Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:42 am
Shrike wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:38 am
Rarely surprised by anything much in cycling tech but Campag being first out with a road 12 speed?

Kudos 8)

Reminder that Campagnolo was first to 11-speed...
Yes, fair point. Should maybe give them more credit :P

2lo8

by 2lo8

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Shrike wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:38 am
Rarely surprised by anything much in cycling tech but Campag being first out with a road 12 speed?

Kudos 8)

And the first to 10-speed
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

Well kudos for keeping this under wraps Campagnolo...
12 speed was never on my must have list but since no new wheels are required I’m happy to try it.

Yay to no more skeleton brakes that rubbed me up the wrong way.........(see what I did there?)

Like the new shifters and again yay for reach adjustment.......

Negatives.......the graphics look cheap at first viewing, maybe I’ll get used to them. Really don’t see much point in Offering two group sets where really the only difference is a few aesthetic changes. Should have incorporated a quick link chain joining method as I see the pin peening as low tech,old fashioned, expensive never mind that it maybe good engineering.
The chainset though?.......eeewwww.......first pass is not feeling it.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

New freehubs were never going to be part of the equation. With disc brakes on 135mm spacing, bracing angles are at the lower limit. Now if Campy wants to bump down to 10t or 9t cogs, they might need their own version of XDr, but widths still won’t change.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Yes, but it was rubbish. It barely worked in 2009, and only with refinements (near rear mech) did it begin to work properly a year later.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

What, no more tubular Boras???? :evil: :evil: :evil: At least, if they moved to carbon clinchers, they should have committed all the sins one day and offered the new Boras for disc brakes then.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Only for the two new sizes under the WTO label, and one is a front wheel only

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mrlobber wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:14 am
What, no more tubular Boras???? :evil: :evil: :evil: At least, if they moved to carbon clinchers, they should have committed all the sins one day and offered the new Boras for disc brakes then.
They have.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I meant no new ones in the future, which this release implies to a degree, especially the part of "tubulars are slow".
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

g00se

by g00se

mrlobber wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:39 am
I meant no new ones in the future, which this release implies to a degree, especially the part of "tubulars are slow".
I'm sure if the race teams want them, they'll make them. Most world pro teams are sponsored by or choose Shimano now, so I would doubt they'd do something that would risk alienating the others.

jlok

by jlok

Those are leaning more towards TT applications. Seeking the lowest drag and rolling resistance makes sense. Campy actually not antique/traditionalist and is willing to face the reality to move forward. Good job. I think Campy should still make Bora 35 or 50 tubular to please WW crowd and race use.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mrlobber wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:14 am

The disc versions will come when they announce the shallower rim depths. They’ll be wider too.

c60rider

by c60rider

RTW wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:08 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Yes, but it was rubbish. It barely worked in 2009, and only with refinements (near rear mech) did it begin to work properly a year later.
Bought super record when it first came out and still works as smoothly and slick as it did when new 9 years ago. The latest super record on my newest bike is only fractionally better and the sensitive front mech is a pain to get right.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Bulky chainset for sure. Record no longr has hollow crank arms, so, technically the new record is a chorus.

The brakes are very heavy. In fact, post-2011 centaur dual pivots were 310 grams in pairs, and even sram Rival weighs below 300 grams for fraction of a price.

The rear derailer for the record is incredibly bulky. Even 10spd chorus rears came out around 190 grams.

This is a bit disappointment. It looks like record have been degraded to chorus.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

5.15mm between outer plates vs 5.25mm for SRAM Eagle.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com