[Help] Broken Campy Rear Derailleur

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

EthanAlef

by EthanAlef

My super record 2015 is broken like this:
IMG_9338.JPG
IMG_9339.JPG
Any spare parts I can purchase to recover it? Please help

kode54

by kode54

during riding? did it tear off the hanger and into your wheel/spokes?

mine broke in a different area...but tore off the hanger and eventually ended up in my spokes and crashing. total damage. maybe saved the jockey wheels. LOL...but everything else was busted up.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EthanAlef

by EthanAlef

Yes during riding. On the second day after changing to Morph OPWS. The chain slipped behind the cassette during down hill. And crush with the wheel and stopped my bike. I have been thrown 720 deg to ground.
Hope there are spare parts to repair the RD screw parts.

monkeytusmc

by monkeytusmc

Ouch. Hope you didn’t injure yourself. Maybe you can pick up a used one and switch around some part. I would guess just getting some replacement parts might be as expensive as finding a used one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wilwil

by wilwil

Ive seen this happen to a SR RM after 40 miles back in 2015. Campy eventually agreed to warranty it. My friend was just riding along on his brand new C60 and it disintegrated, luckily he didnt crash. I built the bike and was accused by the UK warranty place of threading the chain the wrong side of the tab on the jockey wheel cage. Like no one would ever have noticed that would they? Luckily I had pictures of the bike and witnesses.

Miller

by Miller

The only relevant spare part is a complete replacement rear derailleur, I would have thought. Don't see much recoverable on that trashed mech.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

So when you say you were running it with a Morph OPWS, do you mean something like this...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Calnago wrote:So when you say you were running it with a Morph OPWS, do you mean something like this...
Would you think these oversized cages might have added stress to the derailleur body at the dropout area?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Don’t know, I’d have to have one in hand and be able to play around with it to study any differences that might arise between using this vs the stock pulleys and cage. But what I do know that the OP is on the hook for a new derailleur, because no warranty is going to cover that mishap.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Miller

by Miller

"The chain slipped behind the cassette during down hill. "

Maybe the derailleur inner limit screw wasn't set correctly.

c60rider

by c60rider

I'm guessing that as soon as you use a non-campy part on anything then it invalidates the warranty? Or at least gives a good reason as to why it might not be valid. :noidea:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Miller wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:42 pm
"The chain slipped behind the cassette during down hill. "

Maybe the derailleur inner limit screw wasn't set correctly.
Yes, a poor adjustment somewhere is the most likely cause, but that does the OP little good now. And yes @C60, slapping on a cage like that would most certainly invalidate the warranty, even if it works perfectly. I'm just wondering if that contraption puts a lot more stress on the whole mechanism, causing it to break rather than any adjustment issue. I really don't know. But it's unlikely you're going to be able to rebuild that derailleur even if you do find spare parts. I'd just chalk it up to experience and get a new one.

EthanAlef

by EthanAlef

monkeytusmc wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:54 am
Ouch. Hope you didn’t injure yourself. Maybe you can pick up a used one and switch around some part. I would guess just getting some replacement parts might be as expensive as finding a used one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have changed from campy to shimano. Just wonder if any spare part can resume it so I can sell it.
Thanks I have recovered.

EthanAlef

by EthanAlef

wilwil wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:09 pm
Ive seen this happen to a SR RM after 40 miles back in 2015. Campy eventually agreed to warranty it. My friend was just riding along on his brand new C60 and it disintegrated, luckily he didnt crash. I built the bike and was accused by the UK warranty place of threading the chain the wrong side of the tab on the jockey wheel cage. Like no one would ever have noticed that would they? Luckily I had pictures of the bike and witnesses.
It went normally untill I was persuded to use OPWS. The bike shop boss installed it poorly I think. The chain then went behind the cassette.

EthanAlef

by EthanAlef

Miller wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:43 pm
The only relevant spare part is a complete replacement rear derailleur, I would have thought. Don't see much recoverable on that trashed mech.
So sad to hear that :cry:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com