Yet another Colnago framesize help

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Swooshby

by Swooshby

Hi guys.
I´m new here and hope to find some help.
I have the chance to buy a Colnago C60 disc frameset in 54s.
I currently ride on a Merkcx Mourenx 69 and want a more aggressive..

My current bike is not fitted professionally, I´ve done most of the tuning and measurements my self after different guides and a lot of hours on youtube and Google :O
I feel good on the Merckx, have had a little bit of calf pain/issue but I think I´ve solved it with moving the clips and saddle hight..not yet symptom free..
My Merckx is size Large with a Deda 110mm 82degre stem.

However, after using different calculations on the net and trying to compare the geometry on the C60 to other brands, I can´t decide what size I´m in..

Here are my measurements:
A: 67cm
R: 69cm
S: 86cm
K: 152cm

I´m 188cm tall, 80kg, have quite short legs and longer upperbody.
Attachments
Kroppsmått.PNG
Last edited by Swooshby on Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eddy Merckx Mourenx 69 Disc 2017 with eTap

Swooshby

by Swooshby

This is what frame size suggestion I´ve got from different calculators on the web??
Used these two links:
-https://www.roadbike.de/know-how/rennra ... 5593.9.htm
-https://www.wrenchscience.com/Secure/Fit/ArmLength.aspx

Frame Size center-to-center:56 cm
Frame Size center-to-top:58 cm
Overall Reach:70.50 cm
Saddle Height:75.94 cm
Handlebar Width:46 cm

and

Classic fram height (RH): 57 cm
Stemlength (V): 100 mm
Toptube (O): 62 cm
Saddle height (SH): 76 cm

These suggestions not seem to be correct :( I have a feeling?

I attached the Colnago C60 and the Merckx sizeguides also for you guys.
Attachments
Merckx Mourenx 69 Geometry.PNG
Colnago C60 Geometry.PNG

by Weenie

scale29

by scale29

I’m 1’87 with a saddle height of 809mm c2top and I’m on a 56s if that helps at all?

Swooshby

by Swooshby

scale29 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:38 pm
I’m 1’87 with a saddle height of 809mm c2top and I’m on a 56s if that helps at all?
Hm ok...what´s your inseam?
809mm must be to the top of your saddle?
How do you feel on the bike compare to others in position?

audiojan

by audiojan

The problem is that simple measurements isn't granular enough to always put you on the right frame. Other factors such as core strength, flexibility, current/prior injuries/issues, riding goals/distances/terrain, etc all will change the fit. This is why online fit calculators are less than perfect. Yes, they will steer you in the right direction, but personally I wouldn't spend $1000's on "close enough". Ideally, get a bike fit from a good fitter (ask around in your local area which one other people recommend and then interview the fitters).

You already have one person (not picking on him/her, but just using it as an example) recommending a 56cm and they're 187cm. I'm 173 and would ride a 56 sloping (need the reach) to get to my fit.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

mag

by mag

Why don't you spend few bucks and some time with the professional fitter before making the purchase?

If you want more aggressive fit (and are really convinced you'd be fine with it) then 54s would be probably better option as it's lower than the Mourenx 69 in size L, but you might end up with longer stem given your upper body length... But that's just a speculation as everybody is different. I'm shorter (especially my upper body is shorter than yours) and still need the 120mm stem with the 54s. Maybe I've got long arms... :-D

If you still want to do it yourself you can also try to get/borrow some cheap stem with more aggressive angle (-17°) and test the resulting more aggressive position on your current bike. Ideally try multiple stem lengths (110, 120 mm) if possible.

Swooshby

by Swooshby

audiojan wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:56 pm
The problem is that simple measurements isn't granular enough to always put you on the right frame. Other factors such as core strength, flexibility, current/prior injuries/issues, riding goals/distances/terrain, etc all will change the fit. This is why online fit calculators are less than perfect. Yes, they will steer you in the right direction, but personally I wouldn't spend $1000's on "close enough". Ideally, get a bike fit from a good fitter (ask around in your local area which one other people recommend and then interview the fitters).

