Hunt carbon rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stormur

by stormur

are you sure it was "their" ?

making "own wheel brand" sourcing mass production components coming from far east is so easy and tempting ( even 'tailor made" ; shape, width, height, finish ) ... or one can go more expensive way and do engineering & testing ( incl certification ) "in house". Up to you in which path you believe. I had few different "Hunt" wheelsets in hands and have certain opinion about it .

If Hunt will show on livestream their R&D department in UK, testroom in UK, ceritificates ( required on EU market ) issued by European company ( SGS is good enough, Dekra better ), and if no one can find "their" hubs and rims as "rebranded" something made in China... I'll change my mind ;)

I believe it's not gonna happened :mrgreen:

PS small hint : as "manufacturer" they do not have spare rims as warranty/ crash replacement- only complete wheels - what does it say to you ? ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kofsw4

by kofsw4

They sell rims here:

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/rims

Don't think they hide the fact that they don't manufacture themselves though.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

cassard

by cassard

like a lot of company, they mostly claim that they design the shape but they don't manufacture it themselve. Pretty much like most of the companies on the market.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

emotive wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:14 am
slashdotdash wrote:Anyone know of a carbon rim supplier who offers a rim similar to Hunt's new 30 Carbon Aero Disc? It's a 30mm deep, 26.6mm/21.3mm external/internal width tubeless-ready carbon rim.

Light Bicycle have released a new rim, RR36C02. 80psi maximum. 36mm deep, 28mm outer, 21C inner, or 22.5C hookless inner. 440g. I've put 800km on mine, going great.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/Road-bicyc ... lable.html

I've pumped them up to 80psi once, but i'm running 28C tyres at 50-60psi (80kg rider) and that's plenty. Have tried down to 40psi without issue, so if you can fit a wide tyre, 80psi on 25C tyres should be enough, if you have room for 28C, 70psi will be enough.
Actually, according to the web page for those Light Bicycle rims, they come in either a hooked or hookless version, and the hookless are rated for 40psi and the hooked for 160psi.

Nick

emotive

by emotive

cassard wrote: Actually, according to the web page for those Light Bicycle rims, they come in either a hooked or hookless version, and the hookless are rated for 40psi and the hooked for 160psi.

Nick
Yes, mine are the hookless version. The rating was initially 80psi, but I think they downgraded the pressure rating to protect themselves from people without common sense. Imagine someone blaming them because a 23mm tubeless tyre stretched on a 22C internal rim didn't hold.

I wouldn't run a 23mm tubeless tyres on these at 80psi, I'd be concerned there was not enough side pressure on the bead. But I'm comfortable running 28mm tyres, with tubes, at 50-60psi. I have now ridden 5,500km on these LB wheels, and have not had any issues.

stormur

by stormur

cassard wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:37 am
like a lot of company, they mostly claim that they design the shape but they don't manufacture it themselve. Pretty much like most of the companies on the market.
I absolutely agree with you : "mostly CLAIM" :mrgreen:

Who doen't "claim" but really do ?

Shimano, Campagnolo/Fulcrum, HED , DT Swiss , Easton... there's still some real manufacturers on the market. Many others REALLY do design and testing just outsourcing production ( under strict quality control ) . Some just ... not.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

cassard

by cassard

I don't have any problem with outsourcing the production. But just like some companies like Light Bicycles. The rims seems very nice, but I can't get around my head that they never talk about the R&D like a lot of other companies do. I still can't only trust people on forums talk good about them.

I would need more information or better source of informations to trust them.

bilwit

by bilwit

cassard wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:32 am
I don't have any problem with outsourcing the production. But just like some companies like Light Bicycles. The rims seems very nice, but I can't get around my head that they never talk about the R&D like a lot of other companies do. I still can't only trust people on forums talk good about them.

I would need more information or better source of informations to trust them.
IMO other people's experiences are worth more to me than whatever claims a company's marketing department has cooked up. I know for sure that off-brand, overseas companies have forum plants and all that but you can usually sort through all that. I would definitely still be very wary about any off-brand carbon rim-brake clinchers, have to make sure your weight and environment is favorable compared to the risk (I say this as someone who has put 13,500 km into cheap no-named carbon rim-brake clinchers).

Wheels like Boyd or FLO get kudos for "owning" the mold design and they seem to have grown to be reasonably reputable -- the other Chinese or Taiwanese stuff like Hunt.. not sure why anyone would bother for the price point they're offering. At least with light-bicycle you can choose to get really good, reputable hubs & spokes for the same price, if not cheaper (~$1200). If you wanted off-brand chinese carbon with whatever rebranded novatecs or mystery hubs, you might as well go all the way and get something like FarSports for much cheaper. Otherwise you're likely paying an up-charged premium for the same product..

cassard

by cassard

I agree about what the company advertise themselves. But as much as review websites can be sometimes biased, I feel that I would trust more some websites like Bikeradar, Road.cc, cyclingweekly, etc.

Maybe it's just me thought.

As for myself, my bike is disc brake, so I guess that I'm safe about the braking surface. It's just that even if light bicyles rims are tempting, I'm afraid I'd regret my choice after buying them. I'm still a student who can't afford Enve's or Zipps. As for the other parts, I work in a bike shop, so I can save a lot, having good price on spokes and hubs can help me a lot on this side.

siim

by siim

Next part of the Hunt new rim development process insight has landed: http://road.cc/content/feature/238045-r ... -hunt-pt-2

morganb

by morganb

siim wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:43 pm
Next part of the Hunt new rim development process insight has landed: http://road.cc/content/feature/238045-r ... -hunt-pt-2
Strangely this seems to contradict the direction that everyone else is going, where experiencing yaw over 10 degrees is a substantially smaller proportion of riding time than anything under this to the point that it is almost not relevant.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Has anyone had experience with their 45mm tubulars?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk