Carbon crank arm protection?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AW84

by AW84

Have a new bike on order, and taking into account the lesson learned with my current crankset that has more craters in the arms than the surface of the moon, I'd like to find some adequate protectors for the arm ends. Will be using the latest-gen S-Works carbon crankset on this one. Are there any known crank protectors large enough fit this crank? I thought about simply using helicopter tape, but it wouldn't look near as nice trying to fit it around the rounded contours.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

What in the world are you doing to damage the arm ENDS on a road bike?!

Unless you're taking both wheels off, and throwing the bike in the bed of a pickup truck for transport, I can't think of a single thing that would ever touch the arm ends.

I wrap mine in 3m black reflective tape. Black in daylight. Bright white when headlights hit it. It still looks new years later.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Seems unnecessary for a road bike but all my MTBs have Raceface crank boot on their carbon crank arms. Sram also makes them. They're stretchy enough to fit other brands.

ms6073

by ms6073

BikeAnon wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:30 am
I can't think of a single thing that would ever touch the arm ends.
If like me, the OP has a Saris Triple Track with fork blocks in the back of the vehicle, then it is quite easy if one is not paying attention for one or the other crank arm ends to get scuffed by the floor of the vehicle while putting the bike in or taking it out.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TonyM

by TonyM

WOW I also wondered what is was for.... :shock: Now I know (although I really don't need this) :thumbup: Still learning every day ...

AW84

by AW84

BikeAnon wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:30 am
What in the world are you doing to damage the arm ENDS on a road bike?!

Unless you're taking both wheels off, and throwing the bike in the bed of a pickup truck for transport, I can't think of a single thing that would ever touch the arm ends.

I wrap mine in 3m black reflective tape. Black in daylight. Bright white when headlights hit it. It still looks new years later.
Rocks and sticks seem to find their way onto my arm crank arm ends quite easily. Front wheel kicks it up and it's going to hit something (BB part of the frame, the crank ends, or your shoes).

AW84

by AW84

Are these the same thing as helicopter tape and automotive paint tape, just in pre-cut form?

hmai18

by hmai18

[quote=AW84 post_id=1374279 time=1517005769 user_id=62026
Are these the same thing as helicopter tape and automotive paint tape, just in pre-cut form?
[/quote]

Pretty much, yup. I use both the film and the crankboots on my Hollowgrams since it's on a cross bike.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Check out the rubber bumpers that Race Face makes. They are like toe covers for your crank arm ends.
Never tried them myself, but they come in different sizes and colors. Might be worth a spin.

Edit - I see now one of the links above is to this product.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com