You already have one person (not picking on him/her, but just using it as an example) recommending a 56cm and they're 187cm. I'm 173 and would ride a 56 sloping (need the reach) to get to my fit.
You are probably absolutely right...But if I do a bikefit, can they come up with the right size for me on a Colnago or another not present bike?
What I mean is that I dont know how bikefit works but I assume that the fit is for on/a specific bike (that I dont have yet) ? The conclusion maybe that Colnago dont fit me aswell :(

Swooshby

by Swooshby

Or does a Bikefit result with the right size for any bike given your specific body and wish?

mag

by mag

It depends, check what are the options around you. There are for example adjustable fitting "machines" (Retul, Guru) that allow lots of geometry variations. The fitter can then work without any particular bike in mind. These machines also allow to be set to emulate geometries of certain bikes so you can then check how it would be on the few selected bikes (with further adjustments to saddle position, stem lengths and angles etc). But there are also different approaches.

vinc

by vinc

Let’s look at stack and reach. Size L of the Merckx is 584 stack and 384 reach. Closest of the C60 is size 54s with 582 stack and 385 reach; a 3mm lower and 1 mm longer position of the stem. Not a huge difference with the Merckx so can you tell what you mean with “a more aggressive position”?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

Swooshby wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:18 pm
Or does a Bikefit result with the right size for any bike given your specific body and wish?
First, a bike fit is not a scientific process at all. The fitter uses their experience in making you more efficient and/or more comfortable ont he bike based on your goals. If you look at pros you see a wide variations on saddle height or how upright they are sitting.

That said, you could go see a fitter and have them do what they do on your current bike and see their suggestions. You could also tell them you are considering a Colnago 54S and get their opinion.

The other thing you can do is put your current frame into a calculator or spreadsheet. You put your frame angles and measurements in, your spacers, stem stack, stem length, stem angle, etc. The spreadsheet calculates total stack and reach with spacers and stem. Then right next to that you plug in the Colango 54S and see what the numbers tell you. You can play around adding spacers, taking away, changing stem length, angle, etc. The results will tell you how you could achieve your same position on a 54S (what spacers and stem you would need).

BTW, I'm 183cm and ride a 52S. I'm sort of between a 52S and 54S. I could fit myself to either. If they had a 53S it would probably be perfect for me. I think about getting a 54S next time so I can set it up without spacers. I don't run a giant drop so that would work for me. If I did run a big drop the 54S would not work or would require a negative degree stem at which point I think that would tell a person that that frame is probably too big.

AJS914

by AJS914

BTW, I used this bike fit calculator:

http://bb2stem.blogspot.com/

I used the downloadable version in Excel.

Swooshby

by Swooshby

I mean of course a more aero position. A lower bike I guess to start with adjusting the rest to more aero benefits (stem,spacers)?
My merckx is supposted to be an endurance bike with high headtube? I never go for more than 1-2 hour rides and like to have a more racy alternative to my Merckx..

Swooshby

by Swooshby

vinc wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:45 pm
Let’s look at stack and reach. Size L of the Merckx is 584 stack and 384 reach. Closest of the C60 is size 54s with 582 stack and 385 reach; a 3mm lower and 1 mm longer position of the stem. Not a huge difference with the Merckx so can you tell what you mean with “a more aggressive position”?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
I mean of course a more aero position. A lower bike I guess to start with adjusting the rest to more aero benefits (stem,spacers)?
My merckx is supposted to be an endurance bike with high headtube? I never go for more than 1-2 hour rides and like to have a more racy alternative to my Merckx..

scale29

by scale29

Swooshby wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:30 pm
scale29 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:38 pm
Hm ok...what´s your inseam?
809mm must be to the top of your saddle?
How do you feel on the bike compare to others in position?
Yes 809 to top to saddle, inside leg is 86.4 (34”)
I’m not sure what the rest of your question means??
I run a 120mm stem and have a 5mm spacer on top of the flat headset cap.

The 56s is equiv of a 60cm in other frames but I like the reach so would normally run a 58cm with a longer stem.

by Weenie