lighten my Colnago!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

KOGAN

by KOGAN

Hi

I have just completed my first Marmotte sportive (6hr 45mins) and other than being over geared on a 39x25! I really enjoyed it!

I do though feel that my Colnago was a bit on the heavy side. It currently weighs 8.3kg..alot for a 48cm framed bike.

wondered if anyone could give me some tips on how to lighten it? Looking forward to doing some more mountainous sportives so wanna shave a bit of weight from the bike!

the cheaper the better!
build list as follows...

colnago m10 48cm frame and fork
pro vibe 7 bars
pro vibe stem
pro vibe seatpost
fizik aliante saddle
shimano ultegra groupset throughout
shimano ultegra pedals
mavic open pro 32 hole rims
shimano ultegra hubs
vredstein fortezza tri comp tyres

Guess initially best to change wheels? maybe ksyrium slr's?

any advice much appreciated

Dan
Last edited by KOGAN on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

KOGAN

by KOGAN

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uncle-gee

by uncle-gee

Change the frame?

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Nah, c'mon the frame looks like it fits quite well - nicely proportioned and balanced.

Without knowing your budget, it's wheels first. Those are nice bombproof training wheels, but real porkers. System wheels from Fulcrum, Mavic, etc. will be easiest to source. As you are in the UK, take a look at Wheelsmith options.
Then ditch the PRO parts, also heavy and relatively easy on the budget to replace and upgrade. Carbon post, bars, light alu stem from Ritchey, 3T, Pro, New Ultimate, etc.
Dura Ace pedals will allow you to run the same cleat, but be a tad bit lighter.
Aftermarket brakes will drop another 100+ grams and compressionless housing/cables will take some other grams off.
You'll find a lot of references on the site for all of those components if you snoop around some.

Once you start thinking about upgrading the group, then you might as well just get a second bike and use the M10 as a daily ride. The Ultegra you have is very faithful stuff day in and day out, year round.

totoboa

by totoboa

You are across the pond, so this is only conjecture. Don't know the weight of your wheel assembly. That Colnago weighs within a pound of my aluminum Windsor Wellington. A similar carbon one (Colnago) on the rack at the shop was surprise, 19 lbs with pedals. But over here there are two options for 1500g +/- wheelsets for under $500 US. American Racing and Neuvation. They would probably shave at least a pound and a half, er, 675g off that bike. There has to be similar smaller wheel makers that have similar performance, quality and affordable pricing.

KOGAN

by KOGAN

thanks for reply guys...

yes love the frame and fits like a glove so definitely keeping it!!!

wheels are main priority i think...want some alu rims, good climbing wheels, wanna spend no more than £1000? less if possible

was thinking ksyrium slr's? matte black would also be good?

any thoughts?

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Why not consider some Chinese budget carbon wheels? Not terrible budget wise and will definitely help with the weight... Beyond that, the post, stem and bars are relatively easy replacements.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I would avoid carbon brake track wheels, definitely if you are going to do a lot of climbing. In my experience, everything you gain is lost in the descent, because of the lack of brake power.

If weight is your priority, then hand built wheels are definitely the way to go. Extralite Hyperclinch wheels are extremely light yet still reliable. Another option you might want to consider is Tune Skyline wheels. There is a nice pair for sale right now on a Dutch second hand items website here, although you will need to replace the freehub to Shimano: http://link.marktplaats.nl/687510546

istigatrice

by istigatrice

SWijland wrote:In my experience, everything you gain is lost in the descent, because of the lack of brake power.

I disagree here, but alot of people have had similar experiences, perhaps do some background research into the rim before purchasing? Some rims seem to be worse than others.

And if you want alloy, for around 300 USD you could manage a cheap Kinlin XR-200 build with BHS hubs and Sapim Lasers which should slot under 1300g, depending on spoke count. Not very exotic but it'll leave you plenty of change
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

KOGAN

by KOGAN

Thanks guys for the suggestions...

went to my local bike shop today and had a look at a pair of ksyrium slr wheels. Very impressed and could get them for £1000.

Think i will probably go for them as the matte black should match the frame nicely and they seem relatively light and have good reviews

not so sure about changing bars/stem/seatpost atm...can anyone suggest a lighter aluminum alternative to what ive got?

thanks

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

The Marmotte in 6h45 on your first attempt?

I don't think you need a lighter bike.

KOGAN

by KOGAN

thanks Zakalwe...although I'm sure I would have gone quicker if I'd gone off in the first group of riders and therefore hadnt got stuck behind so many people up the Glandon or prepared better with my gearing! (39x25)

Still think bike could be a bit lighter as its currently a bit of a porker at 8.3kg!

Should save maybe 500g with swapping to Mavic Ksyrium SLRs, any other weight saving ideas would be much appreciated

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Tune hubs and something like an F20 rim could work out cheaper and possibly lighter, and that extra bit of stem needs a trim. Other than that, all the advice above is solid as always round here.

KOGAN

by KOGAN

Thanks for your advice Zakalwe. Tune hubs look intriguing. Not sure on rims though!? Want clinchers.

Yes should save a few grams getting steerer cut down as well.

Devon

by Devon

Save a few grams getting rid of unnecessary cassette teeth, 3 too many! :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com