Better bike for endurance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

moonoi

by moonoi

I don't know why you think the Allez Sprint is only good for crits, I had one and an S-Works Tarmac SL4, both the same size (58), and I found the Allez to be the better bike and have taxed it comfortably over 160+km, and to put in context, I'm not exactly small (187cm/105Kg).

It might be that the bike you were sold is too small, but in addition to the suggestion of flipping the stem, try the S-Works Aerofly +25mm handlebars. It'll give you the more upright position you are looking for, without a massive outlay.

Some pics to give you an idea

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TLN

by TLN

I got Allez Spring in 61cm and find it "okay" with Turbo 26c tires (on roval CL64's they're 28-29mm wide).
I'm doing 50-60 rides after work - takes me 2 hours, and i'm pretty comfortable with it. I got Tarmac Sworks SL5 disc and I'm not sure if I want to keep it. It's way too much for me honestly.
Attachments
IMG_20170729_163600672.jpg
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

wingguy

by wingguy

otoman wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:03 am
To summarize, you got a frame that is likely too small with an ass hatchet for a saddle stocked with a 70mm stem. I’m shaking my head as that is exactly the kind of bike shop disservice that turns bikes into expensive clothes drying racks.
I don't know about that. Look at the picture in the original post. That's absolutely not a 70mm stem, it's not the saddle height of someone who's 5'9" and it's not a crap saddle either.

I'm starting to think there's more than a whiff of trollage going on here...

themidge

by themidge

wingguy wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:52 am
That's absolutely not a 70mm stem...
Yup, it's definitely not a 70mm stem. I have an 80 sitting in my parts bin and it looks a lot shorter than the one in the OP, I'd guess at his being 100mm.
wingguy wrote:...it's not the saddle height of someone who's 5'9"...
I don't see why it can't be, my saddle looks like this:
(and from the OP's photo angle):
I'm 5'6'', saddle hight ~73cm, so his being a bit higher doesn't seem too weird, though I would say from looking at the pictures of the OP riding, his foot looks a little pointed :noidea: .

Before you tell me my saddle is too high, I have quite long legs and arms.

wingguy wrote:I'm starting to think there's more than a whiff of trollage going on here...
Well, who can say :P .

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

themidge wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:33 pm
Also felt like when pedaling it was able to be done just felt like I could've been farther back on the seat maybe. I plan on getting fitted again when I have the time. Place near work uses cameras etc and takes about 2 hrs.
Don't spend loads of money (and time) on getting a bike fit just because of that one thing. Experiment, see what works and what doesn't, you'll quickly find your way, as it were.

General point:
I wish people would stop preaching about bike fits as if they're some kind of magic thing that everyone must
have in order to be truly comfy on a bike. As above, there's no harm in experimenting with different things, and its really not that hard to change a stem or adjust a saddle.
@themidge: How old are you?... like 15 or something? I think I may have read you wrote that somewhere?
Yet your post is probably the best advice in the entire thread.
To the OP... listen to your body. You say it feels like you could maybe be farther back. Experiment. Yourself. That’s the best way to learn about your own fit. You don’t have to wait to see a “fitter” to do what your body is telling you it wants to try.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wingguy

by wingguy

themidge wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:23 am
Sure, but that’s not a 54cm bike
Well... I’m 5’8” and my 74.8 saddle height is already abnormally high by quite a distance. So... maybe you should have it double checked at least :wink:

dricked

by dricked

Calnago wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:41 pm
themidge wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
Also felt like when pedaling it was able to be done just felt like I could've been farther back on the seat maybe. I plan on getting fitted again when I have the time. Place near work uses cameras etc and takes about 2 hrs.
Don't spend loads of money (and time) on getting a bike fit just because of that one thing. Experiment, see what works and what doesn't, you'll quickly find your way, as it were.

General point:
I wish people would stop preaching about bike fits as if they're some kind of magic thing that everyone must
have in order to be truly comfy on a bike. As above, there's no harm in experimenting with different things, and its really not that hard to change a stem or adjust a saddle.
@themidge: How old are you?... like 15 or something? I think I may have read you wrote that somewhere?
Yet your post is probably the best advice in the entire thread.
To the OP... listen to your body. You say it feels like you could maybe be farther back. Experiment. Yourself. That’s the best way to learn about your own fit. You don’t have to wait to see a “fitter” to do what your body is telling you it wants to try.
As a newer rider myself I would agree that you do need to listen to your body and don’t be afraid to make some changes, however, if you’re not sure of what a proper fitting bike is, it’s a good idea to get a basic fit done (sounds like OP has) and tweak it from there IMO.

OP, you said you don’t want to spend much money on an indoor trainer but you were ready to drop big money on a new bike? It’s very easy to come home and jump on the trainer and get some good quality time in. Also, it’s easy to help get your bike setup and feel the changes without having to flip your stem or move spacers around while roadside. A half decent trainer setup is worth the money and it’ll help you pack on the miles that may otherwise be hard to come by. I’m looking foreword to riding outdoors when the weather is better but I’ve been able to ride all winter because I spent a few hundred on a smart trainer that’s engaging and I WANT to ride it.

