Colnago C64 First Look

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

TonyM wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:10 pm
New chainstay.......

Not really a revolution! But what could they really improve on the C60? :shock:
some people like the ride of the c-59 better than the c-60. perhaps if retuned the ride to be somewhere in between? just a thought out loud.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Imaking20

by Imaking20

^this.

Weight and compliance come to mind. Not that the C60 is uncomfortable - just that the C59 is more comfortable

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jitensha

by Jitensha

TonyM wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:10 pm
New chainstay.......
Its difficult to capture stills of the video but the C64 chain stay also appears to have a subtle leaf-like architecture towards the bottom bracket which is reminiscent of the old EPS frames. If you watch the video carefully you can see the redesigned tube shape.
Last edited by Jitensha on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TonyM

by TonyM

A C64 paired with a wireless Campy EPS would be a significant change :mrgreen:

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Well, ive been waiting for Campy wireless since before V1 came out!! That’s when I’ll go electronic!!

TonyM

by TonyM

dgasmd wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:21 pm
Well, ive been waiting for Campy wireless since before V1 came out!! That’s when I’ll go electronic!!
Using now on my other bike Di2 I actually would like to switch on my C60 the SR mech to EPS. But due to the quite high cost a switch to EPS wireless makes more sense :smartass: .....
....Let's hope that Campy will make some nice announcement for that this year.... :)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

They've been attempting to shift from Traditional frames for some time. With the introduction of the C59 you could still get both for a while, with traditional sizes from 52 through 65 in 1cm increments. Sloping sizes at the time could be had from 42 through 58 in 2cm increments. Then they were going to drop the traditional but had quite a backlash over it, so instead opted for odd numbered sizes being in traditional geometry in 2cm increments and even numbered sizes being in sloping geometry, also in 2cm increments, instead of offering every size in both sloping or traditional. So now, sounds like maybe they're going to drop traditional and just produce the sloping sizes, I would expect in 2cm increments, which probably makes more business sense given the trends. I'm just guessing of course.
I know I've read and believe that Ernesto himself favored the traditional geometry, but that was some time ago, and things change. Plus, who knows who is really steering the direction of the company at this point. I think Ernesto is still the man at the helm, but he's gotta be thinking about handing off the reigns of control sooner than later at this point. Ultimately, I think the Colnago brand will end up under the flagship of GIANT; for sure they already have an equity stake in Colnago and are producing the Asian made frames for them, which just leaves the C60 still being made in Italy, tubes sourced from Toray, and not sure where the lugs are actually manufactured, probably Asia as well, with final mitering, assembly, bonding, curing, finishing and painting etc in Italy, which is no small part of the process. But I think Giant, from a business perspective would try to milk the Colnago brand name for as long as possible as there's no question it has a lot of value. I'm just not sure that most would really consider it a "real" Colnago at that point. At that point marketing will take over. Times change. But damn... just when I thought my bike buying days were completely over and I was totally content with where I am, this thing has to rear it's head. Till February... we'll see soon enough I suppose.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dgasmd

by dgasmd

And btw, I bought a C-60 that I got 2 months ago and I am yet to finish building due to a combination of reasons. Given my last new bike was about 8 years ago, Time rxr, I don’t foresee me getting whatever this new one is!

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm still loving my C59. If it broke I'd consider the C64 though I'd probably have Calfee repair the C59 and put a custom paint job on it.

Running wider rims and tires might be nice but a few mm extra tire width is not worth changing frames for. I also still have perfectly nice 15mm width Eurus wheels.

TonyM

by TonyM

I also definitely don’t need 28mm tires. Actually on my C60 I usually run 23 front and 25 rear.

nemomaya

by nemomaya

I'm from Barcelona and I'm reading you carefully, I just ordered a C60 PLBK 52 High a month ago that seems to be coming next week, it's my first Colnago, I have a Bianchi. My topic is that I am a little disappointed by my C60 knowing that the C64 is already here, should I be calm with the C60? Is it worth the C64? Is it true that I hear that the C60 will be timeless? the C60 will be the last made in Italy? I'm a mess. thanks for your comments, they help me a lotNo

moonoi

by moonoi

I decided to order a new Colnago last month as well, but my dealer was good enough to tell me before I even asked, if I wanted a C60 "because something new is coming in Feb and I advise you wait."

I was after the Concept anyway so didn't impact me, but surprised that other dealers weren't advising that something new was on the horizon...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

nemomaya wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:37 am
I'm from Barcelona and I'm reading you carefully, I just ordered a C60 PLBK 52 High a month ago that seems to be coming next week, it's my first Colnago, I have a Bianchi. My topic is that I am a little disappointed by my C60 knowing that the C64 is already here, should I be calm with the C60? Is it worth the C64? Is it true that I hear that the C60 will be timeless? the C60 will be the last made in Italy? I'm a mess. thanks for your comments, they help me a lotNo
like people said the c64 is a minor update. colnago's are timeless. i would not be disappointed. i have a c-59 and it doesn't bother me that there's a c60 or a c64. they're all great bikes, just a little different. and i can't think of a better place to ride a colnago than catalonia. i'll be in girona this spring for my third time

the people i ride with all ride bianchis, nice bike but the colnago is just a bit more special
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

TonyM

by TonyM

nemomaya wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:37 am
I bought a few years ago a C60 but honestly I would exactly be pleased with a C59!
And which improvements can have a C64 over a C60? to me only if you want to run 28mm or more...and really you don't need that with the C60 which is very comfortable. So your C60 is definitely a very nice bike! Like the C59 also!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mag

by mag

Since approx. last summer it's possible to order C60 in direct mount version which has clearance for 28mm tires so that isn't an issue.