Buying Carbon frame/wheelset from china

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

polaxgr

by polaxgr

Will i die ?? I am sorry if this isnt the correct section for this and i am sorry that i bring up again this issue. I am guessing you have heard it a lot. But i cannot afford/or dont want to spend a fortune on a full carbon bike from a store ( and i dont like the way the "cheap" ones look like ). I dont care so much if they are as good as the ones from "original" brands or a bit worse. Well i do. But i mostly care if i dont die when and if the frame or carbon wheels break. I have read many opinions and events that have occured and i havent concluded if the risk is worth taking. So could i hear some advice or personal experience from people that bought from brands that have good reputation from china. For example i heard that Farsports make good carbon wheels and yoeleo and leadnovo good frames? Is this true ? Anyone had any of these? Please help if you can.

Marin

by Marin

Do a search

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

meh. There is a 3000 page thread about these counterfeits and junk.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

morganb

by morganb

If this is a concern buy a quality aluminum bike. Modern aluminum is really good and reasonably priced. Someone won the US championship on one this year.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Get it from dengfu/hongfu and confirm it will support your weight, done.

If you are a low cadence man or a sprinter you are going to put a lot of torque into the frame. For this purpose you might want to choose something more solid. Remember that chinese riders are on average lighter than western riders. Their most extreme frames don't need to be as beefed up as the frames aimed internationally.

Chinese roads can be pretty rough but often they are very smooth. Maybe compliance in the frame won't be to your liking. For this reason I think it's good to read some posts about what owners (similar weight/power) say and feel about the ride.

I only ride chinese frames and can't complain. Never had a failure. Some things could be better admittedly but they ride fine. I'm light at 60-65kg.

/a

savechief

by savechief

I have bought wheelsets from lightbicycle (23mm inner for my MTB, now being used with gravel tires on CX bike), Carbonfan (for road tires on CX bike) and BTLOS (26.5mm inner width for MTB), and I've been pleased with all of them.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

dj97223

by dj97223

polaxgr wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:08 pm
Will i die ??
Eventually, yes.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

velov

by velov

If you're paranoid why not just buy a used bike? You could easily get a high-end bike that's a few years old and still in decent condition for the same price as a Dengfu build.

2lo8

by 2lo8

Because there are people that sell crashed bikes and try to hide the damage.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

velov

by velov

2lo8 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:05 am
Because there are people that sell crashed bikes and try to hide the damage.
Of course there are, a bit of common sense is all that's needed to avoid getting scammed.

2lo8

by 2lo8

Given how hard it can be to find damage on a carbon frameset, it's really not as simple as just common sense, unless you think every seller is going to sit there while you tap every inch of the frame with a coin.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

polaxgr

by polaxgr

yes i know we will all die at some point. I just wanted to know..how much of a risk it is. Buying a chinese carbon frame that is. Thats all. Wheels i will buy for sure from Farsports

polaxgr

by polaxgr

alcatraz wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:50 pm
Get it from dengfu/hongfu and confirm it will support your weight, done.

If you are a low cadence man or a sprinter you are going to put a lot of torque into the frame. For this purpose you might want to choose something more solid. Remember that chinese riders are on average lighter than western riders. Their most extreme frames don't need to be as beefed up as the frames aimed internationally.

Chinese roads can be pretty rough but often they are very smooth. Maybe compliance in the frame won't be to your liking. For this reason I think it's good to read some posts about what owners (similar weight/power) say and feel about the ride.

I only ride chinese frames and can't complain. Never had a failure. Some things could be better admittedly but they ride fine. I'm light at 60-65kg.

/a
I am 76kg, and mostly i climb mountains. Roads in greece are smooth but sometimes not so much..

kidrob

by kidrob

210 page megathread https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 3&t=113717

And no, if you buy from "our" list of trusted sellers (and a non counterfeit) which you can find in the thread you won't die.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I live in china and ride (among other) a fake cervelo s5. It's probably softer than the original because I can sense the bb shell flexing a little but other than that it's brilliant. I've raced on it and I'm very happy with the result.

I realize it wasn't the point of the previous poster to say fake equals death but I just want to add that if you are light and don't ride like a mad man I think you can get away with a lot of dodgy frames and wonded what the fuss is about.

Is it a good idea for a low experience buyer to rush and buy a noname/fake frame. Most probably not. Just go with the trusted suppliers, verify your weight is supported and enjoy. Ride quality will depend on how well the frame was designed and built. It will become apparent after you start riding for 2/3/4/5 hours continuously.

I even prefer to buy 2nd hand rather than new because I like for someone else to do the test of time, preferably heavier than me.