Bora ultra 35 wobble?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fluffandstuff

by fluffandstuff

Bought those wheels 3 weeks ago and have had around 550 miles on them, these wheels have been good so far. However today I noticed an obvious wobble/offset around 1mm-2mm, and I'm sure it was not the QR....
I found a similar post here from 1 year ago viewtopic.php?t=144420

Was wondering if anyone has encountered similar issues, and if there is anything I can do about it.......

(I'm 73kg so prob not because of my weight....)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Wobble and offset are completely different things. You might have to explain a bit better.
Are they out of true? Out of round? Loose hub?

More detail needed!

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Either you got play in the axle, or your rim is out of true.

Or in very rare cases... your brake track is damaged.

/a

jacobeh

by jacobeh

I have a pair of Ultra 50s that had some flex (~1mm) after 2-300kms - I won't call it wobble but it was enough that they touched the brakepads.

I called Campagnolo and they said it was likely play in the axle (as alcatraz also mentioned) which they said was normal on new wheels (what?). It turned out to be the case and was easily fixed by the LBS

fluffandstuff

by fluffandstuff

mattr wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:51 am
Wobble and offset are completely different things. You might have to explain a bit better.
Are they out of true? Out of round? Loose hub?

More detail needed!
Thanks it is exactly what alcatraz described "play in the axle"
alcatraz wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:13 am
Either you got play in the axle, or your rim is out of true.

Or in very rare cases... your brake track is damaged.

/a
Thanks I took my bike to LBS they tole me that is just "play in the axle", it is fairly common among new Bora wheels.

jacobeh wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:51 am
I have a pair of Ultra 50s that had some flex (~1mm) after 2-300kms - I won't call it wobble but it was enough that they touched the brakepads.

I called Campagnolo and they said it was likely play in the axle (as alcatraz also mentioned) which they said was normal on new wheels (what?). It turned out to be the case and was easily fixed by the LBS
Thanks LBS fixed it for me easily!

mattr

by mattr

fluffandstuff wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:40 am
Thanks it is exactly what alcatraz described "play in the axle"
So very much not offset then (or flex).
Glad you got it fixed. ANd that it was easy!

mattr

by mattr

jacobeh wrote:
which they said was normal on new wheels (what?).
Normal is probably a bit of an exaggeration on their part! Not unusual would be better ;) but trying to adjust the hub on a brand new, never ridden wheel with grease and settling to account for = not the easiest thing in the world. Fairly easy to leave it slightly too loose.
Which, TBH i'd prefer over the alternative (too tight, and broken).

As a very very rough example, with a normal distribution you might have ~5% which are either too tight (broken) and ~5% which are too loose (easiliy fixable).
Just by shifting your target torque on the axle (and nothing else) by that 5%, you move to having 10% too loose (which costs pennies to fix, and almsot never causes any damage) and your warranty for damaged by over tightening of the hub drops to zero.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have two sets of Bora wheels and I didn’t notice the bearings requiring adjustments. The factory set preload seems perfect. OTOH I have some wheels with Chris King hubs and they did require a couple adjustments before the bearings settled in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jacobeh

by jacobeh

mattr wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:13 am
jacobeh wrote:
which they said was normal on new wheels (what?).
Normal is probably a bit of an exaggeration on their part! Not unusual would be better ;) but trying to adjust the hub on a brand new, never ridden wheel with grease and settling to account for = not the easiest thing in the world. Fairly easy to leave it slightly too loose.
Which, TBH i'd prefer over the alternative (too tight, and broken).

As a very very rough example, with a normal distribution you might have ~5% which are either too tight (broken) and ~5% which are too loose (easiliy fixable).
Just by shifting your target torque on the axle (and nothing else) by that 5%, you move to having 10% too loose (which costs pennies to fix, and almsot never causes any damage) and your warranty for damaged by over tightening of the hub drops to zero.
When you put it that way it sounds fair enough! :wink: