2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Quit it. The SL6 Disc has been seen in photographs since last July. The Boels-Dolmans team has been seen with multiple disc Tarmacs in that livery for weeks.

Scroll down: https://cyclingtips.com/2017/07/2018-sp ... irst-look/

I’ve been saying forever that they missed their summer release window and that it wouldn’t make sense to launch it in the middle of the northern hemisphere’s winter. Hopefully it makes an appearance in March ahead of the spring classics, but it might in fact be the Giro where it gets unveiled officially.

Roentgun

by Roentgun

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:16 am

I’ve been saying forever that they missed their summer release window and that it wouldn’t make sense to launch it in the middle of the northern hemisphere’s winter. Hopefully it makes an appearance in March ahead of the spring classics, but it might in fact be the Giro where it gets unveiled officially.

One of the most sensible posts in this thread

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcorn

by dcorn

TobinHatesYou wrote:

What doesn't make sense is releasing the rim brake model at the TdF and not getting customers their bikes until late fall, early winter. If you can't get bikes to customers until months after release, I'd think it'd be better to release at the beginning of the season and have bikes out in stores and in customer hands by early spring.

I decided to quit waiting on a vaporware and bought a Canyon Aeroad Disc.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

dcorn wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:17 pm

I needed a new frame/bike after healing from a broken scapula last summer. The Teammachine SLR01 Disc ended up not really being available until September. The Tarmac SL6 Disc never materialized. The Trek Emonda SLR Disc had immediate availability...my Project One order took 2.5 weeks. That made my decision really easy.

dcorn

by dcorn

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:38 am
I needed a new frame/bike after healing from a broken scapula last summer. The Teammachine SLR01 Disc ended up not really being available until September. The Tarmac SL6 Disc never materialized. The Trek Emonda SLR Disc had immediate availability...my Project One order took 2.5 weeks. That made my decision really easy.
Damn, didn't know the wait was that long on the BMCs. Yeah, I put my order in on the 20th and the bike shipped on the 23rd. No customization unfortunately, but I get a bike to ride in just over a week.

TonyM

by TonyM

I almost ordered a BMC Teammachine last November and I would have to wait 2-3 weeks.

Roentgun

by Roentgun

Spoke to a Rep today. He said maybe TdF. He said no way for March deliveries.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Quit it. The SL6 Disc has been seen in photographs since last July. The Boels-Dolmans team has been seen with multiple disc Tarmacs in that livery for weeks.

Scroll down: https://cyclingtips.com/2017/07/2018-sp ... irst-look/

OK, I will quit it. But only because I value your opinion so much.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

S Works disc + Altos = perfection

TonyM

by TonyM

Roentgun wrote:Spoke to a Rep today. He said maybe TdF. He said no way for March deliveries.
Yes no way it will be possible to deliver im March the mass....

Even the Pros don‘t all have their Tarmac disc yet.

brassnautilus

by brassnautilus

haven't posted here for so long I've forgotten my username and had to register again just for this :O

Anyway, the disc version of tarmac will be available in the spring. There will be 5? regular colors including the color changing orange.
Team bora and quickstep version will also be available for like 200 bucks more, same goes for the boels-dolmans scheme, which, btw, will come in size 44. (other team schemes start from size 49)

Your nearby S-works shop should be able to place order in Feb, but expected delivery will be late April/May.

P.S The new BORA color is white based with blue and green sections, in case anyone hasn't seen. The standard rim brake version will be coming in that color as well.
Last batch of Sagan Superstar tarmac will also become available in Feb/March but that's probably already picked off by pre-orders. The disc version will not be available in Sagan's color AFAIK.

Roentgun

by Roentgun

Got this tidbit today confirming above

I was going to post a screenshot, but photobucket limited my account and my img file is too large so you’ll have to settle for copy and paste.

Thanks for your e-mail, and your interest in the Tarmac Disc. The riders of Quick-Step, Bora and Boels-Dolmans are riding these bikes at the moment.
During spring the Tarmac Disc will be available for consumers.

Please keep an eye on our social media pages, or subscribe for our newsletter!

Met vriendelijke groeten / Cordialement / Best regards,

Aimée Groot
Specialized Bicycles, Europe B.V.
Marketing
E-mail: Aimee.Groot@specialized.com
Internet: www.specialized.com
Phone: +31 6 10 00 85 94

moyboy

by moyboy

Color changing orange? you mean the torch edition from the olympics a couple years back?
brassnautilus wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:43 am
haven't posted here for so long I've forgotten my username and had to register again just for this :O

Anyway, the disc version of tarmac will be available in the spring. There will be 5? regular colors including the color changing orange.
Team bora and quickstep version will also be available for like 200 bucks more, same goes for the boels-dolmans scheme, which, btw, will come in size 44. (other team schemes start from size 49)

Your nearby S-works shop should be able to place order in Feb, but expected delivery will be late April/May.

P.S The new BORA color is white based with blue and green sections, in case anyone hasn't seen. The standard rim brake version will be coming in that color as well.
Last batch of Sagan Superstar tarmac will also become available in Feb/March but that's probably already picked off by pre-orders. The disc version will not be available in Sagan's color AFAIK.

fritzbox

by fritzbox

O Yeah

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ghost234

by Ghost234

dcorn wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:17 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:

What doesn't make sense is releasing the rim brake model at the TdF and not getting customers their bikes until late fall, early winter. If you can't get bikes to customers until months after release, I'd think it'd be better to release at the beginning of the season and have bikes out in stores and in customer hands by early spring.

I do like what Trek did with the Emonda (back in 2015?) or Cervelo with the R5 rim brake this year. They showcased it at the tour and were able to have it in stores within a week. I entirely agree with you, that it does not make sense to release a bike and not be able to get people riding until late fall/early winter. More businesses would benefit from having realistic release windows when customers are interested in their products.