Better bike for endurance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

bremerradkurier wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:59 pm
bremerradkurier wrote:If you want to get leaner and meaner while not starving, a ketogenic diet high in fat and low in carbs might work for you.

I'm 5'10 and went from 205 to 170 during last year's riding season and after a short adaption time was able to do 40-50 mile group rides with 900 meters of elevation at a 16-17 mph after a bacon and egg breakfast with coconut oil and heavy cream laced coffee drinking nothing but water on the ride.
I've tried keto....I love my rice and breads. Something about eating fat just seems odd and doesn't feel right lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I switched to cauliflower rice and cut way back on bread, which is tough as my German wife bakes awesome whole grain bread with pumpkin and sunflower seeds in it, so I'll just eat a slice or two as a sponge for Kerrygold butter.
I've grown up eating rice with almost every dosh it seems. Tried cauliflower just does t so the trick.

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

07stuntin6r wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:59 pm
bremerradkurier wrote:If you want to get leaner and meaner while not starving, a ketogenic diet high in fat and low in carbs might work for you.

I'm 5'10 and went from 205 to 170 during last year's riding season and after a short adaption time was able to do 40-50 mile group rides with 900 meters of elevation at a 16-17 mph after a bacon and egg breakfast with coconut oil and heavy cream laced coffee drinking nothing but water on the ride.
I've tried keto....I love my rice and breads. Something about eating fat just seems odd and doesn't feel right lol.

do not listen to this Keto garbage. It is not not sustainable and destroys your organs.

If you are serious about losing weight, go high carb plant based vegan and make sure you eat a shit ton of fibre. It is literally impossible to gain weight on this diet plus you will have amazing energy to actually cycle. Rice is your friend, potatoes are your friend, just stay away from fats and processed sugar

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

bremerradkurier wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:49 pm
If you want to get leaner and meaner while not starving, a ketogenic diet high in fat and low in carbs might work for you.

you are literally throwing away any sort of performance gains and your work outs and setting yourself up for a heart attack doing that.

dricked

by dricked

Spend the money on a smart trainer instead of a new bike, it’ll be more beneficial in the long run.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

07stuntin6r wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:08 pm
waltthizzney wrote:dude, your fat and out of shape. stop worrying about gear and just go ride as much and as long as you can.
Haha out of shape I doubt that. Maybe not in a cyclist body shape with no upper body strength at all. Must be out of shape after I spent a week in Washington hiking the mountains with snow shoes for 8-10hrs a day for a week.
All due respect, but you are falling into the same trap I fell into.
I used to commute everywhere and ride mountain bike 4 or 5 days a week. I thought I was totally in shape. That was until I bought a road bike and got doing Strava segments, using training peaks and really started pushing myself, then I realized riding up mountain passes and holding 300 watts for an hour was a different level of fitness.

I'm sure compared to the regular Joe you are in shape, and you are strong, but you just don't understand the level of cardio you need to be a strong road cyclist.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Keto, as a short term method for weight-loss is very effective, but to do it for a long term could cause damage that hasn't even been researched. A vegan diet is very healthy, but for most people a simple nutritious calorie controlled diet with avoidance of processed food is the most effective method for weight loss.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

waltthizzney wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:01 pm
bremerradkurier wrote:
If you want to get leaner and meaner while not starving, a ketogenic diet high in fat and low in carbs might work for you.

you are literally throwing away any sort of performance gains and your work outs and setting yourself up for a heart attack doing that.
50 y.o. and my threshold HR went from 168 to 173 last year according to my Training Peaks profile.

Almost feel like I have more energy reserves now than I did in my 20s when I weighed 150 lbs doing 300 miles a week as a bike messenger and another 70-80 road bike miles on weekends on a high carb low fat diet.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

bremerradkurier wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:22 pm
waltthizzney wrote:
bremerradkurier wrote:

50 y.o. and my threshold HR went from 168 to 173 last year according to my Training Peaks profile.

Almost feel like I have more energy reserves now than I did in my 20s when I weighed 150 lbs doing 300 miles a week as a bike messenger and another 70-80 road bike miles on weekends on a high carb low fat diet.
That's just a personal anecdote. It doesn't really prove anything, you need to look at tens or hundreds of studies to really try to understand nutrition, and there's highly qualified professors, nutritionists and doctors specializing in nutrition that utterly disagree with each other, so as non-experts we need to read between the lines and take everything with a grain of salt. Draw some venn diagrams and where they overlap is the safest bet. Following a popular fads that don't have long term hard data is dangerous. The internet is full of people shouting 'I lost weight and feel great because I.......' only ate bananas/ate raw vegan/ate keto/only ate potatoes etc etc

Also I don't think upping a heart rate threshold means anything at all, just that it was wrong before.

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

bremerradkurier wrote:
waltthizzney wrote:
bremerradkurier wrote:

quit lying to yourself. your body runs on carbs. you are gonna give yourself a heart attack on a keto diet. your body runs on carbs, every athlete runs on carbs

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Noctiluxx wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:03 am
Get a red bike to make you go faster and a pink to make you last longer.
Are you saying a pink bike would make him less excited.... Bwahaha:D!
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

waltthizzney wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:59 pm
do not listen to this Keto garbage. It is not not sustainable and destroys your organs.
Can you provide some citations for your claims? And I don't mean a link to Durianrider's Youtube channel. I also don't mean a link to a "doctor's" website where some guy with no background in clinicial research is using his labcoat to get people to think he knows something about nutrition, when really he just likes animals or thinks veganism will save the planet. There are an equal number of doctors who will tell you that going keto, or at the very least low carb/high fat, is the best diet solution.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Lewn777 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:21 pm
bremerradkurier wrote:

