Cannondale Hollowgram carbon wheels (rim brake version) - weight and details

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Haven't tried them either, still deep in winter here... but I intend to keep them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pipfugl

by Pipfugl

I just bought the rim version 2017 model.
I absolut love them. Leightweight and super stiff. I just miss reviews and info on them. Someone got any new info?

NewYorkNick

by NewYorkNick

Pipfugl wrote:I just bought the rim version 2017 model.
I absolut love them. Leightweight and super stiff. I just miss reviews and info on them. Someone got any new info?

Building a CAAD12 Disc and have a great opportunity to pick these up (disc version) at a great deal. Glad to see people are generally happy with them.

One question: does anyone know if the decals are easily removable? Are they behind some sort of clear coat? Or overtop of it? Call me shallow but the color I'm being offered won't work on my bike. But, if the decals can come off, then we're in business.

kedi

by kedi

Anyone have any updates on these wheels now that you all have had the opportunity to put in some more miles?

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

I'm pretty happy with my pair so far. Only cons: the inside cavity isn't very deep so when putting tires on and off, it's best to use tire levers, which I have never used before using these wheels. Also my rear hub has a lot of drag, I thought it might be due to new seals or packed grease when new but it hasn't loosened up, but I have not opened the hub to check if I have a bad bearing or something, the front hub is great, spins forever.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy. Stiffness is good, I have climbed (so went down) over 11000m in the past five days in the Pyrénées and the braking has been pretty good, especially for carbon rims (I use SwissStop Black Prince pads). I haven't really tested them in the wet so far, only little drizzles, so I can't comment yet about braking when wet.

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

Hey guys, I just built my new SSE (non-HM) Dura-ace yesterday and here are my thoughts on the Hollogram III wheelset. FYI: there is a sticker made in Taiwan, which is a good sing IMO.

The front wheel with an un-identified tube and Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm came in at 1064g w/o quick release. (700g wheel only with tape)
The rear weighs 1498g with the same tube/tire and an Ultegra cassette w/o quick release, (849g wheel only with tape)

Total wheelset weight with tape: 1549g

Honestly, for a 35mm carbon wheel with a ''narrow'' 24mm track, it's pretty heavy. The hubs are super chunky and I feel a lot of weight was gained there. My 50mm Chinese carbon clinchers (25mm wide) with GP 4000sii came in only 64g heavier. I feel the aero advantage would trump the 64g weight penalty.

Also, my biggest complaint would be the internal nipples. I thought about swapping the hubs but I am not sure I want to pay for a complete rebuild that will be much longer than with regular nipples.

Nothing on stiffness/feel for now but they are wonderfully built and true.

bikebrighton

by bikebrighton

I've just bought a front Hollowgram but I'm not expecting to get brake pads with it, anyone got any info on which specific carbon brake pads Cannondale recommend for use on these rims?

Cheers!

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

bikebrighton wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:41 am
I've just bought a front Hollowgram but I'm not expecting to get brake pads with it, anyone got any info on which specific carbon brake pads Cannondale recommend for use on these rims?

Cheers!
Any carbon specific brake pads are safe and approved by Cannondale... SwissStop Black Prince worked really well for me but my bike that shipped with these wheels came with Shimano carbon pads.

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

Anone know anything about the third-tier "Hollowgram" disc wheels that ship with the Synapse HM Dura Ace bike?
https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale- ... e-EV308134

They're not listed here alongside the SL or Si version (the third set is for caliper):
https://www.cannondale.com/en/Great%20B ... c80e04186a

The key difference seems to be they use "Double butted, stainless" spokes, rather than DT Swiss Aerolites as used on the SI and SL wheelsets.

sigma

by sigma

markgoldstein wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:45 pm
Anone know anything about the third-tier "Hollowgram" disc wheels that ship with the Synapse HM Dura Ace bike?

They're not listed here alongside the SL or Si version (the third set is for caliper):

The key difference seems to be they use "Double butted, stainless" spokes, rather than DT Swiss Aerolites as used on the SI and SL wheelsets.
I spoke to the Cannondale rep last night who also thought the hubs were quite different between these models but he is going to check. People out here (in Utah) have not been fans of the lower tier wheelset to put it mildly.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

sigma wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:51 pm
markgoldstein wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:45 pm

I spoke to the Cannondale rep last night who also thought the hubs were quite different between these models but he is going to check. People out here (in Utah) have not been fans of the lower tier wheelset to put it mildly.
Thanks for asking! Any info you can get would be greatly appreicated...

C36

by C36

Looking to order veloplugs for my tube-type wheels and I am missing spoke hole size of the hollowgram wheels on my second bike (on the other side of the ocean) would anyone know if red or yellow plugs have to be used?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

eforce123

by eforce123

I've heard only good things about them..

Verbal

by Verbal

C36 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:31 am
Looking to order veloplugs for my tube-type wheels and I am missing spoke hole size of the hollowgram wheels on my second bike (on the other side of the ocean) would anyone know if red or yellow plugs have to be used?

:up:
Have you find the answer?
Red or yellow veloplugs are ok for the hollowgram rim brake?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

Verbal wrote:
C36 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:31 am

:up:
Have you find the answer?
Red or yellow veloplugs are ok for the hollowgram rim brake?
No... wheels are still an ocean away from me