Help: how to replace SRAM Red rear derailleur spring...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikebetty

by bikebetty

I have a 2009 RAM red rear derailleur with a broken titanium spring. Seems a shame to toss the whole derailleur--I'd like to replace the spring. I'm sure some of you have successfully done this and can offer advice.

Questions:

1) Where did you source the spring (SRAM says not available through them)?
2) Did you replace with ti or steel?
3) How did you remove/replace the parallelogram pin(s)?

Any guidance would be most appreciated!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

Not 100% sure, but for some reason I remember there is a thread were SRAM was replacing them. If you don't need it tomorrow you might try given them a call

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I'm not vouching for the accuracy of this, but
In Sram Red RD spring broken. Replacement available?, Mr.Gib wrote:A few LBS folks have advised me that a broken spring means a new derailleur. Totally non-serviceable as far as I can see.

For the want of a horse a kingdom was lost.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

...Most shops will not be interested or willing to take-apart or tune a derailleur of any brand. Maybe FWB and similar shops would, but those are few and far between. Most shops want to sell you a new derailleur - and you can't blame them for that, but sales are their modus operandi, obviously.

The pins can be knocked out and in with a hammer and a rod of some sort. Obviously surfaces will be marred, and you will need to clamp the body securely somehow. Take a look at a few threads on 'tuning SRAM Red' here and across the internet, it has been done before and I believe I have seen documentation on the method.

As for the spring: you can possibly order the part directly from SRAM. Look at their technical documents, the spring has a part number. Call up SRAM (they'll answer the phone, very good customer service and super friendly folks), they might send you one if they have them available.

If they do not have the spring, it is possible to have someone out there in the ether make one for you. There are various persons and companies that make custom springs. At that point, however, it may be cheaper to just get a new derailleur. :)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

bikebetty

by bikebetty

Thanks to the replies so far.

Of note:

1) I *have* called SRAM tech support, and the person I spoke with said the spring is not really replaceable. I'll have to press him on "really."

2) SRAM tech docs do not show the spring as a separate item with a part number.

3) The parallelogram pins do not go all the way through the derailleur, so there is no obvious way to push them out. Drill out, perhaps, but that might damage the body enough to render the derailleur unusable. Of course, any type of attempt to replace the spring may render the derailleur unusable...but it is unusable now...so no worse off.

4) I'll look again through the threads on tuning. I saw ideas there, but not specific steps. Maybe I haven't looked far enough.

Keep more ideas coming!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Not fixable. Sram will replace it under warranty even if it is quite old. I got my new rd in about a week.

FYI Sram is replacing with Sram black edition.

Don't mess with it - just get a new one.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

bikebetty

by bikebetty

Hmmm...I spoke with SRAM and they said no warranty replacement. Which is why I started this thread about replacing the spring myself.

I'm tempted to call them again. Did you talk with SRAM as a consumer or bike industry pro? Are there any key phrases I should use to persuade them to warranty this?

theremery

by theremery

The pins are easy to get out if you can't get a warranty replacement, but it will leave a tiny drill hole. I used the thinnest drill in my set then just tapped them gently out. Push SRAM for a spring, at least.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

bikebetty

by bikebetty

Theremy, thanks for the steps for pin removal. Have you noticed any slop developing in the derailleur after doing this?

dieandgo

by dieandgo

hi, sorry for refresh this old topic, but i have same problem, i want to change it for another sram spring,
i am not sure how i can open derailleur cage, if i drill the 4 pins, there are bolts under pins? or have i to drill deep? then how to close the cage after this operation? :S
sorry by my limited knowledge, really thanks.
Diego.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

and again I'll say don't mess with it unless Sram absolutely refuses to replace the whole thing. The one I returned was at least 4 years old. I just walked into a Sram dealer without a receipt and they sent it back for me. A week later and presto - new RD.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

xena
Banned

by xena

Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

Mikola

by Mikola

Had the same problem with SRAM Red 22.

Decided to fix it instead of sitting for days or weeks without the bike waiting for a replacement (even in the best case of SRAM agreeing to replace it, which is unlikely)

Took 1 hour to fix. Well worth the effort. And prevented perfectly working derailleur from going into a landfill.
Attachments
Derailleur without the spring (the spring should be visible via the opening next to the "RED" label)
Derailleur without the spring (the spring should be visible via the opening next to the "RED" label)
Drilled little hole to tap out the pin. Removing one pin is enough to open th cage and get access to the spring.
Drilled little hole to tap out the pin. Removing one pin is enough to open th cage and get access to the spring.
Open cage with the broken spring inside
Open cage with the broken spring inside
Broken spring
Broken spring
"Fixed" spring
"Fixed" spring
Spring reinstalled into the cage
Spring reinstalled into the cage
Derailleur reassembled and ready to go back on the bike
Derailleur reassembled and ready to go back on the bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components