That's just a personal anecdote. It doesn't really prove anything, you need to look at tens or hundreds of studies to really try to understand nutrition, and there's highly qualified professors, nutritionists and doctors specializing in nutrition that utterly disagree with each other, so as non-experts we need to read between the lines and take everything with a grain of salt. Draw some venn diagrams and where they overlap is the safest bet. Following a popular fads that don't have long term hard data is dangerous. The internet is full of people shouting 'I lost weight and feel great because I.......' only ate bananas/ate raw vegan/ate keto/only ate potatoes etc etc
That is wonderful that you recognize that there is a huge amount of disagreement amongst the supposed "experts" in the field of nutrition. Most of the truly reputable ones will only make highly qualified statements and acknowledge the high degree of uncertainty and variability in the study results. The ones who toute a clear cut "best diet" seem to usually have alterior motives, either pushing a social agenda, or simply trying to sell books. They have a vested interest in thier stance being correct, which makes them ineffective as scientists and highly compromised as interpreters of others research. I also like your suggestion to see where there is overlap amongst dietary suggestions is a good one and shooting for something that most agree upon, like avoiding processed foods, refined sugars, etc...is a great way to go.

Having said that, I don't think bremerradkurier was trying to say he has proven some nutritional truth that has eluded the world's experts. He simply said he lost 35 MFing pounds and feels like he has more engergy at 50 y.o. than he had in his 20s. He also said he can ride for several hours with his group with nothing but water in the bottle, and he suggested a similar diet "might" work for someone else with similar goals. I know plenty of 50 y.o. guys who's weight has plateaued at "skinny fat" and seem to need a constant glucose drip from their various refined "energy products" to complete a similar length ride, so in my book bemerradkurier is doing pretty damn well compared to the bulk of the populace. There isn't long term statistically significant clinical research on a hell of a lot of things that we all do on a daily basis, including large amounts of aerobic activity, which is increasinly looking like it can trigger heart problems. For observational data, the Inuit and the Sami have been keto for 1000+ years, and in the modern era people have been following Atkins type diets since the early 70's. That's as much longitudinal data as is likely to exist in any of our lifetimes.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Umm-thanks TheKaiser for defending me against vegansplaining.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

TheKaiser wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:13 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:21 pm
bremerradkurier wrote:

That is wonderful that you recognize that there is a huge amount of disagreement amongst the supposed "experts" in the field of nutrition. Most of the truly reputable ones will only make highly qualified statements and acknowledge the high degree of uncertainty and variability in the study results. The ones who toute a clear cut "best diet" seem to usually have alterior motives, either pushing a social agenda, or simply trying to sell books. They have a vested interest in thier stance being correct, which makes them ineffective as scientists and highly compromised as interpreters of others research. I also like your suggestion to see where there is overlap amongst dietary suggestions is a good one and shooting for something that most agree upon, like avoiding processed foods, refined sugars, etc...is a great way to go.

Having said that, I don't think bremerradkurier was trying to say he has proven some nutritional truth that has eluded the world's experts. He simply said he lost 35 MFing pounds and feels like he has more engergy at 50 y.o. than he had in his 20s. He also said he can ride for several hours with his group with nothing but water in the bottle, and he suggested a similar diet "might" work for someone else with similar goals. I know plenty of 50 y.o. guys who's weight has plateaued at "skinny fat" and seem to need a constant glucose drip from their various refined "energy products" to complete a similar length ride, so in my book bemerradkurier is doing pretty damn well compared to the bulk of the populace. There isn't long term statistically significant clinical research on a hell of a lot of things that we all do on a daily basis, including large amounts of aerobic activity, which is increasinly looking like it can trigger heart problems. For observational data, the Inuit and the Sami have been keto for 1000+ years, and in the modern era people have been following Atkins type diets since the early 70's. That's as much longitudinal data as is likely to exist in any of our lifetimes.
I really don't understand your point. You agree with me that where these various diets overlap is the best bet, like avoiding processed food and refined sugars, yet in the next paragraph herald the wondrous abilities of a faddish diet by virtue of personal anecdotes.

I tried keto, but found I was generally 20% down on power compared with a carbohydrate calorie based fuelling method. Although I do enjoy the clear-headed feeling, fat loss and fat burning potential I see it only as an off-season training tool.

Atkins type diets are not good for you, they clog your arteries due to overconsumption of cholesterol, and pointing to Inuit and Sami people is silly because they had nothing else to practically eat. If you want to know what's best simply look at blue zone diets, follow recommended calorie intakes and attempt to get full nutrition.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

TheKaiser wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:37 pm
waltthizzney wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:59 pm
Can you provide some citations for your claims? And I don't mean a link to Durianrider's Youtube channel. I also don't mean a link to a "doctor's" website where some guy with no background in clinicial research is using his labcoat to get people to think he knows something about nutrition, when really he just likes animals or thinks veganism will save the planet. There are an equal number of doctors who will tell you that going keto, or at the very least low carb/high fat, is the best diet solution.
find me one time in history where humans ate low carb diet. it does not make sense genetically. Nevermind if you are seeking athletic performance. The doctors you are referring to are just pushing their own agenda, all the unbiased research is extremely clear.

Go read this book and the studies referenced. The science is obvious, if you want to ignore that go ahead, it your own health you are putting at risk. it is pretty obvious looking at the western diet there is a huge problem. People being fat and obese is a new phenomenon. Now you want to treat these problems with these ridiculous diets like Keto? How anyone can be against plant based eating is beyond me.

https://www.amazon.ca/How-Not-Die-Disco ... 1250066115