Feedback on 3T Zero25 Seatpost

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

savechief

by savechief

Looking for somebody who has some first-hand experience with the 3T Zero25 seatpost. Any thoughts on the design overall? Is the clamping secure? Any problem areas you've come across? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DJT21

by DJT21

My gut instinct is "avoid, like the plague"

TheDano

by TheDano

I have a 3T Zero25 on my Allied Alfa, previously on my S-Works Tarmac. 9,000 miles in the 25mm set back position with a S-Works Toupe / carbon rails mounted and it has performed perfectly. Easy set up, easy adjustments, rock solid...it just plain works.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

It’s awful. Just got rid of mine, used in 25mm set back and any bumps would make the saddle angle slip. The clamp just doesn’t work IMO. I had it torqued way beyond spec, used friction paste and it would still slip. Also weighs a ton.

savechief

by savechief

TheDano wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:02 pm
it just plain works
Zakalwe wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:07 pm
It’s awful.
Come on, just need one more opinion to serve as the tie-breaker...

Thanks for the feedback. I'm most concerned about unintentional saddle angle changes since this will be used on a CX bike.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

CLEAR

by CLEAR

Stripped the mounting bolt within first 300km. To my memory, I think it was moving too as soon as the first ride. So it's a battle between tightening the single bolt and finally stripped. Saddle rail is regular 7mm round rail so it's pretty standard saddle.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

3T stuff is generally quite shit lately tbh. The bars I tried were a joke too

TheDano

by TheDano

Zakalwe wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:06 pm
Out of curiousity, how were the 3T bars you tried "a joke?"

If you bought the correct width and knew in advance what the reach, drop and bar shape was, I don't understand how 3T can be blamed. Unless of course it was a quality control issue?

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

I have a 3t ionic seatpost which is great. SImilar design to the zero25 although it has teeth on the barrel to allow exact angle adjustment of the saddle. It also means that the 2 clamp bolts are only responsible for adjusting fore/aft and dont also do the job of holding the saddle at the correct angle too.

The bars are good but the finish of them (is it paint?) is terrible and wears off quickly, as you will see throughout ebay and other classifieds

The zero25 looks ok but its main selling point is its adjustability between 2 quite different set ups. If it were me I'd rather try 2 cheap seatposts with different offsets and then buy a good quality one with the setback I need
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

TheDano wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:10 pm
Zakalwe wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:06 pm
Out of curiousity, how were the 3T bars you tried "a joke?"

If you bought the correct width and knew in advance what the reach, drop and bar shape was, I don't understand how 3T can be blamed. Unless of course it was a quality control issue?
The internal cable routing on the Ergonovas I had is terrible and forces your housings into acute angles, while the shape of the drops is too curved in the area where you mount the hoods. I couldn’t get them set where I wanted them without a painful bump of the shifter body standing proud under the bar tape.

They appear to have attempted to address the hood issue on their new bars by shaping a corner where you presumably butt the shifter body against, great if that’s exactly where everyone wants to mount their hoods.

I binned the lot and went back to Ritchey which has never given me any issues

TheDano

by TheDano

Fair enough. Thanks for your honest opinion. I've had really good luck with 3T product - including Ergonovos on two current bikes - although I do relate with your complaints about the internal cable routing. Thankfully I now ride eTap on both bikes, so it's only the brake cables that require some creative routing and the use of Jagwire Elite Link housing seems to have rectifed most issues. Cheers!

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Glad you got them to work out for you. Between the bars and the post I tried, my experience was one of badly thought through and executed design ideas. The number of Cervelos I've seen fall apart makes me wonder if the new ownership isn't to blame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com