Q: How light is too light?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Imaking20

by Imaking20

A: 131 grams

At least now we know..

AZR3

by AZR3

Well that sucks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Yeah, finally glad the road is 14% in front of my house. This happened one pedal stroke from the driveway. Would have really sucked for this to happen out on the road..

AZR3

by AZR3

Guess I can give that a hard pass, was looking into one but I’ll take SRAM’s reliability over saving a few grams

FreaK

by FreaK

I'd be really curious to have looked at the failure surface right after it happened. I wonder to what degree there was a flaw in the manufacturing rather than design.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

FreaK wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 3:37 pm
I'd be really curious to have looked at the failure surface right after it happened. I wonder to what degree there was a flaw in the manufacturing rather than design.

IMO it’s a design weakness. The single alloy cog on the SRAM Red cassette interfaces directly with the freehub driver splines. The single-piece dome that makes up the rest of the cassette has its own interface as well. No matter what cog you’re in, it is directly driving the hub.

The two alloy cogs on the Rotor UNO cassette are riveted onto the steel dome and don’t have their own splined interfaces. This means all your pedaling torque is transferred through the rivets.

FreaK

by FreaK

Ooooh, that's an interesting engineering choice. The basic Shimano freewheels are now just a stack of riveted cogs driving one of the smaller cogs. So I guess it's not an absurd method, but it sure does demand properly sized and sufficient numbers of rivets.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Dura-Ace cassettes had carrier/rivet failures with alarming frequency actually. For some this would manifest as a squeak...for others the carriers would just self-destruct. There was even a silent update to the design that added additional rivets.

See this BR post: https://bikerumor.com/2014/06/06/shiman ... -creaking/

IMO the SRAM XG-1190 has the best overall design from a strength-to-weight standpoint. My only problem with it is the shape of the teeth on the smaller cogs making things a bit noisier.

tpmcman

by tpmcman

Omni-Lite TI stuff seems to work well for me. Find it on ebay all the time. rear cassette seems sturdy as Im 185 and romp on it. No problems after about 200 mi

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I just read Shimano's response to the re-design of the DA cassette. Too funny. Japanese's way of doing business is to never admit fault. DA's cassette problem is well documented and yet they refuse to take blame. I find the following line quite funny...yeah, a creak is not a noise, lol.
Nick Murdick Shimano Lead Technical Instructor wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:28 pm
Of course, if the joint between the carrier and the cog starts to fail it will make noise but that’s different from a creak.

wingguy

by wingguy

Ah to be fair that's not what he said though, is it? It's basic set theory - every creak is a noise but not every noise is a creak.

But yeah they do have a habit of sending out silent redesigns without publically stating there was ever a problem.

micky

by micky

Just out of curiosity, do you have a picture of the failure?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I've got a DA9k cassette as my backup now and it does have issues with creaking in certain cogs under higher load. Ordered another XG1190.

wingguy

by wingguy

So it's actually the steel dome itself that has failed rather than a connection between two seperate parts of the cassette?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Correct. The steel between two cogs sheared. Looking at it now in two pieces, that area is very, very thin - and frankly a stupid design. I think the steel cage needs to be thicker OR the rear of the cage should actually interface with the splines. As it is, only the front of the cassette actually engages on the splines and the rear floats - leaving the burden of strength completely on the steel cage. Which, obviously, is folly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com