Help me choose a new bike - 3500€ limit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mustafah009

by mustafah009

kidrob wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:16 pm
mustafah009 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:06 pm
jever98 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Canyon is difficult to beat on value for money.

Have you checked how well the frame fits you? I would be mindful of the fact that frames differ quite a bit - some are long and low and others shorter and higher. Depending on your morphology and flexiblity one bike might work well for you whilst another might not, independent of quality.

For example I am tall with long legs and shorter torso. Means that I would best fit the Endurace in the Canyon line up, even though I run a healthy drop.
Short legs long torso and very good flexibility, I run the TCR which is a size S with a 110mm 17º negative stem (would like to get a smaller frame with 130 stem).
One of my concerns with the Canyon Ultimate slx is the length of the provided stem/bar combo (in the frameset), in my size it comes with only 90mm stem length and they don't seem to be willing to change it without additional charge.
The Canyon is so much value for the money and all you would ever need. How much is the additional charge? Cant be that much tbh.
The stem/bar combo is 400€, not sure if they will accept the one that comes in the frameset as a return.

kidrob

by kidrob

mustafah009 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:24 pm
kidrob wrote:
mustafah009 wrote:
jever98 wrote:

Have you checked how well the frame fits you? I would be mindful of the fact that frames differ quite a bit - some are long and low and others shorter and higher. Depending on your morphology and flexiblity one bike might work well for you whilst another might not, independent of quality.

For example I am tall with long legs and shorter torso. Means that I would best fit the Endurace in the Canyon line up, even though I run a healthy drop.
Short legs long torso and very good flexibility, I run the TCR which is a size S with a 110mm 17º negative stem (would like to get a smaller frame with 130 stem).
One of my concerns with the Canyon Ultimate slx is the length of the provided stem/bar combo (in the frameset), in my size it comes with only 90mm stem length and they don't seem to be willing to change it without additional charge.
The Canyon is so much value for the money and all you would ever need. How much is the additional charge? Cant be that much tbh.
The stem/bar combo is 400€, not sure if they will accept the one that comes in the frameset as a return.
huh? Did you actually talk to them about it?
If you order a bike at Canyon they usually built it up just for you and therefore can mount whatever you want and what comes out of your call. When I bought my last Canyon this was all free of charge and they do their best to help you find the best setup based on their experience.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mustafah009

by mustafah009

kidrob wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:38 pm
mustafah009 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:24 pm
kidrob wrote:
mustafah009 wrote:

huh? Did you actually talk to them about it?
If you order a bike at Canyon they usually built it up just for you and therefore can mount whatever you want and what comes out of your call. When I bought my last Canyon this was all free of charge and they do their best to help you find the best setup based on their experience.
Yes, they say it can't be changed now.

jever98

by jever98

mustafah009 wrote:
jever98 wrote:

If you have the stack/reach of your handlebar sorted out you can easily simulate which spacer / stem combo you need to get in the same position on a different frame. I've shared a link to a simple spreadsheet in another thread.
----
No longer in the industry

muti

by muti

Look 785 huez (not rs),ultegra.

dim

by dim

for a climbing bike, Giant TCR, or Scott Addict and upgrade the wheels

for an all rounder, I like the Trek Emonda 9 series with Di2, and I'm saving up for one (but I will buy 2nd hand as I cannont afford new) ... 3500 euros will get you a good one on ebay if you are patient

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

mustafah009

by mustafah009

dim wrote:for a climbing bike, Giant TCR, or Scott Addict and upgrade the wheels

for an all rounder, I like the Trek Emonda 9 series with Di2, and I'm saving up for one (but I will buy 2nd hand as I cannont afford new) ... 3500 euros will get you a good one on ebay if you are patient

Don’t like the current Scott addict rc color schemes (my preference are mainly matte black frames). And the Only TCR frameset that I would consider would be the SL, which Is out of budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mustafah009

by mustafah009

muti wrote:Look 785 huez (not rs),ultegra.
That’s an interesting proposition. Do you know the average weight of the frameset?

dim

by dim

mustafah009 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:11 pm
Hi,

I'm in a market for a new bike, with a budget limit of 3500€. My current bike is a giant TCR advanced(alloy steerer) with 105 and Campagnolo Zonda C17 wheels, and I want to by a new bike with a high end frame, groupset and wheels can be of lower grade as I will be upgrading as time goes by. My preference is to have a light, climbing bike (my own weight is 59Kg).
What bikes do you suggest? I was currently looking into the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 or by a trek Emonda SLR frameset and build from there (will use my current Zonda C17 wheels initially).

