Thoughts on the 2018 BMC Teammachine?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cpark

by cpark

Conza wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:42 pm

Mech took this pick, so few transgressions :oops: .

First ride; so stiff! So good. Looking to slam stem obviously. And potentially DA PM in the future, with DA rotors.

Wondering if you need the DA calipers as well to get benefit? :shock:
That’s a fantastic looking bike!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

saba

by saba

TonyM wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:20 am
On my Roadmachine02 the seatpost clamp cover is the same as yours BUT it is attached to the seatpost itself. I always wondered why...Now I know why...
Only on 2018 models. 2017 models have a tiny grommet.

saba

by saba

Conza wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:41 pm
rynogee wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:34 pm
not that looks should swing this for me, but that bike does look really nice.

it also looks better than most of what 2018 has to offer, see: https://cyclingtips.com/2018/01/bikes-2018-worldtour/
I thought the exact same when looking at those yesterday!

I tend to go pure minimalist; more style, than fashion/trend. Think this will last.

Outstanding photo.

Which dealership built your bike?

Conza

by Conza

saba wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:12 am
Outstanding photo.

Which dealership built your bike?
Ah cheers! 99 Bikes actually. Know the mechanic :)
It's all about the adventure :o .

bilwit

by bilwit

saba wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:11 am
TonyM wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:20 am
On my Roadmachine02 the seatpost clamp cover is the same as yours BUT it is attached to the seatpost itself. I always wondered why...Now I know why...
Only on 2018 models. 2017 models have a tiny grommet.
pretty dumb... will need to put some light adhesive or something on it maybe

rynogee

by rynogee

Does anyone have a clear and authoritative understanding of how the different models vary (or don't) in terms of carbon used, and layup/construction?

I have a feeling the color or price on the frame only option might not be attractive to me, compared to buying a low(er) spec built bike (but will depend a bit on the dealer's pricing i guess)

e.g. is the SLR01 frameset = to the frameset in the SLR01 TEAM = to the SLR01 ONE, and = to the SLR01 TWO build specs?

Is the SLR02 even worth considering in thie context? the compare function on the BMC website just says the SLR01 has "01 premium carbon", vs the "02 carbon" in the SLR02.

(sorry if this was addressed before, couldn't find it it was).

Ettore

by Ettore

rynogee wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:32 am
Does anyone have a clear and authoritative understanding of how the different models vary (or don't) in terms of carbon used, and layup/construction?

I have a feeling the color or price on the frame only option might not be attractive to me, compared to buying a low(er) spec built bike (but will depend a bit on the dealer's pricing i guess)

e.g. is the SLR01 frameset = to the frameset in the SLR01 TEAM = to the SLR01 ONE, and = to the SLR01 TWO build specs?

Is the SLR02 even worth considering in thie context? the compare function on the BMC website just says the SLR01 has "01 premium carbon", vs the "02 carbon" in the SLR02.

The colour or build spec does not have any influence on the structure underneath, regardless of whether it's SLR01 disc, rim, SLR02 disc or rim. Across platforms though, they do differ in terms of carbon spec. Of course the disc and rim brake versions differ from each other because of the shape and the forces. As well as that the SLR02 disc frame has cable ports compared to the SLR01 disc, because it doesn't come with the ICS stem and thus no internal cable routing. That also brings with it some other small differences, like a round steerer tube for the SLR02 fork, compared to a flat one for the SLR01.

llty4837

by llty4837

look very good, but very expensive. I don't like Dedicatedstem.

Pukutis

by Pukutis

Ettore wrote:
rynogee wrote:

The colour or build spec does not have any influence on the structure underneath, regardless of whether it's SLR01 disc, rim, SLR02 disc or rim. Across platforms though, they do differ in terms of carbon spec. Of course the disc and rim brake versions differ from each other because of the shape and the forces. As well as that the SLR02 disc frame has cable ports compared to the SLR01 disc, because it doesn't come with the ICS stem and thus no internal cable routing. That also brings with it some other small differences, like a round steerer tube for the SLR02 fork, compared to a flat one for the SLR01.
Apart from weight difference, is there such a big difference in performance between SLR01 and SLR02?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ettore

by Ettore

Pukutis wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:02 am
Ettore wrote:
rynogee wrote:

Apart from weight difference, is there such a big difference in performance between SLR01 and SLR02?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe weight is the leading performance difference.

