Riding where it snows ...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

AJS914

by AJS914

I just found out that we are probably moving to New Mexico this summer so this will be my last snowy winter for a while. Supposedly there are miles and miles of trails around there to ride.

In Las Cruces. it's 50-70F (10-21C) in the winter right now and it hardly rains so there won't be many days when I can't ride. I'm guessing that the biggest obstacle may be heat in mid to late summer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

AJS914 wrote:I just found out that we are probably moving to New Mexico this summer so this will be my last snowy winter for a while. Supposedly there are miles and miles of trails around there to ride.

In Las Cruces. it's 50-70F (10-21C) in the winter right now and it hardly rains so there won't be many days when I can't ride. I'm guessing that the biggest obstacle may be heat in mid to late summer.
Wow that will be different for you!!
Are you moving there for work or retiring etc...?

Looking at the TDU in Australia it is quite a change in terms of biking indeed!

AJS914

by AJS914

It's for my wife's job. It will only be for 2 years and then we can go wherever we want.

I'm semi-retired at this stage and taking care of our son and the house.

New trails to ride and great Mexican food will be a fun change of pace:

TonyM

by TonyM

Wow that sounds good!! I am keen to see your reports from there!

AJS914

by AJS914

I've got out on the bike twice this week so far. Washington is quite the contrast to NM.

My toes are cold after 1.5 hours. I ordered some new bootie to fit my MTB shoes. I'm thinking about trying toe warmers if they will fit. Otherwise, I've got the clothing dialed in pretty well.

TonyM

by TonyM

Take a lot of pictures of this winter! and enjoy looking at them when you will be living in Mexico! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AJS914

by AJS914

New Mexico!

Tony, for some reason I thought you were in Belgium but I saw elsewhere that you are in BC. You must be familiar with this northwestern weather though I'm guessing you get more rain than snow compared to Spokane.

TonyM

by TonyM

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:52 am
New Mexico!

Tony, for some reason I thought you were in Belgium but I saw elsewhere that you are in BC. You must be familiar with this northwestern weather though I'm guessing you get more rain than snow compared to Spokane.
New Mexico? OK! also not that cold and rainy..... :thumbup:

I do indeed live now in BC Canada. Prior to that I lived in France, Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany and Switzerland before I moved to Canada 2 years ago. We do indeed get a lot of rain here around Vancouver. Last winter was with some snow but this is not common as I was told.
Anyway this is why I invested this winter in a dedicated winter/ rain bike with full fenders. And because of the snow of last year I also bought some studded tires for my MTB so that I am not obliged to do only the home trainer if the snow stays too long. I really need to get outside at least once a week.

mattr

by mattr

TonyM wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:34 am
Anyway this is why I invested this winter in a dedicated winter/ rain bike with full fenders. And because of the snow of last year I also bought some studded tires for my MTB so that I am not obliged to do only the home trainer if the snow stays too long. I really need to get outside at least once a week.
I've had a dedicated bad weather/commuter bike since that one fateful year i ran my best bike through a british winter. Even with regular rinsing, cleaning and servicing, the salt almost completely destroyed a D-A groupset and a set of wheels (thankfully not expensive ones). The total repair/replace bill (parts only over the 4 months) was more than a mid range alloy audaxing bike. So i bought one of those next time round, that was 12 or 13 years ago. I only finished the last bits of the original groupset off a couple of years ago. The difference mudguards makes is really quite significant.

Now i have two dedicated winter/bad weather bikes, one for when there's no ice (road bike, with guards) one for when we get ice and snow (MTB, studs.)

Toe covers actually make quite a difference as well. Mine get a lot of use.

AJS914

by AJS914

I had a good crash last week. I was being harassed by a couple of dogs, and just got away from them when I came across a shady section of a gravel road that was a complete sheet of ice. It didn't help that it was like a 20% grade and I couldn't really do full brakes. I was only going 3mph but my front tire slipped out and then I slid down the 20% grade. I was just bruised. Crashing on ice is better than pavement because you just slide and it doesn't shred your expensive bike clothing.

Today, it was 54F. The snow is just about 100% gone and doesn't appear to be coming back though it's still early February. I had a great 3 hour SLD ride on the Crux. It involved a lot of getting lost and discovering new roads which was fun.

TonyM

by TonyM

Wow you have been lucky to get injured! I mean because of the ice! Humm the encounter with the dogs is also not that nice!

TuplaO

by TuplaO

Come to think of, I too crashed a couple of weeks ago. It was a dirt road with easily avoidable patches of ice here and there. However, at that time, it had been snowing which had covered the icy spots... I was riding along, fully aware of the risk, while I saw that someone had slipped on the snow earlier. Before I had the chance to do anything I was down and sliding on my side (mostly) on the ice. I got a swollen knee, slightly twisted ankle and a sore shoulder. Nothing to keep me off the bike, though. The bike got a few minor scratches, but it's part of the game.

I may spec a wheelset dedicated for studded tires for next winter and (try to) run them tubeless. Just to make sure that I can comfortably ride, whatever the conditions. A choice of knobby, slick or studded should cover it.

Geoff

by Geoff

Here in Canada, we get real winter. I remember riding on the road all winter long when I was racing. Our rule was: above -10, we ride. My 10-year-old wants to ride. There is zero chance of that happening. The issue is not the road conditions or the quality of equipment, it's the idiot in the F-350 driving like it's the middle of spring, or the moron in the Japanese home-market RICE-rocket with the low-profile summer tires. Stick with 'cross courses and indoor work. It just isn't worth it.

AJS914

by AJS914

I put in 350 miles over the last month. Now, we just got a foot of snow so I'm back to the gym and trainer. Having a month of reprieve during the winter has been great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmp

by dmp

powder day= skiing