2018 Cannondale SuperSix Evo (non Hi-Mod) Dura Ace

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

Hey guys,

I just unboxed and built my new SSE non Hi-Mod. It comes with Dura Ace 9100 all over except the crankset (Hollowgram Si) and the cassette (ultegra).

Out of the box, it sits at 7.07 kg without pedals and bottle cages. Honestly, I was expecting something closer to 6.8 kg.

The bike without the front and rear wheels weighs 4.36 kg. The stock Hollowgram Si wheels system weighs 2.7 kg (tires, QR, tubes, cassette etc)

ImageCapture by Alex Godbout-Simard, on Flickr

I'll post the Excel sheet of the weight/build down bellow. I'am fairly new here, so please give me your input!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

Updated Build Sheet with new target and upgrade cost

Imagebuild by Alex Godbout-Simard, on Flickr
Last edited by alexgodmar on Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

Stock, with pedals

ImageIMG_9230 by Alex Godbout-Simard, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9231 by Alex Godbout-Simard, on Flickr

bilwit

by bilwit

looks good, weight is probably what I would expect from a stock setup--doesn't take much to bring it down to 6.8 (QR, expander plug, trim the steerer)

Ultegra chain & cassette also bring it up another ~100g but obviously much more practical than DA so I would leave those.

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

bilwit wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:05 pm
looks good, weight is probably what I would expect from a stock setup--doesn't take much to bring it down to 6.8 (QR, expander plug, trim the steerer)

Ultegra chain & cassette also bring it up another ~100g but obviously much more practical than DA so I would leave those.
Thanks! Upgrading the cassette is an easy 100g to loose but it costs almost $300 here.

I've updated the build sheet with prices and new target weight

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

Hey folks, I did a lot of modifications in the last few week but I have an issue I want to solve first. Any Cannondale gurus had any problems with the light weight exp. cap? It simply wont fit into my fork tube. Maybe once I'll cut it it will slide in? Does it only fits into the high mod models and CAADX?

ImageIMG_9438 by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23Bbq72]Image
IMG_9439 by Alex Godbout-Simard, on Flickr

Thanks

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

We made the fork steerer thicker (only added 9 grams but really increases strength) and redesigned the compression assembly at the same time. The new compression assembly should be available from any Cannondale retailer. Part number K35058. Saves a few grams too, but I don't remember how many off the top of my head.

Alternatively, if you're handy, you can remove material from the 4 ribs to make your existing one fit. In fact you can remove the 4 ribs completely, as the new one has no ribs.

The wedges on your existing compression assembly fit fine in your fork. Due to normal manufacturing tolerances the wedges don't always fit. In that case I've filed the wedges a bit to let them slip in. I find it easier to file each wedge piece on the planar face at each end, rather than the cylindrical surfaces on the OD.

Edit: Found a picture of K35058 in the new Synapse owner's manual supplement. As you can see, in this version we incorporated space in the cap to let the fork extend 3 mm above the stem. This helps reduce stress at the cut edge of the fork due to clamping.

Nice to know: the new K35058 compression assembly is backwards compatible with previous-generation Cannondale carbon forks, too.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

DamonRinard wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:41 pm
We made the fork steerer thicker (only added 9 grams but really increases strength) and redesigned the compression assembly at the same time. The new compression assembly should be available from any Cannondale retailer. Part number K35058. Saves a few grams too, but I don't remember how many off the top of my head.

Alternatively, if you're handy, you can remove material from the 4 ribs to make your existing one fit. In fact you can remove the 4 ribs completely, as the new one has no ribs.

The wedges on your existing compression assembly fit fine in your fork. Due to normal manufacturing tolerances the wedges don't always fit. In that case I've filed the wedges a bit to let them slip in. I find it easier to file each wedge piece on the planar face at each end, rather than the cylindrical surfaces on the OD.

Edit: Found a picture of K35058 in the new Synapse owner's manual supplement. As you can see, in this version we incorporated space in the cap to let the fork extend 3 mm above the stem. This helps reduce stress at the cut edge of the fork due to clamping.

Nice to know: the new K35058 compression assembly is backwards compatible with previous-generation Cannondale carbon forks, too.
Wow I didn't expect an answer from a Cannondale Eng. Thanks! I guess I'll grind the ribs down for now :) Cheers!

DOUG

by DOUG

alexgodmar wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:18 pm
Hey folks, I did a lot of modifications in the last few week but I have an issue I want to solve first. Any Cannondale gurus had any problems with the light weight exp. cap? It simply wont fit into my fork tube. Maybe once I'll cut it it will slide in? Does it only fits into the high mod models and CAADX?

ImageIMG_9438 by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23Bbq72]Image
IMG_9439 by Alex Godbout-Simard, on Flickr

Thanks
I had this exact problem when building my Supersix HiMod and as Damon suggests above you can remove material from the ribs to make it fit. I just got a dremel and carefully ground it back to a smaller diameter. Hope this helps!

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=147970&p=1353655#p1353655

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Good call Doug. I miss lots of posts here, including yours obviously - sorry about that.
Damon Rinard

DOUG

by DOUG

Hah not a problem @DamonRinard.

Quick question, I thought the ribs on the top cap were there to support the steerer tube when the stem clamp was tightened. Is this no longer the case now that the steerer tube is slightly thicker wall?

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Correct.
Damon Rinard

DOUG

by DOUG

Ok great. Was looking at different top cap/expander options and was concerned this could be an issue should i decide to use something non-Cannondale. I guess there should no longer be a problem having spacers above the stem as well?

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

The expander must support the fork at the stem's bottom clamp.

Adding more than a few millimeters of spacers above the stem forces the expander too high, leaving the fork vulnerable to the stem's clamping stress without the expander's support.
Damon Rinard

DOUG

by DOUG

I see so situation normal in that regard then, still an improvement though IMO. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com