SRAM YAW FD shifting "slow"/not shifting under power

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mike001100

by mike001100

Ok, so after tinkering about with the low limit screw, I decided - "one last time" - to redo the whole thing.

So, I checked alignment, and indeed it was a tad off. I adjusted it twice and I believe it is as "spot on" as "makes no difference to perfect".

Shifting speed etc. is a non issue now. The FD will shift any/all gears instantly from small to big.

However, I am still loosing the chain on the inside. The FD does not throw the chain off, but it moves the chain too much inside and the chain stays on the ring, but remains "on the teeth" (i.e. not seated) instead of settling down between them.

Any ideas as to why this is? Even if I get the low limit screw rubbing the chain on the biggest gear at the back, the chain will still be shifted "onto the teeth" and then fall off...

JScycle

by JScycle

mike001100 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:17 am
Ok, so after tinkering about with the low limit screw, I decided - "one last time" - to redo the whole thing.

So, I checked alignment, and indeed it was a tad off. I adjusted it twice and I believe it is as "spot on" as "makes no difference to perfect".

Shifting speed etc. is a non issue now. The FD will shift any/all gears instantly from small to big.

However, I am still loosing the chain on the inside. The FD does not throw the chain off, but it moves the chain too much inside and the chain stays on the ring, but remains "on the teeth" (i.e. not seated) instead of settling down between them.

Any ideas as to why this is? Even if I get the low limit screw rubbing the chain on the biggest gear at the back, the chain will still be shifted "onto the teeth" and then fall off...
Is the chain, cassette and chainrings all brand new?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike001100

by mike001100

Chain - KMC X11 SL DLC
Crankset and rings - Cannondale Hollowgram SI 2016 version (came on the bike), approx 500 km on them on the previous Ultegra setup
Cassette - SRAM RED 11 - 25, NIB (bought online, but I don't really have a doubt about it being original and new)

Oh, one more thing - chain is one link too long, but I don't think this could be such an issue? I wanted to keep it safe if I wanted to run a 28 cassette out back...

JScycle

by JScycle

mike001100 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:46 am
Chain - KMC X11 SL DLC
Crankset and rings - Cannondale Hollowgram SI 2016 version (came on the bike), approx 500 km on them on the previous Ultegra setup
Cassette - SRAM RED 11 - 25, NIB (bought online, but I don't really have a doubt about it being original and new)

Oh, one more thing - chain is one link too long, but I don't think this could be such an issue? I wanted to keep it safe if I wanted to run a 28 cassette out back...
Are you setting the low limit screw without any cable tension?
This is usually done to prevent the cable tension acting as a limit if that makes sense

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Maybe you need a new inner chainring to try.

Also install a chaincatcher.

Possibly the chainring isn't mounted the right way. Maybe you can try and rotate it and see if the teeth better align with a chain coming down from the big ring.

Also remember that shifting under load isn't a wise thing to do on any drivetrain. Some can get away with it.

mike001100

by mike001100

JScycle wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:41 am
Are you setting the low limit screw without any cable tension?
This is usually done to prevent the cable tension acting as a limit if that makes sense
No, because I would do up the cable when the chain was in the large chainring.

I checked per your advice - i.e. I loosened the cable and it seems like I can push the derailleur further inboard by hand, it does however spring back once I take my hand off it (it's say 0.5 mm movement) and this is without any cable attached... If I can push it with my hand, then this may be what is happening when I downshift, i.e. it "bounces" further than to its normal position.

HOWEVER, if I adjust it so that I get slight chain rub when I am holding the FD inboard, then when I let go, I get lots of chain rub...