TonyM

by TonyM

Usually the most expensive one has a lower weight for the same stiffness/ compliance.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

SLR02 also isnt as stiff/responsive.

Pretty much standard fare for lower models - cheaper carbon, less time consuming construction, all of which produce a frame that doesnt 'feel' as nice.

For the outgoing iteration of the SLR series, the difference between the 02 and the 01 was substantial. I'd go so far as to say the 02 was, relatively, not a good performer and was poor value for money, whereas the 01 was a top level frameset.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

rynogee

by rynogee

bilwit wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:34 pm
rynogee wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:10 am
bilwit wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:42 am
rynogee wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:31 pm
anyone care to comment (from experience or by estimation) how painful it's going to be to travel with this bike given use of the integrated stem?

seems to me various wire or hose lengths need to be very exact to get the integration correct, but then taking the bars off (from the stem faceplate? or better from the steerer?) and moving them around enough to get it into a bike box or bag is going to be a total PITA (or not possible). Is it also a pain to service the headset (i live somewhere pretty wet, hence want to be cleaning it often in winter)

Also wondering if it is feasible to run mechanical shifting through the integrated stem, or will the bends just be way too tight?

And can anyone comment on the pricing they got frame only for (in whatever currency you paid?)
I got my frame for $4299USD ($4729.99USD after taxes)

In my case, it took some digging to find a dealer who would sell me the white frame (not sold frame-only by BMC). They were kind enough to include all the integrated bits for mechanical/electronic (minus the integrated stem) and even threw in the saddle+handlebars (didn't end up using either) and a CeramicSpeed BB 8).
I see your setup is mechanical shifting. Do you have to route the shift cable under the chainstay, or can it also be routed internal where the electronic line would have gone?
You have to route (and expose) it under the chainstay, it's the exact same as the old Teammachine.
is there any chance you (or anyone with the bike setup mechanical) could post a few shots of how the cable comes out of the BB and the cable stop/system for how it goes back through the chain stay to the rear mech? I've never seen the old one close up or the new one. thanks.

fitty4

by fitty4

rynogee wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:38 pm
bilwit wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:34 pm
rynogee wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:10 am
bilwit wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:42 am

I got my frame for $4299USD ($4729.99USD after taxes)

In my case, it took some digging to find a dealer who would sell me the white frame (not sold frame-only by BMC). They were kind enough to include all the integrated bits for mechanical/electronic (minus the integrated stem) and even threw in the saddle+handlebars (didn't end up using either) and a CeramicSpeed BB 8).
I see your setup is mechanical shifting. Do you have to route the shift cable under the chainstay, or can it also be routed internal where the electronic line would have gone?
You have to route (and expose) it under the chainstay, it's the exact same as the old Teammachine.
is there any chance you (or anyone with the bike setup mechanical) could post a few shots of how the cable comes out of the BB and the cable stop/system for how it goes back through the chain stay to the rear mech? I've never seen the old one close up or the new one. thanks.
This might help you a bit https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/fileadm ... _DE_FR.pdf

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ODC

by ODC

I also went to the disc side.
Couple of months ago i bought the 2018 slr01 rim brake version for some couple of reasons. Now that a lot of these reasons have been eliminated i have sold the red one and bought the black disc one.
My dealer has build it up as a frameset.

Groupset: Dura ace 9170 di2
Powermeter: shimano dura ace
Wheelset: Dura ace c40 Clinchers, i have would like to have the C60 wheelset in clincher version but they are not available untill march.

https://ibb.co/cFFquG