Di2: which mode do you use?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I drive an automatic car but I like a full manual on my bike, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomee

by tomee

i tried syncrho for one ride but reverted back to manual.

btw does anyone know the actual difference between the 2 D-Fly units
EW-WU101 vs EW-WU111?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ingenieur

by ingenieur

Me too, having tested all three and I'm back to manual

MoreRideTime

by MoreRideTime

@tomee, the difference is the format. The WU111 is an inline version; it connects two e-tube wires. The WU101 has the same format as the "first generation" unit where Shimano expects it to be mounted on the seat stay by the rear derailleur. Here are the user manuals for each:
EW-WU111 - http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/um/UM-2710A-003-00-ENG.pdf
EW-WU101 - http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/um/UM-72R0A-008-00-ENG.pdf

sun

by sun

I'm using fully automatic, but I have it setup so that it shifts to the big ring in full syncro. For big ring to small ring, I have it so it won't do it unless it's one shift after big/big, so that I can control when I go to the small ring. Hopefully that made sense.

Kutermax

by Kutermax

I haven't had Di2 for too long, but after about 300 miles I have been enjoying semi-syncro, especially in rolling hills. I find myself popping into the big front ring at the tops of climbs, accelerating downhill and then continuing in the large rings as I start the next climb. Depending on the length and steepness of the next climb, I'll either drop down into the small front ring with the two cog shift in the rear with a single button push and then settle into the climb, or if it is quite short I might just stay in the large up front and just shift the rear.

I agree that the semi-syncro shifts could be faster. I believe there is an option in the software to increase the speed beyond "normal", but haven't tried it yet.

For full syncro, I don't see myself using this much unless I was riding a really flat area and wanted to specifically focus on holding a really narrow cadence. I have heard others though using it to free up other buttons to be used to control Garmin etc.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Kutermax wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:48 pm
I agree that the semi-syncro shifts could be faster. I believe there is an option in the software to increase the speed beyond "normal", but haven't tried it yet.
In semi-syncro mode, does the front and rear shifts happen simultaneously or does it happen sequentially? I believe the 'delay' people are complaining about is that it doesn't do both front and rear shifts concurrently, as one could easily accomplish in the 'manual' mode. The shift speed option under eTube is for the rear shifts only.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:12 pm
In semi-syncro mode, does the front and rear shifts happen simultaneously or does it happen sequentially? I believe the 'delay' people are complaining about is that it doesn't do both front and rear shifts concurrently, as one could easily accomplish in the 'manual' mode. The shift speed option under eTube is for the rear shifts only.
It's sequential, which is why I don't like it. I like mine to go a little harder before it goes easier, but that doesn't happen when shifting to the smaller ring. It shifts the ring, then adjusts the cassette regardless of how fast you have it set. As far as I'm aware, theres no way to adjust this.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I made a video on the pros and cons of synchro shift and the different modes here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j37PQ61-R-Y&t=9s

TonyM

by TonyM

Kutermax wrote:
(...)
(...)
I am using the "fastest" speed in the settings and it is good. I can't imagine going back to "normal" speed.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TonyM wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:37 am
Kutermax wrote:
(...)
(...)
I am using the "fastest" speed in the settings and it is good. I can't imagine going back to "normal" speed.
I assume this is only for the RD? I might try it. If it's this good then why it isn't the standard mode? There has to be some downside to it...

TonyM

by TonyM

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:41 am
I assume this is only for the RD? I might try it. If it's this good then why it isn't the standard mode? There has to be some downside to it...
As I bought my first Di2 a few months ago my LBS told me that they changed the setting to the fastest speed so that I will not be disappointed if I try the semi synchro.

I suppose the normal speed is "safer" if the biker is just a recreational biker and has for example a cadence of only 70 to 80 maybe.

tomee

by tomee

MoreRideTime wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:57 pm
@tomee, the difference is the format. The WU111 is an inline version; it connects two e-tube wires. The WU101 has the same format as the "first generation" unit where Shimano expects it to be mounted on the seat stay by the rear derailleur. Here are the user manuals for each:
EW-WU111 - http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/um/UM-2710A-003-00-ENG.pdf
EW-WU101 - http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/um/UM-72R0A-008-00-ENG.pdf
Thanks, so they both function exactly the same?

MoreRideTime

by MoreRideTime

@tomee, Yes, both the DFly units function the same as far as I can recall.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

keith

by keith

I’ve settled down to only using the full synchro. I haven’t touched the settings, ’it just works’.

I tried all the settings quite intensively, I like the mechanical action from the shifters, quite a lot more feedback than the previous generation. Manual shifting was just manual, very fine. Semi-synchro was good too, no need to alter the back when changing the front, I wish my mechanical DA bike worked like this too!! But full synchro is just so simple. It’s ‘semi’ in a way as you can still change the front ring if you want to any time you like, so it’s kind of the best of all options for me. I think of it as manual with extra cleverness if you like...
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;