Questions about Safety of Carbon Repair.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Chans1ee

by Chans1ee

Hi, there.

A few days ago, seatstay of my bike is partially cracked, because i installed my bike on indoor trainer with the wrong way.
really like this bike and can't get it anymore, so I'm going to use it with carbon repair.
I will consult a carbon repair company to get repair and partial painting.
Carbon repair companies claim that small areas of carbon damage can be repaired and used safely.
Of course, Buying a new carbon frame is most safe, but if that isn't the case, I would like to ask you 'carbon repair is safe'?
Attachments
1518434447589.jpg
Last edited by Chans1ee on Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marin

by Marin

What are we seeing in the pic?

Of all frame materials, carbon is the easiest to repair, and the repaired area can be easily stronger than new.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chans1ee

by Chans1ee

Marin wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:22 pm
What are we seeing in the pic?

Of all frame materials, carbon is the easiest to repair, and the repaired area can be easily stronger than new.
Focus on the part that end of wooden stick.
when i press that part with wooden sticks
, it sink easily with 'spliting sound'.
photograph is captured from the video.
Attachments
1518440039898.jpg
1518440040776.jpg

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Looks like we're looking at the inside of the drive side seat stay?
Also looks like something grinder it down through the cosmetic layer of carbon to the structural. So yea, definitely going to need to send it off for repair, but I'm going to agree that most reputable shops are going to send you back something as good as or better than original.

I'd also recommend getting a few estimates. When I cracked my frame I had one very reputable and well know shop shoot me back a quote like it's another day at the office. Another reputable but not as well known shop sent me back a similar quote and told me that he could fix it, but in his opinion I'd be better off putting it into a new bike (and didn't try to sell me one of his).
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Chans1ee

by Chans1ee

IrrelevantD wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:11 pm
Looks like we're looking at the inside of the drive side seat stay?
Also looks like something grinder it down through the cosmetic layer of carbon to the structural. So yea, definitely going to need to send it off for repair, but I'm going to agree that most reputable shops are going to send you back something as good as or better than original.

I'd also recommend getting a few estimates. When I cracked my frame I had one very reputable and well know shop shoot me back a quote like it's another day at the office. Another reputable but not as well known shop sent me back a similar quote and told me that he could fix it, but in his opinion I'd be better off putting it into a new bike (and didn't try to sell me one of his).
As you say, the crack is occured inside of the drive side seat stay.
So far, it has received estimates from three different carbon repair shops.
They all said that the crack was repairable.
Shops all said the cracks were repairable, and since the crack is small, there are no safety problems after repair.
I have asked for repair to the shop which has most reliable ways to repair(shop that fixes carbon cracks the same way that the cracked FRP yacht is repaired).
If safety is proven after frame repair, I will be able to ride bicycle without worries.
Didn't you have any safety issues after the crack repairs?

glepore

by glepore

It's very repairable. Just make sure they check for chain clearance in small cog when done. A very reputable company left a friend of mine with a Colnago where a 12 is unusable due to the thickness of a repair in that area. It was a difficult repair, but still...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Chans1ee wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:45 pm
Didn't you have any safety issues after the crack repairs?
I didn't have it repaired. I didn't want to be without my bike for what was looking like 3+ weeks so I ordered a new frame. Joke was on me as the new frame ended up taking a month to arrive anyway.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Chans1ee

by Chans1ee

glepore wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:03 pm
It's very repairable. Just make sure they check for chain clearance in small cog when done. A very reputable company left a friend of mine with a Colnago where a 12 is unusable due to the thickness of a repair in that area. It was a difficult repair, but still...
Are you saying that reputable company finally fixed up a colnago frame?
My poor English is hard to understand the exact meaning you are trying to say.
If you have repaired and used the frame, did you have any problem with the frame after repair?

fogman

by fogman

Duplicate post.
Last edited by fogman on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

fogman

by fogman

I have had two different carbon fiber frames repaired by Calfee. I am 100% satisfied with the repair. The repair carries a 10 year warranty and I have no concerns about the repair being unsafe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

fogman wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:31 am
I have had two different carbon fiber frames repaired by Calfee. I am 100% satisfied with the repair. The repair carries a 10 year warranty and I have no concerns about the repair being unsafe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a frame repaired by Carbon Solutions (http://joescarbonrepair.com/) over a year ago. Cracked chainstay and seat stay -- perfect repair and no issues in the following 10k miles, ridden hard in anger and on the trainer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com