I can't heat mold my Bont Vaypor S

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

Hi guys.

Today I got my new pair of Bont Vaypor S. I tried to heat mold them many times without succes. I used the recommended temperature (70º C) and the recommended time (20min) and I tried like 3 times already and I can't feel the shoes giving at all. I did it before with a pair of Lake's and worked like a charm... Any hints?

I can't ride them like they are out of the box. They kill my feet on the outer side. Also, I'm not sure they shipped me the right shoes, cause I measured the insole and its 9,3cm for a WIDE 46,5, and its less than a regular s-works. The shoe is around 10.5cm, Can you help me with that too? Do you have a pair of wide's in a similar size?
Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Their heat recomendation is conservative and ovens are notoriously inaccurate unless using a standalone thermometer to measure the oven temp.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

glepore wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:22 pm
Their heat recomendation is conservative and ovens are notoriously inaccurate unless using a standalone thermometer to measure the oven temp.
Mine is perfect. I work with the oven and I have a standalone thermometer, temperature is perfect...

Fiery

by Fiery

My Bonts needed a slightly higher temperature and some extra time to get pliable. I’d give it 80-ish degrees and keep them inside as long as necessary for the resin to soften.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

70 in my industrial kitchen ovens did nothing. Also, heat gun and a screwdriver end worked much better to push out tight points anyway

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

Thanks for you advice guys. I'll give it another go with a higher temp...

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Used hairdryer successfully.
Less is more.

sungod

by sungod

i had no luck with the oven at 70, monitored temperature with an accurate thermocouple probe, had to go much higher

instead i use a heatgun set to 100 (measured) at a distance it gets the material warm enough to mould - also allows woking on just one area, which the over method doesn't

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

Use the butt end of the screwdriver to push out the area that hurts your foot.

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

I did 25minutes with 80º still not able to mould them... I will try with hairdryer since i Dont Have a heat gun. How much time is advised and how much distance? I have an IR termomether, I can check the temp.

sungod

by sungod

with a heatgun , if it's got controllable temperature you can set it around 100 measured at the nozzle then start a few cm away, heat a wider area (few cm) than you need to mould

if it's a fixed temperature 'paint stripper' heatgun i'd avoid it, hairdryer would be safer

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

My friend is a distributor for Bont and even on my customs we molded them. If I recall properly he just used a hairdryer and it got things toasty.. the screwdriver or other solid object works good as well for stubborn spots to push em..

Wheever

by Wheever

With my Vaypor+, I had to work to find the right temp, even with a probe thermometer in the oven. My oven was pretty bad at keeping the right temp, first too low, then way too high. Took a couple of tries to get it "rough" shaped using the oven, then I ended up mostly using a hairdryer to get it right.

I used a cheap instant-read type thermometer with the tip probe taped with blue painter's tape to the area I was heating to make sure I didn't overshoot too much. I discovered that if you have your hand inside the shoe, touching the area you're trying to get hot, it's pretty much ready to mold when that starts to get uncomfortable.

Really, the secret to getting them to mold right is a good oven that holds temperature well, an external thermometer so you can monitor that the oven is right, a meat thermometer for finishing it off with a hairdrier, and PATIENCE. Lol.

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

ParisCarbon wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:09 pm
My friend is a distributor for Bont and even on my customs we molded them. If I recall properly he just used a hairdryer and it got things toasty.. the screwdriver or other solid object works good as well for stubborn spots to push em..
Got toasty? You mean they got burned? Im sorry, Im spanish and I don't understand everything perfect haha.

I managed to mold them a bit. 80º for 25minutes worked better than 70, but I need more room on the ball of the foot right next to the 1st metatharsal...

Do you blow with the hairdryer from outside the shoe? or from the inside?

jlok

by jlok

I got Vaypor+ 2016 and I simply trial and error the correct setting of my oven. First 70, then 80 and 90 for 20mins. Didn't use a thermometer tho just rely on the knobs of oven. Remember not to put downward pressure when you mold it. Sit and place your foot on carpet but don't stamp on it.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com