Sagan's bike at Paris Roubaix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

darnellrm wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:22 pm
How do you think that tubeless would in any way be superior to tubulars? I'm drawing a blank on that one.
1) Flat prevention.
2) I can run 50psi on 28mm.
3) Tubeless is 5W faster (2 tires) according to Campagnolo.
4) I will take an additional 5W over 300g weight savings every single time, unless I want to go slower.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ms6073 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:43 pm
RyanH wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:21 pm
He seemed to be reaching for what I thought was his head unit coming in and out of the cobbled sectors, but that could have been him using the lockout feature.
He is definitely tightening the steer tube stem clamp bolts in this image:

Yes he is there, but there are other shots of Specialized riders reaching for the dial throughout the race.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

darnellrm

by darnellrm

1) You have much less chance of pinch flats with tubulars and you can still run sealant.
2) You can run even less pressure with tubulars because of #1. Cyclocross racers often run less than 20psi with tubular wheels.
3) That is a VERY broad claim and I doubt there would be that half that much difference comparing the best tubeless tires on the market with the very worst tubulars that were on the line at Rubaix. Please share a link to a scientific study.
4) Based on falisy in #3

FWIW

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:47 pm
darnellrm wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:22 pm
How do you think that tubeless would in any way be superior to tubulars? I'm drawing a blank on that one.
1) Flat prevention.
2) I can run 50psi on 28mm.
3) Tubeless is 5W faster (2 tires) according to Campagnolo.
4) I will take an additional 5W over 300g weight savings every single time, unless I want to go slower.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

1) Citation needed. Clearly a lot of riders were flatting yesterday. If you add sealant to a tubular, you are adding 20-30g per tire and further tipping the scales in favor of tubeless.
2) I’d like to see you run 20psi on 28mm tubulars and ride P-R. Don’t be daft.
3) It’s not a broad claim, it’s simple watts/kg. A higher weight and higher w/kg is ALWAYS faster.
4) You’re clearly arguing belief rather than science. Is the altar of tubulars really the platform you want to die on? I know this is weight weenies, but at some point reality has to sink in. Tubulars are inferior.

“We’ve seen it more and more from tire and wheel producers, but Campagnolo has again confirmed that tubeless is the clear winner in decreasing rolling resistance and the obvious way forward. They tested tire rolling resistance with tubulars, with tubes, and tubeless with the five leading 25mm race tires on the market, and averaged the resistance for each at the same pressures.

Tubulars were the worst with a coefficient of rolling resistance of 0.002987, equivalent to 30W of resistance at 40kph for an 87kg rider+bike system. Tires with tubes came in next at a coefficient of rolling resistance of 0.002852, slightly better at 28W of rolling resistance for the same speed and system weight. But tubeless topped both with a coefficient of rolling resistance of 0.002650, the most efficient setup equivalent to 25W watts of rolling resistance.“

jorisee01

by jorisee01

TobinHatesYou wrote: 3) It’s not a broad claim, it’s simple watts/kg. A higher weight and higher w/kg is ALWAYS faster.
I'm confused.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

darnellrm

by darnellrm

Does anyone on the planet run tubeless without sealant? Is that even possible?

You are grasping at straws....

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:20 pm
1) Citation needed. Clearly a lot of riders were flatting yesterday. If you add sealant to a tubular, you are adding 20-30g per tire and further tipping the scales in favor of tubeless.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

darnellrm wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:44 pm
Does anyone on the planet run tubeless without sealant? Is that even possible?

You are grasping at straws....

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:20 pm
Campy’s rolling resistance tests were run with sealant. Their tubular results did not include sealant. What do you think happens when you add sealant to the tubular tests? They fall even farther behind.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jorisee01 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:39 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote: 3) It’s not a broad claim, it’s simple watts/kg. A higher weight and higher w/kg is ALWAYS faster.
I'm confused.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What are you so confused about? A 65kg rider putting out 5w/kg is faster than a 60kg rider putting out 5w/kg under ALL circumstances. Using Campy’s example. +5w is an additional 1.7% over 300w. +300g is .4% of say 75kg. If you gain 5w and 300g at pretty typical power outputs, you increase your w/kg. The only way this isn’t true is if you are a superhuman child that weighs maybe 30kg and puts out monster watts.

Come on weight weenies, this is pretty basic stuff.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^ drop the mic, leave the podium.
Boom!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MRM

by MRM

Because tubs and rim brakes are better for pro's, doesn't mean they are better (or worse) for the common man.

glepore

by glepore

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:49 pm
ms6073 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:43 pm
RyanH wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:21 pm
He seemed to be reaching for what I thought was his head unit coming in and out of the cobbled sectors, but that could have been him using the lockout feature.
He is definitely tightening the steer tube stem clamp bolts in this image:

Yes he is there, but there are other shots of Specialized riders reaching for the dial throughout the race.
The switch for the Roubaix's motor is integrated into the stembolt assembly.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

In that case manufacturers should just make for the common man and not for the pros...
I can’t imagine what our bikes will look like without the pros...

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

ome rodriguez wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:54 am
In that case manufacturers should just make for the common man and not for the pros...
I can’t imagine what our bikes will look like without the pros...
This:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ome rodriguez wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:56 pm
Top 3 bikes in PR are on rim brakes and tubulars.
And 3 of the top 8 were disc. It would have been pretty disheartening if Sagan or Dillier flatted in the final 30km. In fact for team results you could argue that Trek-Segafredo and EF Education First - Drapac presented by Cannondale did very well compared to the likes of BMC and Bahrain-Merida who saw a ton of DNFs.

Three WT teams and 2 Pro Conti teams went disc for P-R and that’s just the start of things to come.

My question is do you think Campy’s and everyone else’s numbers are fake? Do you really think tubulars are faster when basic math says they are 5w alone at 40km/h?

Also before you claim 40km/h sustained is unrealistic going up hills, the plot is linear. So even at 20km/h tubeless has a 2.5w advantage. In order to nullify 2.5w up a hill with weight, you need about 750g extra. That’s about 3x the weight penalty for a tubeless set-up.

Seriously, the argument for tubular is anti-intellectual, anti-reason. It’s the cycling equivalent of denying climate change.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com