Issue with 4iiii left side power meter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ODC

by ODC

In Belgium my dealer said that 4iiii stopped delivering power meters for a while because of huge software problems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

ODC wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:08 pm
In Belgium my dealer said that 4iiii stopped delivering power meters for a while because of huge software problems.
Not only Belgium, also Germany, UK etc. Their new podium dual is delayed to at least mid may :evil:

ChadStallion

by ChadStallion

Hmm but no solutions? :noidea: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Robius

by Robius

ChadStallion wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:26 am
Hmm but no solutions? :noidea: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Hello Chad, 4iiii support sent me some insturactions to solve this problem but none of them worked, I had the exact problem as you after 4 months of indoor use.

It's taking 2 to 3 days to get a reply everytime. It looks like this is going to be a slow process heh.
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

cjhfield

by cjhfield

I have the same calibration error 20 problem. I tried all the battery contact checks that support suggested but no luck. I would like to reinstall the firmware but as I am on the latest version the app does not give me the choice of that. I have waited a number of days for further instructions from 4iiii but no reply.

The left side 105 power meter is just over a year old. I bought it from Probikekit. I am in Australia. I am ot sure what my consumer rights are. Under Australian law an item of this value would still be covered under consumer protection warranty even though the manufacturer warranty had expired. Our legislation is a bit vague but things should last a reasonable time and 12 months would not be called reasonable. Apple fixed my out of warranty Macbook Pro free after 2 1/2 years for example. Probikekit I think are based in the UK - anyone know what UK consumer protection laws are? Its a Canadian company - what are Canada's laws like? And if a Canadian company sells to a UK distributor a product that is finally sold to Australia whose laws apply? (I am not really expecting an answer to that).

Chris

ChadStallion

by ChadStallion

Everyone,

Thank you very much for your replies and sharing your thoughts on the same problem I had. Indeed "had"...
I was very lucky actually, I might say:
First I called Canada to explain my problem, they sent me the pdf for fixing this problem (the same cjhfield received I guess). But I explained them that this is not the problem and therefore doesn't resolve it with these suggested solutions. I replied this to them in an e-mail last Thursday, never heard from them since...

The day afterwards I passed by a Garmin GPS shop close by my house and they gave me the contact details of the distributor of 4iii in the Benelux. I called them straight away and explained the problem. The very friendly and helpful correspondent just answered: well okay, I understand, I will send you a new one to your shop and you just replace it by the one you have right now. :o :shock:

Yesterday this unit arrived and it works like a charm. So by this way I want to thank the shop for getting me in touch with the distributor and off course the distributor itself for their brilliant customer service. It seems that 4iii-distributors know about this problem occuring and want to help where they can...

Hope you guys out there dealing with the same issue I had, can get an similar solution to this annoying problem.

greetings

Vegardo

by Vegardo

I just got this same issue this week. Any solution out there? It sometimes work when I do recalibrate after I have started my ride, calibrate via Edge 520. But before ride always gives me Error 20 even if bike is stationary.

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

rainerhq wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:28 am
I finally bought the 4iiii. One ride, all good, but...
My phone finds the 4iiii, but won´t connect via bluetooth. It asks PIN. 0000 and 1234 won´t work and because of that, 4iiii app also can´t find the PM.
Does it have to ask PIN or is something with my phone?
Garmin calibrates like it should.
I have the same problem.
Do you solve it ?
Thanks

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Yes. The problem was with the phone (Alcatel Shine). Its BT won´t connect with my car also.
With the other phone its OK.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

Vegardo

by Vegardo

I got reply from 4iiii support today and their solution seem to fix it for me. See attached screenshot for instructions.
Screenshot_20180614-164413.jpg
Screenshot_20180614-164655.jpg

Sock3t

by Sock3t

should I be concerned if I wanted to order one of these today?

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

Sock3t wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:00 pm
should I be concerned if I wanted to order one of these today?
I’ve had mine for 18 months without issue so can’t complain. Had a pioneer on another bike and the power values are very similar so no calibration or accuracy issues at all. I wouldn’t worry.

Grasschopper

by Grasschopper

Well my girlfriend just had this issue with her 4iiii unit. She has a Specialize Ruby with the Praxis cranks so I replaced the stock with the Zanthe 4iiii cranks which my LBS got me for a very good price. First 2-4 rides after which we went on vacation. Got on today for a ride and it wouldn't calibrate, same issue as the OP, Garmin error 20 (even though totally still and a 6-12 position) and wouldn't calibrate via the 4iiii app. Cadence works but unlike the OP no power reading sent to Garmin HU or 4iiii app. Well 1.5 hours into the ride it started pouring on us....and she says "hey I've got power readings now". This sucks for a couple reasons IMO: 1) means there's a bad connection in the PM 2) means the unit isn't water tight

Not overly happy at the moment but I"m going to try the above fix to see if it works.

Grasschopper

by Grasschopper

And quick follow up, 4iiii customer service is VERY responsive. It hit me that they are based in western Canada so I figured I'd give them a call...and they are sending me a new unit.

So: 1) sucks that it failed so soon 2) 4iiii CS is awesome

Meuble

by Meuble

Error "20".

Constant Error "20" on Garmin 810 when trying to calibrate.

Used phone to try instead got constant error and couldn't do a "Zero offset".

Gave up after about 20 attempts.

Followed 4iiii instructions as previously posted here which I also received from 4iiii in an email, no luck problem persisted. Unit returned by mail to the retailer and hopefully replacement unit to follow.... Couldn't have acted up at a worse time, just when I needed it most.

Mine : 4iiii 105 single side (L) Power meter approx 6 months usage both indoors and out, mostly dry miles......

I wonder if the problem is limited the the 105 model....... I also am trying to figure out if this is a hardware or software issue.... ? Perplexed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com