Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Beaver

by Beaver

Sorry, I forgot to give an update here: It's an optical illusion (or meant to look this way on purpose...) - they use 2nd generation basalt-carbon brake tracks as well as the other open mold rims. Someone on Tour forum asked directly at Tokyowheels and was told, that the brake tracks are smooth, not textured.

kuniyokeiji

by kuniyokeiji

anyone here have experience in ordering yishun carbon rims for road disc?
comtemplating between yishun or LB for disc carbon rims

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Beaver wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:18 pm
Sorry, I forgot to give an update here: It's an optical illusion (or meant to look this way on purpose...) - they use 2nd generation basalt-carbon brake tracks as well as the other open mold rims. Someone on Tour forum asked directly at Tokyowheels and was told, that the brake tracks are smooth, not textured.

Thank you for the update, that photo sure is misleading, and I'd be really bummed to have ordered a set only to find this out when I opened the box! Unless they had a prototype that used that textured surface, but which didn't make it through to production, then it seems like they must have used an Envy photo as source material and then Photoshopped it into a representation of one of their rims. Hopefully leaving the textured track was an oversight or something as it would be doubly shady if they not only used an Envy pic but also were trying to mislead customers as to the nature of the product. In their defense, as I mentioned before, the product description makes no mention of texture, and the pics on the general product pages also all seem to show a flat brake track.

Beaver

by Beaver

kuniyokeiji wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:11 am
anyone here have experience in ordering yishun carbon rims for road disc?
comtemplating between yishun or LB for disc carbon rims
What dimensions do you want and asymetric or not?

LB has "true" disc rims without a brake track: https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... c-Rim.html and weights are very close to the ones stated.

Yishuns also became lighter but I don't know if the weights are real. I only ordered once and the rims where 20g heavier than the stated plus difference.

http://www.yishunbike.com/700c-rsd-road ... s_p62.html
http://www.yishunbike.com/700c-asd-road ... m_p61.html

And the new LB 23C rim is now ready to order: https://www.lightbicycle.com/Road-bicyc ... lable.html Weights for disc and non disc seem to be mixed up, though. ;)

Beaver

by Beaver

TheKaiser wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:37 pm
Beaver wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:18 pm

Thank you for the update, that photo sure is misleading, and I'd be really bummed to have ordered a set only to find this out when I opened the box! Unless they had a prototype that used that textured surface, but which didn't make it through to production, then it seems like they must have used an Envy photo as source material and then Photoshopped it into a representation of one of their rims. Hopefully leaving the textured track was an oversight or something as it would be doubly shady if they not only used an Envy pic but also were trying to mislead customers as to the nature of the product. In their defense, as I mentioned before, the product description makes no mention of texture, and the pics on the general product pages also all seem to show a flat brake track.
I also wouldn't want to presume fraud here, but they should replace this irritating picture...

So we still have to wait for a textured/laser processed open mold rim, it seems.

kuniyokeiji

by kuniyokeiji

more concerned about the build quality

emotive

by emotive

Light Bicycle have a textured rim brake track due for release in 2 months. Have a read through the comments at the bottom of this page. https://www.lightbicycle.com/Road-bicyc ... lable.html

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Just when i gave up rim brake on cheap carbon wheelset and accept weight penalty going disc rather than paying premium using Zipp or other expensive brands with textured brake track, LB is about to release textured brake track???

That's a killer feature right there compare to other Chinese rims.

emotive

by emotive

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:09 am
Just when i gave up rim brake on cheap carbon wheelset and accept weight penalty going disc
But at the same time, the weight penalty for road disc is dropping. Disc frames are getting closer to rim frame weights, and disc rims are getting lighter as they remove the brake track from the design. LB will have road flyweight designs later this year...

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

emotive wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:16 am
LB will have road flyweight designs later this year...
I want to chime in on this, as I feel somewhat responsible. Some time ago I've inquired about Flyweight version of RR46C02 in comments section at LB and got that exact same answer. Later, I mentioned this several times on WW. But in May when I pinged LB about the subject they backpedaled, here's some quotes:

>LB, Feb 18th 2018: For road rims flyweight version, it will be available around the late 2018 year.
>Me, Feb 18th 2018: The RM29C06 flyweight is lighter than a regular version by ~23%, will the difference for the road rims be in the same range?
>LB, Feb 23rd 2018: The road flyweight version, i think can not be 23% lighter. Because the structure is different. I will update you once the road rim weight is ready.
>Me, May 6th 2018: It's been several months since last reply, are there any more news about flyweight version of RR46C02 disc besides "late 2018 year" release date?
>LB, May 7th 2018: We have RR46C02 disc rims with lighter version now. Please check as below.
>Me, May 7th 2018: The rim page does not mention that it's a "flyweight" anywhere. Does the "lighter" version you speak of mean the "flyweight"? This is confusing, because if you check the older email history of this conversation, you clearly stated that a "flyweight" is expected to be released towards the end of 2018.
>LB, May 7th 2018: The website page is not flywegith version. For flyweight version, it is hard to make on road rims, the stiffness will not be not enough. When you pick disc version, it will be lighter. You can check on the rim weight below. We already tested a few light road rims this year, and finally we make it at 25g lighter. The strength is still good. Please check below link.

Feb 18th was already after the lightweight RR46C02 release. So unless you have a different, reliable source I advise to at least be skeptical about road flyweights, given the sometimes poor LB's communication. I wouldn't expect anything substantially lighter than current equivalent brand name companies. For example, MCFK 45mm deep, 26.5mm wide MCFK road disc rims are ~400g and I was able to order RR46C02, which is wider than that, at 422/424g. If you take claimed weight of Ax Lightness Ultra Disc 45C TLR wheelset at 1330g and deduct spokes/hubs/nipples the rims come out as ~448g, and those are narrower than RR46C02 too.

Beaver

by Beaver

Klaster1 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:56 am
I was able to order RR46C02, which is wider than that, at 422/424g.
:unbelievable: That is indeed already what I would expect from a flyweight version of the RR46C02 - my RR36C02 were around 440g... What did you do to receive such light rims?! :mrgreen: Or was it the Disc version? And if they were 400g and wouldn't last, nothing is gained. 420g is all right.

I also have NOX S36R (21C, 28x36mm) which are 410 and 420g and were far more expensive... The lightest 21C are 77composites RR41C with around 380g but the brake track doesn't last and they are only 26mm wide. Enve 3.4 21C are around 460g, so your LBs are really good. With a textured brake track, these would be perfect.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Beaver wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:39 am
What did you do to receive such light rims?! :mrgreen: Or was it the Disc version?
These are disc version indeed, I just asked LB to pick the lightest out of several batches, which only added several days extra.

Beaver

by Beaver

kuniyokeiji wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:13 pm
They are in the business for several years and offer a 110% money back guarantee - I think those shouldn't be complete junk. ;)

And they are even UCI approved. ;)
Last edited by Beaver on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beaver

by Beaver

Klaster1 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:44 am
Beaver wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:39 am
What did you do to receive such light rims?! :mrgreen: Or was it the Disc version?
These are disc version indeed, I just asked LB to pick the lightest out of several batches, which only added several days extra.
Ok, but at least more than 10g saved at each rim. ;) I curious for the textured brake track. And it's a pity they won't offer 21C with 30mm outside for best aerodynamics at the front - even if no one may notice it. ;) Just to know it's optimal. :mrgreen:

kuniyokeiji

by kuniyokeiji

Beaver wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:53 am
kuniyokeiji wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:13 pm
They are in the business for several years and offer a 110% money back guarantee - I think those shouldn't be complete junk. ;)

And they are even UCI approved. ;)
u mean the LB rims? so LB over yishun then?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com