2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

AJS914

by AJS914

TVG is a triathelete now so he better be on the TT bike all the time.

My only criticism of Froome was that there were no posts all year but all of a sudden he starts. My other criticism is the lack of power data. I'd find his power distribution interesting.

I've been following Brendan Canty lately since I heard him speak on a podcast. He's been doing 80-100 mile rides every day and 90% of the work is in zone 1 & 2. It would be interesting to see what Froome's interval day looks like.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:06 pm
TVG is a triathelete now so he better be on the TT bike all the time.
Uhhh... I think you're talking about Talansky. TVG is still racing for BMC.

AJS914

by AJS914

You are right. I confused those two american's who can never seem to get on the podium. :-)

KWalker

by KWalker

Pro cyclists for the most part are often afraid of putting themselves out there. WRT Froome and his training maybe I am wrong but I can't think of a ton of sports where ALL of the training is super secret. A lot of American sports have pretty boring training, or methods that wouldn't necessarily be super interesting unless one was there. In boxing and MMA fighters often release training footage and discuss their diet and training. But those sports tend to draw in fans and make money.

I'm actually much more interested in Sagan. Regardless of what he is or isn't on Froome doesn't seem human or relatable so I'd probably just think "Wow that is a lot". Sagan might have more unique gems or some semblance of humanism.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Asteroid

by Asteroid

KWalker wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:49 pm
WRT Froome and his training maybe I am wrong but I can't think of a ton of sports where ALL of the training is super secret.
Sorry for being obtuse...I don't understand this sentence...what does WRT mean?
Oldbie

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

With regard to.

Rob81

by Rob81

pastronef wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:51 pm
Rob81 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:51 am
both above + they strip/delete HR/Power data. Focus on distance and volume...
"ehy look how hard he's working". "wow you are my hero" etc etc
As a strategy/PR IS working.
it didnt work. on twitter and clinic The Hog analyzed the ride and his 183 bpm heart rate while he was at 165 on the Ventoux.
Who read them know it...dunno, maybe 1% of total cycling fans?
So it is and it will work.
See Strava comments below CF files.
Cycling fans want someone to believe, no matter what. And ALWAYS will be like this. Now it's time for the white Kenyan superhero.
Then sooner or later he'll get "Lanced" and the show will go on.

PS the real thing I'd like to know in the near future is the magical change that happened to him in between August/September 2011. I bet 2 cents on genetic doping (and massive use of mix of drugs/TUE to keep all this crazy s**t in control).

rainerhq

by rainerhq

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:29 pm
You are right. I confused those two american's who can never seem to get on the podium. :-)
Maybe they are afraid of heights?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

pastronef

by pastronef

Rob81 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:51 pm
pastronef wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:51 pm
Rob81 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:51 am
both above + they strip/delete HR/Power data. Focus on distance and volume...
"ehy look how hard he's working". "wow you are my hero" etc etc
As a strategy/PR IS working.
it didnt work. on twitter and clinic The Hog analyzed the ride and his 183 bpm heart rate while he was at 165 on the Ventoux.
Who read them know it...dunno, maybe 1% of total cycling fans?
So it is and it will work.
See Strava comments below CF files.
Cycling fans want someone to believe, no matter what. And ALWAYS will be like this. Now it's time for the white Kenyan superhero.
Then sooner or later he'll get "Lanced" and the show will go on.

PS the real thing I'd like to know in the near future is the magical change that happened to him in between August/September 2011. I bet 2 cents on genetic doping (and massive use of mix of drugs/TUE to keep all this crazy s**t in control).
that too. sometimes I forget the usual cycling fan is way cooler and calmer than the few twitter fans I follow. and the vitriol doesnt flow so high on the road or on the rides. I rarely chat about scandals and good/bad dopers when I meet someone during the rides.
actually I hope Froome won´t get Lanced ahah, just not to give the twitter/clinic members the joy of seeing that.
agree about the show, that must always go on.

AJS914

by AJS914

Doping aside, it's probably way more than would show on Strava that really makes a pro athlete. I mean so what if Froome does 35 hours of zone 1/2 in the winter. Long slow distance is old training knowledge by now. I'd be more interested to know how much other training pros are doing (weights, yoga, plyometrics, targeted trainer intervals, whatever). I'd love to see Sagan's full program.

Rob81

by Rob81

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:18 pm
I'd love to see Sagan's full program.
not "full" nor really "out of ordinary"
FWIW http://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/tr ... ion-358009

ave

by ave

I saw that Sagan program before too.

Just reread parts of it. Take this one:
Peter will do four to six repetitions of 10 minutes at 85 per cent of his maximum aerobic power — not his FTP but rather his aerobic threshold (FTP indicates the anaerobic one). This aerobic power equates to around 60 to 70 per cent of his FTP.
If I calculate the actual Watts with my own FTP, it means doing 10 minute long intervals of next to zero load. (I do my recovery at this level between my SST intervals.)
I know it's his november program, so I don't expect to see all out efforts, but I'd hardly call these interals.

(Or simply this 60-70% of FTP is bullshit)

Shrike

by Shrike

Froome did the same thing last January yet everyone's talking it up as exceptional so clearly a PR move :lol:

Business as usual for Froome. Glad he's treating us again this year, motivated me to do bigger rides come Spring so at least I got something from it 8)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ I guess it’s the business as usual part I don’t agree with since the aaf.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petepeterson

by petepeterson

F'n strava.

Is there anything worse than comparing/discussing average speeds of a training ride?
You guys talking chamois time? LOL? #chamoistimeistrainingtime
(I could care less myself ) However before you get too excited about anything on the internet keep in mind lots of motopacing done.