Help me to find a top cap whose bottom surface is flat.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Aya

by Aya

Hello.

I used to place a 5mm spacer above the stem.

A few days ago, I've change that 5mm spacer to 3mm. and for that reason, the height of the steerer tube and the spacer became almost the same.

Hmm.. in fact, the top of the spacer is slightly higher than the steerer tube as ever, but now, their height difference looks merely about 0.5mm, I think.

Anyway, so top caps whose edge is step type like the image1 doesn't fit my bike anymore, because there occurs the interference and the gap like the image2.

So, I would like to find a top cap whose lower surface is flat. I like black, simple and thin design. and I don't care what material the top cap is made from.

I've already googling several days, but on the internet, there were few pictures of bottom surfaces of top caps. so I couldn't sure which one is the thing I'm looking for.

Is there someone who knows cool top caps which have flat lower surface?

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I think it would be OK that top caps have center protrusion which wouldn't contact the steerer tube. Please refer to the image3.
Attachments
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
image3.jpg
Last edited by Aya on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

wilwil

by wilwil

Will 0.5mm be enough to load the bearings? I doubt it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moyboy

by moyboy

cutting or shaving the steerer tube down an option for what the spacer use to be? then you can use your existing top cap.

Aya

by Aya

wilwil wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:59 pm
Will 0.5mm be enough to load the bearings? I doubt it.
Thanks for your concern, but I've already done the setting of the headset using other top cap whose lower surface is flat. :)
Yes, I have a carbon top cap whose bottom is flat. but it is too thick. it's edge is about 4mm and the center height is about 5mm or more. it looks like a another 5mm spacer on the real spacer above the stem, so I'm searching for a thinner one.

moyboy wrote: cutting or shaving the steerer tube down an option for what the spacer use to be? then you can use your existing top cap.
My bike's steerer tube has aluminium sleeve which has been bonded to the outer carbon layer. and... it's quite difficult to cut more, especially when I have to do it on my own. So, for now, I'm searching for a proper top cap first. If I can't find good one until the spring comes, I should go for a shop to deal with this matter. :)

darnellrm

by darnellrm

Do it right. Cut the steerer.

Svetty

by Svetty

As you have already set the preload why not just file away any protruding undersurface of whichever topcap you like the look of? The filed surface will be hidden inside the spacer so as long as you have a flat surface 'rim' sitting on top of the spacer it will look perfectly fine.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Hi,

I think Riesel design topcamps will work with your headset. They look quit flat on the pictures.

Aya

by Aya

darnellrm wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:07 pm
Do it right. Cut the steerer.
NO!!! NOOOOOO~~~~~!!! :P

Svetty wrote: As you have already set the preload why not just file away any protruding undersurface of whichever topcap you like the look of? The filed surface will be hidden inside the spacer so as long as you have a flat surface 'rim' sitting on top of the spacer it will look perfectly fine.
Yes, you are right. It would be good if I file away the top cap's bottom protrusion.
But if I could find a proper item, I think it is a more simple and easier way that I just buy one than filing away metal parts.
Anyway, I will keep your good suggestion in my mind, as an alternative solution. Thank you. :D

PinaRene wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:05 pm
Hi,

I think Riesel design topcamps will work with your headset. They look quit flat on the pictures.
Yes, Looking at the picture you've uploaded, it seems to have a flat bottom.
I guess it is made from carbon, because it looks a little bit thick.
But for more about it, I'm going to search for that item on the internet.
Thanks for your information!!!

PinaRene

by PinaRene

I've just ordered the Riesel topcap with a Carbon-Ti expander, because I have similar problems like you with the steerer. I made the order at R2 bikes in Germany.

https://r2-bike.com

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

The other theoretical way if you have enough clearance but I don't recommend it is to....

Use an additional spacer above the stem solely to set the preload on the headset. Then tighten the stem bolts, and you can remove the top cap and additional spacer, and then simply set the top cap back on top. You will not be able to reset the system on the road, but it does work, and I have done this in the past until I was 100% on removing just the additional few mm.

Don't recommend it though !

Aya

by Aya

PinaRene wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:41 pm
I've just ordered the Riesel topcap with a Carbon-Ti expander, because I have similar problems like you with the steerer. I made the order at R2 bikes in Germany.

https://r2-bike.com
Hello.
Have you received your top cap? I googled about Riesel top caps, and I found this photo.
I can not sure, but it seems the top cap doesn't have a flat bottom. :(

ghisallo2003 wrote: The other theoretical way if you have enough clearance but I don't recommend it is to....

Use an additional spacer above the stem solely to set the preload on the headset. Then tighten the stem bolts, and you can remove the top cap and additional spacer, and then simply set the top cap back on top. You will not be able to reset the system on the road, but it does work, and I have done this in the past until I was 100% on removing just the additional few mm.

Don't recommend it though !
Haha, I tried it out as you explained.
But I think it is not a very good way in terms of aesthetics, because the steerer tube is poke out too much(about 3mm) above the stem.
Anyway, Thanks for your help. I always welcome novel ideas. :thumbup:

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

If you don't mind the funnel shape, then consider Absolute Black's cap.

wilwil

by wilwil

what bollox

Aya

by Aya

wrcompositi wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:25 pm
If you don't mind the funnel shape, then consider Absolute Black's cap.
I mind little about the shape of the upper surface, as long as it is a simple kind of design.

But I worry about whether a funnel shaped one also contacts the steerer tube.

Well... If I have no other choice, maybe I could try it out.
Or... maybe I should buy a file following Svetty's advice. :beerchug:

wilwil wrote:what bollox
It looks like your sagging bollox. :P

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Aya wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:28 pm
PinaRene wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:41 pm
Hello.
Have you received your top cap? I googled about Riesel top caps, and I found this photo.
I can not sure, but it seems the top cap doesn't have a flat bottom. :(

I've got the Riesel topcap in, and it's doesn't have a flat bottom. It's just 1 tot 1,5 mm though to center the topcap into the steerer tube. For me it's perfect, because my fork lengt is excactly the same as my stem hight. So a 3mm spacer will do to set the preload in the bearings.. My old expander rested on the fork tube and the cone shaped bottom of the topcap ( Cane Creek ) made me use 1cm of spacers to set the preload.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com