranks are supposedly backward compatible.....
I'm certain Campagnolo engineers cringe when they see posts like this. Graeme is probably just shaking his head thinking "We never said that".

I believe Campagnolo says "No way, it does not work!" The peanut gallery says it works fine. You be the judge but lets not assume Campagnolo agrees that anything 11sp will work with the 12sp [except the chain tool, I believe].

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Thanks guys. That’s sort of what I expected. Just like you can run a Shimano cassette on a Campy drivetrain and vice versa but certainly less than ideal.

I have a 9 speed Shimano Ultegra bike, and an 11 speed Campagnolo SR in the works. Obviously no compatibility there. Instead, it’s more about choosing what works from bike to bike (mostly because of wheels) for the builds of the future (I tend to keep my bikes). So if Campy 11 is still around in a couple years, I’ll probably stick to that.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Pierrotdu37 wrote:... and now, back to the pleasure of the ride
Thanks for the better pics but the pleasure of the ride could be so much better if your drivetrain was set up properly. Because what you’re showing there just ain’t right. Take it back and get a mechanic who knows what they’re doing. Please.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

c60rider

by c60rider

Here's the images of Graeme's bike he built for Bespoked a few months ago that I took and posted here a while back. Pretty clear the one above just isn't set up right.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yup, the only reason you might rotate it back like that, assuming the chainlength is correct in the first place, is in cases where the upper pulley interferes with rear wheel removal due to clearance issues up front (I’m extrapolating a bit here by assuming a very similar design as Shimano, which may or may not be the case). I went into great detail on that subject in a couple or threads already. But on a C59, I don’t see clearance up front as being an issue. So I have to assume that whomever attached that rear derailleur didn’t realize it was probably rotating rearward as he was torquing it down. Kind of an unacceptable install on so many levels if you ask me. Still not sure the derailleur cable is even attached properly to the anchor bolt. Basic stuff all round.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Pierrotdu37

by Pierrotdu37

curious to know what is this version of SR? 50X34 front and 11X32 back or bigger plates front (wich i suspect)?
it looks my chain is longer than yours but curious to see a pic of your setup at max extension 50/52/53x32

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Pierrotdu37: please count the links in your chain. There should be 110links as those chainstays are definitely in the 405-415mm range.

Pierrotdu37

by Pierrotdu37

56 links with outer plates

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

So, 112 links. It’s too long. For chainstays between 405-415mm, the new guideline from Campy with 12sp is 110links, irrespective of the combination or chainrings/cassettes. Tell the mechanic you want the whole thing done over when he’s had a chance to go over the documentation for the 12sp stuff to fully understand the differences and how to install it correctly. It might explain why he rotated the joint way far back, since he probably couldn’t even get it close to properly adjusted with the incorrect chainlength. And now it’s still not close. They owe you a new chain and a new install.
Oh, and a new rear brake cable/housing and a proper install on that as well.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Calnago, I like your style.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Someone has to stand up for the little guy. Bike mechanics are so weird.

Btw @Beeatnik, I like your style too. I laugh every time you say something’s “weird”.

themidge

by themidge

Calnago wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:15 pm
For chainstays between 405-415mm, the new guideline from Campy with 12sp is 110links, irrespective of the combination or chainrings/cassettes.
Why? Surely the range of sizes available would make one or two links' difference :noidea: .

mag

by mag

themidge wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:37 pm
Calnago wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:15 pm
For chainstays between 405-415mm, the new guideline from Campy with 12sp is 110links, irrespective of the combination or chainrings/cassettes.
Why? Surely the range of sizes available would make one or two links' difference :noidea: .
Campagnolo says so in their manual for the chain: https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/ ... _02_18.pdf

page 29: 5 - CHAIN INSTALLATION

The chain must be 110 links long for any combination of chainring (53-39, 52-36 or 50-34) and cassette (11-29 or 11-32) in frames with a chainstay length between 405 and 415 mm. The chain must be 112 links long in frames with longer chainstays. The new chain has 114 links and therefore either 4 or 2 links must be removed (Fig. 2).
Last edited by mag on Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Mutual admiration, Cal.

So, here's what's a little confounding (weird) to me. That C59 has one of the few (2nd?) 12s Record groups in France. The shop which installed it must have an established relationship with Campagnolo. And, yet, based on the flickas posted here, the people who worked on that bike haven't cracked a Campagnolo manual since the introduction of C Record. Based on my experiences with 2015 Revolution I'm beginning to believe that the only competent Campagnolo wrenches are single client concerns, ie, home mechanics.
Last edited by beeatnik on Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com