Thanks
you have a big budget .... my advice to you is keep your Giant TCR and with your money, get really good wheels, good hubs and Dura Ace it ... there may be some change left to get some other items that will make your rides more enjoyable (good sunglasses, Garmin Edge 1030, fast tubeless tyres, cycliq rear camera, Garmin Virb Ultra 30 front camera, decent saddle, decent clothes etc etc )

in a few years time, you can buy another frameset and transfer the components ....

getting another bike will not make you very much faster
Last edited by dim on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Kazyole

by Kazyole

dim wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:03 pm
mustafah009 wrote:
Hi,

I'm in a market for a new bike, with a budget limit of 3500€. My current bike is a giant TCR advanced(alloy steerer) with 105 and Campagnolo Zonda C17 wheels, and I want to by a new bike with a high end frame, groupset and wheels can be of lower grade as I will be upgrading as time goes by. My preference is to have a light, climbing bike (my own weight is 59Kg).
What bikes do you suggest? I was currently looking into the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 or by a trek Emonda SLR frameset and build from there (will use my current Zonda C17 wheels initially).

Thanks
you have a big budget .... my advice to you is keep your Giant TCR and with your money, get really good wheels, good hubs and Dura Ace it ... there may be some change left to get some other items that will make your rides more enjoyable (good sunglasses, Grmin Edge 1030, fast tubeless tyres, cycliq rear camera, Garmin Virb Ultra 30 front camera, decent saddle, decent clothes etc etc )

in a few years time, you can buy another frameset and transfer the components ....

This is more or less what I did. Had a chinese carbon bike with ultegra Di2. Rode that for a couple years. Bought a cervelo R5 frameset and transferred the parts. Rode that for two years. Then within the past week or so have started the parts upgrade process again. Generally speaking, you'll realize more of a performance benefit from better wheels and parts than a new frameset, unless you want to change things up entirely and go for an aero frame or something.

How old is the TCR?

dim

by dim

Kazyole wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:14 pm
dim wrote:
mustafah009 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
you have a big budget .... my advice to you is keep your Giant TCR and with your money, get really good wheels, good hubs and Dura Ace it ... there may be some change left to get some other items that will make your rides more enjoyable (good sunglasses, Grmin Edge 1030, fast tubeless tyres, cycliq rear camera, Garmin Virb Ultra 30 front camera, decent saddle, decent clothes etc etc )

This is more or less what I did. Had a chinese carbon bike with ultegra Di2. Rode that for a couple years. Bought a cervelo R5 frameset and transferred the parts. Rode that for two years. Then within the past week or so have started the parts upgrade process again. Generally speaking, you'll realize more of a performance benefit from better wheels and parts than a new frameset, unless you want to change things up entirely and go for an aero frame or something.

How old is the TCR?
I'm doing the same ... I have a 2014 Giant TCR and I've upgraded it but have also bought all the gadgets that make cycling more enjoyable....

my best upgrade so far was wheels .... I ended up having a wheelset custom built (HED Belgium plus rims, Chris King R45 hubs (ceramic upgrade, Sapiem Cx Ray spokes and I'm currently using tubeless tyres)

I'm looking closely at the Trek Madone 9.9 ... lovely bike, but I'm not sure if I want to spend silly money on that and I,m not sure if I will be much faster .... My old Giant fits me like a glove
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Kazyole

by Kazyole

dim wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:22 pm
Kazyole wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:14 pm
dim wrote:
mustafah009 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

How old is the TCR?
I'm doing the same ... I have a 2014 Giant TCR and I've upgraded it but have also bought all the gadgets that make cycling more enjoyable....

my best upgrade so far was wheels .... I ended up having a wheelset custom built (HED Belgium plus rims, Chris King R45 hubs (ceramic upgrade, Sapiem Cx Ray spokes and I'm currently using tubeless tyres)

I'm looking closely at the Trek Madone 9.9 ... lovely bike, but I'm not sure if I want to spend silly money on that and I,m not sure if I will be much faster .... My old Giant fits me like a glove
Yep. If it were me upgrading within that budget I'd get a secondhand Di2 upgrade kit and maybe a set of Zipp 303 or 404 nsws. Or maybe a slightly less top of the line wheelset and toss a powermeter in as well (assuming OP doesn't already have one). The TCR is no slouch and that budget would go a long way. Although the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX is a great bike as well. Especially if OP wanted to push the budget by 600 euro and get the one with Ultegra Di2 and Mavic Cosmics. Great value for the money there:

https://www.canyon.com/en/road/ultimate ... 0-di2.html

Not a bad choice either way.

mustafah009

by mustafah009

Already have a powermeter but it’s a 4iiii 105. The idea of upgrading to Durace mechanical and some nice wheels is making a lot of sense right now.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

mustafah009 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:55 am
Already have a powermeter but it’s a 4iiii 105. The idea of upgrading to Durace mechanical and some nice wheels is making a lot of sense right now.

Yeah, at least worth pricing out so you know what your options are. 3500 should go a long way in upgrades. Got any pics of the TCR?

Catagory6

by Catagory6

only other bike i lust for, after my Look 585 is a 595 Team White

sorry, i'm not much help.

to me, almost all modern-day carbon bikes look preposterously stupid. i would be embarrassed to ride any of them.

again, sorry i'm not much help

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com