AJS914

by AJS914

He said he did have a fit. It sounds like he shouldn't mess with it because he doesn't know what he's doing. If he has little pains, he should go back to his fitter for some free advice.

Usually these little pains go away with more mileage and saddle time. It's hard to tell if a racing saddle isn't working for you if your butt isn't conditioned for some time in the saddle. He hasn't done much more than a 20 mile ride. It still seems like he needs saddle time, base miles, and experience more than anything.

themidge

by themidge

wingguy wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:10 pm
themidge wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:23 am
Sure, but that’s not a 54cm bike
Actually it is, sort of. It's a 'small' which according to bike comparator (which is really good BTW) it equates to a roughly 54cm size. Dunno about the OP's though.
winguy wrote:
themidge wrote:
Well... I’m 5’8” and my 74.8 saddle height is already abnormally high by quite a distance. So... maybe you should have it double checked at least :wink:
Perhaps, but my point was more that the OP doesn't look to have a drastically unusual saddle height, he's taller than us both.

@Calnago: 16 actually, but thank you :D .
I'm probably not the best person to ask about bike fitting as I haven't ridden very many bikes, and as I'm young I suppose my body doesn't mind being in slightly the wrong position for a bit.
Last edited by themidge on Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morrisond

by morrisond

07stuntin6r wrote:
Correct, I went for a ride today for an hour. It wasn't too uncomfortable. I did notice when I was in the drops my groin hurt more which I believe was due to the seat not having a bigger channel... could be wrong. Also felt like when pedaling it was able to be done just felt like I could've been farther back on the seat maybe. I plan on getting fitted again when I have the time. Place near work uses cameras etc and takes about 2 hrs. Any recommendations on decent seat with a nice channel or maybe one with a sloped nose would be better. I've looked at the fabric ones which seem like a good but same as the prologo scratch or a specialized power seat.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Try tilting your saddle slightly forward and when you are going for long rides don't worry about being in the drops - the Style Police won't pull you over.

Have the tools with you to adjust as you ride and you will find the perfect setting.

Oh and again - flip the stem until you can do long distances.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Well I'm going what I found online dir my model and what stem it comes with. My inseam is 32/33" if that helps clear things up. And also on my crit race I got tired installed on some used rims. I believe they are 22's...

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

What do you mean by too much in regards to the tarmac?

dim

by dim

07stuntin6r wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:04 pm
Here's a photo of Me trying to figure out where everyone is.

Disregard the goofy face
ImageImage

bike looks good .... but you don't :)

perhaps you are uncomfortable on the longer rides, as your core strength is perhaps weak? .... do lots of miles, lots of hills (if you have them in your area), long weekend rides, eat proper and loose weight

I looked similar to you when I started cycling 2 1/2 years ago .... I really struggled (even on the shorter rides), but I kept plugging away.... I've lost 66 pounds (30Kg), cycled 14,449.0 km last year (9000 miles), and I'm only just getting started .... I'm hoping to do a lot more miles this year, and have taken a keen interest for long Audax rides .... I'm hoping to do Paris Brest Paris next year

as long as you are keen, you will do OK as long as you keep on working at it

Bike fit is very important (especially for longer rides) ..... even if the handlebars are 20mm too wide, you will start getting numb hands after 50 miles .... wrong saddle, and after 30 miles you will end up standing and pedalling even on the flats ....
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

dim wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:04 pm
Here's a photo of Me trying to figure out where everyone is.

Disregard the goofy face
ImageImage

bike looks good .... but you don't :)

perhaps you are uncomfortable on the longer rides, as your core strength is perhaps weak? .... do lots of miles, lots of hills (if you have them in your area), long weekend rides, eat proper and loose weight

I looked similar to you when I started cycling 2 1/2 years ago .... I really struggled (even on the shorter rides), but I kept plugging away.... I've lost 66 pounds (30Kg), cycled 14,449.0 km last year (9000 miles), and I'm only just getting started .... I'm hoping to do a lot more miles this year, and have taken a keen interest for long Audax rides .... I'm hoping to do Paris Brest Paris next year

as long as you are keen, you will do OK as long as you keep on working at it

Bike fit is very important (especially for longer rides) ..... even if the handlebars are 20mm too wide, you will start getting numb hands after 50 miles .... wrong saddle, and after 30 miles you will end up standing and pedalling even on the flats ....
Right I understand I don't have a cyclists body and being slim, but my core strength is good. I'm just a weightlifter and deadlift 455 squat 365, hanging leglifts. I do have e lovehandles as you can see. Shirt definitely accentuates that for sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jih

by jih

Might be better with a pic from the side showing you in your normal riding position.

Have you thought that a 50 mile might be easier if you stop at 25 miles for a coffee rather than going straight through?